John Hartford's Old Time Fiddle Video

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? John Hartford's Old Time Fiddle Video

This topic contains 25 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 1 day ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Eddie
    Participant

I had surgery Monday and have a little time to catch up on some reading and watching. I’m watching John’s video for the umteenth time. Anyone ever watched this? What did you think?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Never saw it, but what do you think after watching it quite a bit?  Any tips to pass along?  Hope you are recuperating fast from the surgery!

Eddie
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I like it. He talks a lot about his techniques and different  practices to try to play what he hears in his head. He rambles a lot , but he really was an incredible talent.</p>

Eddie
    Participant

I finished it up last night late cause I got interrupted a lot. And he touches on all the different bow strokes that he learned over the years from different old times and how they compliment phrasing.

He discussed how to on phrasing and how any given tune is comprised like a casual conversation between two people. He has a lot to say about working with a metronome and his dislike of electric tuners (lol). He was big on get one string in tune with a reference tone and then tuning the violin to itself based on 5ths. Some days I can do o and some days I need that tuner….

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Eddie…Do you have a url for this video or does it have to be purchased? I looked up John Hartford’s Old Time Fiddle Video on YouTube. I found a lot of his songs, but none of the videos seemed to be about his techniques. Thanks…Jim

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow…sounds like my kinda video!

Nsam19
    Participant

Would any one have the link for the video – John Hartford’s Old Time Fiddle Video
    I’d love to see it

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Avatar Nsam19.
    Eddie
    Participant

I thought I replied earlier today, but evidently not. It is a dvd that I bought fromElderly.com a couple of years ago. It is produced my fiddler magazine I believe.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Looks like they don’t have it anymore.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

A lot of that stuff goes out of print pretty fast.  But guys, if you are interested in old music how-to videos, you might wanna check with your libraries…I worked in libraries to total about 25 years in all…you might be able to get your hands on what you want…if you can’t find it, ask a librarian if s/ he can get it for you from another library through ILL.  You might get lucky.  there’s lots of stuff you can get your hands on if you ask the people working there…maybe not so much if it was privately published or something.

• This reply was modified 4 days ago by cricket cricket.
    MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

That’s a good idea, cricket. I would never have thought of that. I don’t think I have set foot in a library since I started using a computer.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Is the name of the video “John Hartford’s Old Time Fiddle”. I want to make sure I have the correct title before I contact my library.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Never mind…found the full name online, but sold out. Still searching.

John Hartford’s Old Time Fiddling: Trying to Teach My Hands to Do What I Hear in My Head

John Hartford's Old Time Fiddling: Trying to Teach My Hands to Do What I Hear in My Head

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Well, I found it at Fiddler Magazine online, but each time I put it in my cart, my cart says I am ordering 1 of every item they have in the store at a cost of almost $4000. Rather than delete/update every other item in the cart (most of their items are just a few bucks, so there must be 200 items or more in my cart). I tried it on 3 different browsers, all with the same result. Don’t have time for that, so I just wrote to them. I’ll wait until they fix their cart glitch.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Just heard back from Fiddler Magazine. They are going to have their webmaster look into the cart snafu. In the meantime, they sent me an online invoice for the DVD. I should have it soon. Mission accomplished!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yay!  Hope to hear all about it soon!

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

I will give a review after viewing it.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Cool!  Hope you get a lot out of it.

Eddie
    Participant

I’ll be looking forward to hearing what you think about it. I really like John Hartford. I have his banjo videos as well. He had a great personality and was like a historian regarding the origin of the tunes and how it evolved from one player to the next, as well as from region to region.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

True!  He also was such a uniquely creative sort of musician.  He also was a steamboat captain and river enthusiast, and even wrote a really cool children’s book on steamboats and rivers.  When I was in college, he came and gave a really nice concert there…I don’t think he was that big on his own at the time, not sure, because I’ve just never kept up with professional musicians, never bought recordings or went to concerts (except in college I went because they were free and just something to do)…but anyway, his concert was awesome back then.  He had the piece of plywood and salt or sugar or whatever he sprinkled on it and danced and fiddled and sang and told funny stories for a couple of hours.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

I was looking at his website at https://www.johnhartford.com/

“He was a Hall-of-Fame musician, award-winning songwriter,
    steamboat pilot, author, artist, disc jockey, calligrapher,
    dancer, folklorist, father, historian, and frustrated librarian.

John Hartford won Grammy awards in three different decades, recorded a catalog of more than 30 albums, and wrote one of the most popular songs of all time, Gentle On My Mind. He was a regular guest and contributor on the Glen Campbell Good Time Hour and the Smothers Brothers Show.
    He added music and narration to Ken Burns’ landmark Civil War series, and was an integral part of the hugely popular “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” soundtrack and Down From The Mountain concert tour. But that hardly explains John Hartford.”

The video arrived in the mail yesterday. A small 26 page booklet with the song transcriptions comes with the DVD. I don’t like to watch or read things in pieces, so with our seasonal business at a frenzy right now,  it may be a while before I can sit down and watch the whole two hour DVD.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

All around Renaissance Man and Great Guy. I saw him in an interview once on TV and he talked about his wife a lot during questions about music or other things…I thought, wow, that’s different…shows a good person inside I think to answer questions like that. Hope you do enjoy it when you can get to it!

• This reply was modified 1 day ago by cricket cricket.
    Eddie
    Participant

He talks about his wife in this DVD. How he drove her crazy learning how to reply to questions in the house with the fiddle in stead of speaking. It is funny and amazing to hear him articulate words with just the fiddle. He says that the fiddle and bow is the closest thing to the vocal chords.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

I’ve heard it said before the fiddle is the instrument most like the human voice.

Eddie
    Participant

Well thankfully my wife and kids have never ran me out of the house for talking. But they definitely have for playing the fiddle. 😎

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

LOL…I pity, and highly appreciate, the family of those of us who have struggled through the beginning learning process on the fiddle…nothing else in this world (maybe some species of monkeys) sounds quite like us fumbling fiddlers!  It’s a good day when the family stays inside!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.