Is there a name for playing only when the singing pauses?

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Tune-specific help and comments Is there a name for playing only when the singing pauses?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by rodger rodger 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Shifter
    Participant

John, here is one from your “Requested tunes” section.  This guy on the fiddle sounds pretty good.

Is there a name for only playing “part way” or at natural pauses in between the singing?

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by  Shifter.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I call it the fills, but maybe there is an actual name…I’ll be curious to find out.

Bruce
    Participant

Fills is what I call it. It’s not hard once you get the hang of it.  I like to just “walk” the scale up to the next chord the guitars are are playing or walk it down the  pentatonic scale. Sometimes just play the arpeggio and sometimes play it an octave higher.  Mix it up so it sounds fresh without covering up the vocals and don’t overplay it. John is the expert so let’s see what he can offer.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Bruce.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Bruce and Cricket are correct. Used in a sentence:

“Shifter, can you play fills on the second verse?”

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Maybe I should drop my “the” before my fills…lol.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Cricket, I don’t know… It could probably go both ways!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

A more descriptive term for me playing only when the singing pauses would be, “hopelessly lost”…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol…the fills often crash into the fumbles!  It’s a delicate art, I think.  Doc Watson wax the king of good fills…he really got them exactly right!

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by cricket cricket.
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Playing fills well can be more involved than just playing a lead break…you have to know both the chord progression and the timing of the vocals fairly well…playing with others regularly helps this a lot.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Dave is right! Fills are tough.

If anyone doesn’t feel comfortable with playing fills, here is a handy warning sticker you can download and place on your instrument case. 🙂

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

But we’re supposed to be positive here, so shouldn’t it say something like: When the fills get tough- the tough get filled…or something like that?

…or maybe..”When the fills are unfulfilled where the vocals are vacant, the fiddler fiddles around & fumigates em.”   So the speakeze would then be…Hey John, can you fumigate the next vacant vocal…

well, I guess that could use a little work, but I’m sure you get the idea?

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by rodger rodger.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in