Instruments in the White

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things Instruments in the White

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I got back from my trip back home & wanted to show off two instruments I picked up at International Violin in Baltimore.  The fiddle is a Guarneri Model 3073G made in Bulgaria, and the viola is a 16 1/2″ also made in Bulgaria.  The workmanship is very good…the wood selection is not perfect, but reflects the market demand which is making select wood harder & more expensive to find.  I want to mess with the graduation slightly, especially the channel, and do a scrape finish on the plates.  The fingerboard needs profiled, then the usual finish & varnish process, so it will be a while before I get to hear them.  I also got Whitner fine tune pegs for both of them.  Click on the picture for a larger photo…the grain doesn’t show up very well in this exposure, so the pic doesn’t do it justice.

• This topic was modified 4 months ago by rodger rodger.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow…they look beautiful…are you keeping them for yourself?

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

If they sound good, yes, I will…the Guarneri is a real sweetheart..

(That was a record response Cricket…2 minutes from 1st post)

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Beautiful wood. Looks like ebony fingerboards, nuts and saddles.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Rodger, I’m glad you made it home safely. Your new acquisitions look lovely. I can’t wait to see/hear the finished versions!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Rodger, I’m glad you made it home safely. Your new acquisitions look lovely. I can’t wait to see/hear the finished versions!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

yes, welcome home.  I was just linking my youtube and saw your post…must’ve been on here at the same time…lol. Maybe I should get some prize for rapid response! I’ll be glad to hear what they sound like too.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Rodger what doe’s the place look like is it a warehouse or what and good luck .

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Well, Steve, my brother didn’t want me to drive into Baltimore because of the traffic & all, so he had a friend that works in Baltimore pick them up for me.  That gave me more time to be with family, so I let him do it.  But this guy was very impressed with the store there.  He said they had a large selection of violins, which surprised me because they aren’t on their web site, but sounds like they supply much of the local market.  Evidently they have a show room and then a large behind the scenes place for the web business.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I also hit it pretty good with four goodwill violins….two 4/4 size & two half size for the kids here.  All four are perfectly solid, with no loose seams, or cracks.  One 4/4 has great wood in it, but no bridge, so I have to set it up and haven’t heard what it sounds like yet.  One of the half size is a very high quality German fiddle & it’s fifty years old.  Looks like I hit the jackpot with them.  It’s possible to get a real deal on the Goodwill auction, but you have to look them over.  If anyone sees a fiddle on Goodwill you are interested in, you can ask for advice on it here, and I, along with others can look it over and give our opinion on it.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I was curious because I am always dealing with just one of two people so I kind of figured a online warehouse . Thanks nice to know they have a real Store !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow…you guys know how to buy your fiddles.  I’ve only managed to get my hands on cheesy Chinese stuff..lol.  I gotta learn how to get decent fiddles with less-than-decent $$$.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in