John on, Over the waves !

This topic contains 28 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Steve Srader Steve Srader 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

John on all of the track links on over the waves , I am holding my fiddle in one hand , I lay my bow down on my lap I reach over with my free hand and press play and before I can pick up my bow off my lap the metronome starts it’s six click start , I have to get my fiddle in place and bow by the sixth click , it almost always catches me not ready , So I get my fiddle in place first before I press play and it’s still a rush with the bow , On the main performance video I can add more time by starting my capture before I press the performance video play , But That can’t be done with the tracks ?

I don’t need a lot of time but 10 seconds would be nice before the metronome starts clicking ?????

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Is there a way I can add a short delay to the video player , That would help on lots of different lesson tracks that start to quickly !!????

By the way I can gain about a 4 second delay if I stop the video at the ending of the last note when the video or track is on loop .

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

If you use just the audio track you can add time on the front in most any sound recording software.

I believe imovie will let me do this with video as well…

Do you have the video downloaded or are you playing from the website?

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Dave , I am using the VLC media player this site recommended I can’t find anything inside the controls of the VLC media player that will delay , I’ve been working around it the best I can for almost two years , but it’s a small thing that would be of help to myself and other people trying to use the tracks to not be to rushed ! You know , have time to get composed and ready for Freddy !

Dave , I have all lessons I work on downloaded complete all videos for each lesson and all the mp3 tracks also !

Cricket had said the 2nd half was better and part of that is because of a rushed start that’s hard to get off on the right foot so to speak !

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Steve, that’s a great suggestion.  I need to think about that kind of thing when I make videos and jam tracks. I will work on that. Speaking of getting off on the right foot, I guess you could get your fiddle into position then press the space bar with your toe. :)

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatar John (BGD).
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Thanks John , I just think it would be good thing for future lessons and it’s to bad there’s probably not a way to have a computer correct the past lessons !

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Steve, as I wrote earlier, you could probably use software such as “movie maker” for Windows, or iMovie for Mac, and add some time on the front end of a video.

I just used Movie Maker to add ~100 seconds to the beginning of one of johns mp3 tracks to see how it worked…having never done it before it took me about five minutes…

Audacity works great for adding an extended click-track to the beginning…just create a short click track and then you can manually slide the tracks so John’s recorded click matched up with the end of your new extended track…combine the tracks and done…

I believe you could actually copy & paste the clicks from John’s track in Audacity to avoid creating your own clicks…

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Ha! John, I just realized I’ve done that before! Lol

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Gunnar , must be nice to be so limber to start your video with your toes !

Dave I will try to learn to modify some of the tracks even if I destroy them I can always delete them and redownload , Dave at least by exposing the problem our future lessons will be more beginner friendly !

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

yep, I can relate…I’ve whipped my bow up before, trying to get started in time, and missed my fiddle completely …haha…that’s what caused me to learn to add time to the beginning. :roll:

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Dave thanks for your help ! I now have Audacity and after trail and error have now added 6 sec of silence to the beginning of Over the Waves , and will soon fix all the ones I am working on ! Thanks again Dave !

6 sec seems to be plenty extra time before the metronome clicks !

I cannot believe I have wasted almost two years of being rushed !

Audacity is a open source / free / donations accepted !

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

That’s great Steve!

I’m happy it worked out for you!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Dave , We at BGD should give you a award , So by My decree I give you  ! The great helper Award ! Thanks again !

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

hahaha…you’re welcome…I’m happy to help in my little ways when I can.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Steve, yep, I’m very flexible (I can do the splits) and I keep my computer low enough to reach easily. I second the motion to give Dave the great helper award.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Great idea, Steve.  A new category of award inspired by Dave!  They oughta include this in the annual awards ceremony…and it should involve video help plus conversation, because the videos just really bring the points home!  Good job, Dave!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Guys, I’m catching up with some stuff around here, stuff I fell behind on over the past week, and, well, for whatever reason…Over the Waves just won’t step away from my brain…lol.  I can’t stop thinking about it.  I played it on the viola back when it was pretty new, about a couple of years ago…I learned it on fiddle in G, basically following John’s lesson, then played it on the viola for fun, in C, because the fingering in C works out just like G does for fiddle.  Well then I just recently played it on fiddle in G for my presonus, of course…lol…the only time I play anything these days.  Now I keep thinking it and thinking it, over and over and over those waves, as I work some around here…toying with the idea of trying it on the cello…except, I keep the thing tuned sawmill-like…CGCG for cello…other wise, well, I just can’t seem to even reach the notes of anything.  I’m not so sure how Over the WAves would work out in crosstuning, so … I don’t know.  But for now, back to work, and my poor ol’ tired brain trying to think how this would work on the cello in CGCG, as I go along…lol.  Maybe it would be a disaster, not sure, or maybe I could fumble my way through…it’s just that over the waves will not leave me alone, so then my mind starts going all over the place with it.  Maybe I’d be over over the waves if I’d take up a sport and learn to surf…lol.  No, probably not.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

ha, thanks guys, but the real reward for me is being able to  watch someone progress, latch onto a concept, or jump a hurdle. I’m just happy to be able to assist when I can.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Well Dave , You created a monster , Using Audacity I have reworked 25 tunes , I added 6 sec silence to the front of each ! I cut and got rid of commentary  leading up to a tune ! I increased the volume of metronome clicks so I can hear the kick off better , and last on some fast tunes I slowed them down where they still sound good but a reduction in speed to make it easier to play along , So Ha , Dave’s Audacity monster is created ! Now , John’s performance tunes will be what I decide , and no one will ever know John ever existed , Auh ha ha ha ha ha ha he he he ho ho mine all mine !

Thanks Dave !

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

haha, that’s awesome Steve!  I can just picture you, hooded and “dry washing’ your hands, with an evil cackle hunched over your computer….hahaha

Sounds like you’re mastering that software mighty quickly!

Glad it’s working out well for you.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Audacity is great and easy to use ! thanks again Dave !

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Oops Dave , Ran into a small problem some of the ones I slowed down changed key pitch so I can not play them , What a rued awakening , I did not notice until I tried to play along with my new CD I created , So now I got to make a new CD , Darn it . So I need to play along with each one and preview it before I save and put it on the CD !

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Also 6 sec silence before the clicks start is a long time I think 3 or 4 sec may be better , as we need time to get ready but we don’t wont to wait either ! Ha

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Steve, thanks for experimenting with this! Maybe 5 seconds is a happy medium?

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Dave,

I think you are helping many of us.  thank you.

I also would like to see John maybe give us a count off before we begin.

One and a two   go!    or something like that. Maybe a tag ending from the 5 chord would help on some songs.

I have just finished learning John’s version of “Over the Waves”  I haven’t tried playing with the rhythm tracks yet. I get to try this in a jam tomorrow night with an experienced fiddler starting it off.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

John if there are clicks or , a  one and a two and a three ,  Then 4 seconds are enough ahead of the clicks or commentary to get ready !

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Kenny , good luck playing over the waves , I have finally got strong enough to play it without the guitar players destroying me ! and if I use the rhythm tracks no problem either !

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.