Jessica's Waltz

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    MoonShadowsMoonShadows
    Participant

I have been searching the internet for the past hour for information about this waltz, and all I can find is that it is Canadian.

Anyone familiar with it, or know any information about it?

cricketcricket
    Participant

Sure sounds Canadian. You could post a question below the video and hope the lady who put the video up will know something.

MoonShadowsMoonShadows
    Participant

I guess I could try that, but this vid was posted 10 years ago, and one responder wrote 7 years ago, “We don’t know who wrote it and where the waltz came from. Any information would be greatly appreciated.”. No response was ever posted to that question.

cricketcricket
    Participant

oh…probably won’t be helpful to do that, then…

cricketcricket
    Participant

This video says it’s a traditional Canadian tune that had been played by Don Messer…you’ve probably already seen it…but just in case…

MoonShadowsMoonShadows
    Participant

Thanks, cricket. I hadn’t seen this particular YouTube vid. I’ll try and find some info on Don Messer; maybe that will give me a lead.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Let us know anything you can find out!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Here’s the prettiest one I’ve heard:

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

I posted my version of it on my Fred’s Fiddle Forum 5. 🙂

I’ll post it here, too. I notice mine is quite similar to Don Messer’s version. I know my dad loved Don Messer and the Islanders and when they came on channel 6 out of Canada us kids were to make ourselves scarce so as not to make him miss that fiddle show. 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by FrederickFrederick.
    MoonShadowsMoonShadows
    Participant

Just found Don Messer’s version on YouTube before I came back here. Nice, and I do hear the similarities between your version and Don Messer’s. I really like this waltz.

I did find one version where it was called “Jessica’s (Fisherman) Waltz. Thinking Fisherman Waltz might be another name, I did a search, but it is a different tune.

cricketcricket
    Participant

That’s one sign it must be a pretty old tune…too many names and differing tunes associated with same names, or different names…lol…drive ya crazy.

MoonShadowsMoonShadows
    Participant

Yup, old tune. I did find this in the Canadian Encyclopedia: “Some tunes played in Canada have also been traced to probable German origin, eg, the “Seven-Step” (or “German Schottische”) popular on the prairies and the “Jessica Waltz” in the Ottawa Valley.”

cricketcricket
    Participant

Oh…interesting.  You know…it’s amazing to me I don’t know the actual details of this sort of stuff, but when I hear something Canadian, I just sorta get that feeling of Canadian stuff (never been there but it sorta takes me there anyway)…but also I get this feeling of beer steins and those little funny-looking knickers and hats with the feather…lol…never been to Germany or even to an Octoberfest (they have big ones nearby here, but it’s just too crowded for me to have ever felt like going to)…the culture screams out in the music.  The other day when a Nordic tune was played on Lion’s Den, I got that ethereal feeling of coldness…top-of=the earth kinda glittering iciness that those tunes suggest.  To me, even the tuning, the Black Mt Rag tuning on fiddle…it gives me that Nordic feeling and kinda messes with my head on that…lol.  It’s so weird that music, like actual traditional folk music, can just radiate a local culture like that!

JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

Beautiful, Fred.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Thanks, John. I appreciate it. 🙂

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

It’s a great tune !

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.