Just A Hi

This topic contains 32 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  kjdebolt 1 month ago.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author

pipcan
    Participant

Hi Guys And Gals I Joined Up Today Thought I Would Say Hi I Have Started Learning In The Last Week And Hoping To Get A Couple A Tunes Under Me Belt

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

good luck and have fun lots of good songs to learn here .

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hi.  Welcome aboard, and Happy Fiddling!

pipcan
    Participant

thanks will post a vid tomorrow to show my progress in just a week i’m gutted i never started sooner because its really enjoyable im 29 now

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

Hello and welcome. Keep playing and have fun ! ! !

kjdebolt
    Participant

Welcome.  Have fun!  Can’t wait to hear your first Lion’s Den.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Waiting to see your video!   Don’t worry, we all wish we woulda picked it up sooner in life than we did…I think even seven year olds feel that way.  Seventy year olds say it too.  But the important thing is we are doing it now.  Can’t wait to see your progress.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Welcome to the site!  Plenty of help and support here…we’re all in this together. Have fun and don’t get discouraged.

Dave

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Pipcan, hello and welcome! Please let me know if you need any help posting a video in the Lion’s Den. We are so glad to have you here!

pipcan
    Participant

thank you i will keep you all posted. o and bravo john for the hurricane its how i found this site

pipcan
    Participant

ok guys and girld been practicing a week now and this is a little taste lol

pipcan
    Participant

its not perfect be really happy with the progress

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Progress is what its about! I don’t think anyone has posted a “perfect” video yet…for sure not me anyway…I usually end up just chuckling at my mistakes I’ve recorded and try to fix those parts in future practice.

Next time you post a video of you playing you might want to put it in the “Lions Den”…that’s where we all share what we’re working on with each other. It’s also a “private” thread so only other members can see it.

pipcan
    Participant

yea i will do buddy i save most of the videos to hopefully do a progress video by the end.

That Is The 5th Time Attempting The Song In the Video Im Hoping By End Of Next Week I Want To At Least Hit All The Right Keys. I Did Invest In A Sticker To Add To It To Hopefully Help Me Hit The Right Keys

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

5 takes isn’t too bad…I’ve tried as many as 30 on a tune before I gave up.

Keeping a record of improvement is a good way to go! I just finished putting up two videos of tunes (Road to Columbus & Bill Cheatum) to compare with the original I did Six months ago. I knew I had improved a bit, but when I compare the videos I’m much happier with the progress I’ve made.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Most of us probably have to do lots of takes around here…lol.  I know I sure do.  Pipcan, do you have a mute on your fiddle?  Seems to me you might wanna try bowing farther away from your bridge…get a fuller sound that way.  Getting off to a good start!  Thanks for sharing your progress!

pipcan
    Participant

thank you cricket yes i have a mute, i have been trying to keep an eye on it sliding down sometimes i forgets. lately having to rest on my knee due to my wrist is quite painful during bowing. is this normal during the starting progress. and thank you for your comment

o and i just got my sticker and its like learning the violin again never knew the darn 2 fret and 3rd are so close

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I think usually starting out we might get a lot of aches and pains because we tense up doing something unfamiliar, and also trying too hard.  But of course it’s natural to try too hard because we wanna hurry up and learn.  If you have pain in your wrist bowing, you might wanna warm it up a little first…move it around and stretch it out a little before playing and then take breaks to rest it or stretch it during your playing.  The first week I got my fiddle and started to play, I gave myself a case of tennis elbow by trying to hard to bow in Shuffles…lol…ouch.  That took months to heal.  I still practiced,..but with a lot of warming up my arms and with an ace bandage on the painful part.  Playing an instrument can be like putting athletic demands on our fingers, hands, arms, etc.  When we first jump in, gotta go easy.  Hard to do because we wanna play so bad. Warming up and gently stretching and resting might be a good idea at first.  Usually we learn the ergonomic ways to handle the instrument, eventually.  Maybe an ace bandage would help your wrist…I don’t know.  You might want to slowly observe your wrist as you bow and see if you could make changes that seem to work better for your wrist.  Take it easy and enjoy your fiddling journey!

pipcan
    Participant

thank you cricket for the advice

kjdebolt
    Participant

welcome aboard  people here are very friendly and supportive.  enjoy yourself – that’s what it is all about.  I was out this last week cleaning up the mess that was my house in rockport.  It will take a few more trips I fear 🙁  However, Samaritan’s purse alive and well there!!!  They cam to my sisters house while I was there to help her take out drywall.  what a wonderful group.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Pipcan, thanks for posting! There is some sort of audio effect going on, but I can hear what you are playing and you’re off to a great start! Please post again soon.

