John you should post some stuff from this years fiddle camp

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? John you should post some stuff from this years fiddle camp

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I would love and like to see some of what’s going on at the Camps with all the different groups you got going , So is there anything to share ?

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Yeah!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yeah, yeah yeah!

Eddie
    Participant

I would love to see it as well. I would like to attend sometime.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

John I hear the advanced students are doing Cowboy Waltz ? So how bout a clip of them doing Cowboy waltz ?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hey we could have our own fiddle camp here if John did it on a live youtube…which I have no idea how people do…but I’ve watched a few live youtubes and you can write in stuff, questions, comments, etc., while the person on the youtube is talking or whatever.  Maybe it’s not a good idea…but might be fun.  At least the Lion’s Den Award Night would be good as a live youtube, possibly…lol…there ya go, John.  I can think up a lot more work for you too, in case you get bored…lol.

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hey I’m about to run off to Fiddle Camp right now… With the girls teaching and Jennifer watching two toddlers, we have lost our photographer! I will try to get some pics though. :)

Tonight’s lessons:
    Beginner 1: Boil Them Cabbage Down (continued)
    Beginner 2: Home Sweet Home
    Intermediate: Cowboy Waltz
    Advanced: Shady Grove and Creek’s A Risin’ (Aubrey Haney)

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Found a old lesson by John !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I remember watching that one as I ate lunch at my desk at work so many years ago…I didn’t even own a fiddle, and had no time for much music stuff…just liked watching the lessons on his old youtube site.  Later, when I was approaching the possibility of retirement, I bought a fiddle, anticipating becoming very broke in retirement years, but with some time to learn to play…lol.  Well, we aren’t rich, but not as broke as we figured, and I’ve had time to do some learnin’ on the fiddle, but not as much as I figured.  But, thanks, John…you were right there with me at lunch…lol.

Eddie
    Participant

Thanks for reposting that. I hadn’t seen it. I have always loved Doc Watson and his his version of tunes for guitar. Ill have to try this on the fiddle.

• This reply was modified 3 days ago by Avatar Eddie.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Eddie your welcome !

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

I’ll try to get the campers playing Cowboy Waltz soon! I haven’t actually heard them yet since my daughter Lorien and her friend Lilly is teaching the Intermediate class! Here are some pictures and video from today, we spend some time with some of our fiddle campers in Todd, NC before a concert at Annie Cook Park.

http://toddnc.org/events-activities/summer-concerts/

This is the Walker family, and their family band name is “Picking Thistle.” As you can tell, they have a lot of talent!

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

In a related post, here are cousins Lorien and Sam playing “I’ll Fly Away” at the family reunion last week:

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Thank You John that is nice , I look forward to the Cowboy Waltz !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

John, it must be such a cool thing to live in a small community that really loves music…I’m assuming that’s where you live.  We used to…I mean, there weren’t fiddlers except for very elderly people…don’t know why the younger generation went nuts with guitars and laid the fiddles aside, but that’s what happened…I guess Merle Travis coming from the area affected everyone pretty much.  But…ugh…this place where I live now…well, if I ever move again, I’m gonna check out the local music culture first…lol…I’ll say that much about that.  Looks like fun times there in N. Carolina!  Hope the fiddle camp goes great this year!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.