Is Fiddle Music Ever Getting Much Beyond First or Second Position?

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum Is Fiddle Music Ever Getting Much Beyond First or Second Position?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m still a whole long way from moving above first position, but it looks like a whole lot is played in first position — maybe creeping up into second for a few high notes. But am I accurate in that impression?

I’m going to follow the tutorials as presented, for sure. If I didn’t I’d be really lost. But I recall when learning the guitar that they were talking about “cowboy chords”, which were generally in first position on the guitar, and happened to be the chords you learn first. And one could get away with just those chords for a whole lot of songs unless you were doing a note for note in the style of somebody known for their guitar mastery.

If I stick to mastering first position on the fiddle will that be enough to hold my own in a session or should I hold back to learn like up to third position or more before even thinking about playing with somebody else?

I wouldn’t mind just focusing on first position, believe me. But would I be considered not ready for prime time?

cricketcricket
    Participant

in my experience, i ve seen a whole lot of good fiddling happening right there in first position.  as you get more experience and comfort level with it, you might find yourself sliding up here and there…for instance, if your playing a d chord with finger one on e string and finger three on a string, in their respective positions of space one and space three,,,youll eventually get brave and crazy and find yourself sliding that configuration up to third position.  thats how it usually starts…next thing you know you just go haywire and try all sorts of double stop slides.  but keep in mind, you can do amazing and wonderful fiddling just staying put in first.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Stay in first position for now, unless the tune demands a quick sortie into the dangerous world of 2nd or 3rd. 🙂

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Stay in first position for now, unless the tune demands a quick sortie into the dangerous world of 2nd or 3rd. 🙂

Participant

Thanks Cricket and John. I’m very relieved to hear you can do lots of business in only first position and people won’t brand me a musical slacker.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Honestly, sometimes it’s better to stay put in first and do some basic, pleasant fiddling than to try to get all fancy and start sounding abominable…lol.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.