KJ we’re still thinking about you down there. We’ll be volunteering at SP again this Christmas for their “Operation Christmas Child” project. Here is a post I made after taking a group of my fiddle campers over to the SP warehouse to volunteer with shoeboxes:

https://bluegrassdaddy.com/jesus-loves-the-little-children-all-the-children-of-the-world-fiddle-lesson/

pipcan
    Participant

Hi It Had Seemed My Bent My Bridge And I Only Just Noticed Lol I Will Be Doing A Video Today

pipcan
    Participant

Canon In D

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I can see your frustration don’t give up . Try using some Andrea green Rosin its a really good rosin and softens the harsh violin sounds that irritate your ears .

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yes, you’re obviously frustrated, but I don’t think it’s bad, really.  I do think it might be less frustrating for you if you start with something easier, shorter.  Are you wanting to play classical?  That’s pretty tough and it might be easier in a class or with a teacher.  If you just want folk stuff, more or less, like old time, Bluegrass, country, Irish, folk songs and such, you can probably do ok on your own, although some people still feel better if they get with a teacher.  If folksy is ok with you…might wanna try something that sticks with two strings and sounds good at any tempo…something like East Virginia Blues, or the old time version of Waterbound ( not the more modern Waterbound), or there’s always Bile them Cabbage Down…there’s easy hymns and songs you can find here with lessons, music, tabs, etc.  I mean, I hate to give advice, because I’m not much of a fiddler or expert on anything, but it seems to me you’d enjoy your progress easier if you’d find something easy that doesn’t involve a lot of notes, strings to play on, etc.   Like I said, I don’t think what you played was bad at all, but it’s a tough choice for a beginner.  I agree with Steve…experiment within rosin, bow tension, might be better if you take the mute off, unless it hurts your ears…find a simple beginner tune on here or wherever you can and concentrate on that.  Sooner than you think, you’ll be moving on to more complicated stuff.  Fiddle is about the hardest instrument you can play…I played lots of instruments in the past but was amazed at how much trouble I had learning the fiddle…there are many others who I’ve heard say the same thing.  You’re not doing nearly as bad as you think…you’re actually doing pretty good, but it’s just not what you want…YET!  Like Steve says…don’t give up…just put one foot in front of the other…soon enough you’ll look back and see you’ve come a long way.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hi Pipcan, this is not bad! Your left hand is agile the pitch is good. You are going to be a good fiddler. For some reason, you are not getting the right tone out of your fiddle. You could start with a good bit more rosin, then try adding some pressure to overcome some of the “thinness.” A little extra pressure might also keep the bow from bouncing as much. Also, try bowing more in the center of the bow than the tip.

You seem to have a good ear, and that can be frustrating while you wait for everything (tone, mechanics) else to catch up!

pipcan
    Participant

pipcan
    Participant

Thanks Steve And Cricket. I Choose Classical Because i Love A Challenge, I’m A Coder By Trade And I Sort Have Maxed Out in name and Knowledge And Skill. I Cant Find A Challenge In Coding Anymore, I Thirst For It In The Above Video I Really Am Chuffed, I Found If I Tense My Right Arm At The Muscle, It Just Makes It Sound Amazing Tiring, But With My Smile Worth it , Thanks Guys And Girls This Group Has Help Alot, And Always Great To Hear Someone With Something Positive Other That “What Do The People In The Building Think” Lol

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Very nice, Pipcan!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Very good! The Stentor is a very decent violin for the money. I hope things continue to get easier as you go along!

kjdebolt
    Participant

John- thanks for the thoughts about Texas.  I fear it will take months to get everything under control and a couple of years to get things back to close to where they were and that’s just for my family.  The whole town is still in a mess.  Trash everywhere from people tearing down their houses.  Sad 🙁  However – as to Samaritan’s purse.  My church here in Arizona does the Christmas Shoe Boxes and of course I’m all in for a few of these!  What a wonderful organization.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I’ll upload some photos when we volunteer with the shoeboxes this December! Thanks, KJ, for the update. You all are out of the news cycle, but still deep in recovery mode. We are praying for you all.

kjdebolt
    Participant

thanks John.. Prayers are always welcome

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in