Just amazing Awesomeness

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Just amazing Awesomeness

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    fran h
    fran h
    Participant

I don’t know how I manage to just happen upon  jaw-dropping instances.  It was pretty amazing when I happened upon my fiddle teacher by complete accident.  And I just discovered that a friend of mine has been working at some of the concerts for the Steep Canyon Rangers. He gets all access backstage passes and hangs out with the stage crew. But that’s not jaw-dropping : so I have found this really nice jam that I have been going to every week for the past 4 weeks and its been really good and helpful and all the guys play great and have a good time. But this past week a new lady is there playing fiddle. Well, cool, another lady and maybe we can talk and be friends. I could tell she was a beginner and thats OK. . .we all start somewhere. . so at some point during the jam one of the guys looks towards her and her friend and ask if he is going to introduce her. Long story shortened. . .hold on to your seat. . . get ready. . .she is Bobby Hick’s daughter. Yes. . .read it again. . .I thought the guys were kidding. I was waiting for the punch line.  but she is really Bobby Hick’s daughter. I talked with her afterwards and she is really nice. She is just learning to play but says here dad won’t teach her because he doesn’t have the patience for beginners. Anyway, she did say she comes to that jam whenever she has the chance. She lives in Raleigh. . maybe 35 miles from the jam. How randomly lucky is it to have met Bobby Hick’s daughter??? Here is the last song from the jam. She is the lady behind the mandolin player in the blue shirt

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Good grief…that’s wild!  You know Bobby Hick’s daughter now?  Wow!!! Is Bobby still living?  Maybe he might stop in to visit…lol.

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

Sorry to be away so long, but yes Cricket Bobby Hicks is still around. He is being inducted this September into the IBMA hall of fame.  I hope his daughter, Melissa, makes it back to another jam. I enjoyed talking with her just from a friendly perspective and not for who her Dad is. And it makes 2 females in a total of 14 or so players at the jam.  We talked a lot about music and different ways of learning.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sounds like a great friendship in the making!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That is awesome, Fran! I have talked to her a year or so ago. She may remember me. It’s really cool that you two are fiddling together. I’m really happy that you have a good teacher and have found a good community of musicians.

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

So another amazingly awesome thing occurred.  My husband and I went to another jam in Burlington, NC.  It’s fun to get to these jams and see if I can play with whoever shows up, and its fun to play. So. . . .guess who shows up for this jam???? . . .Nathan Aldridge. . .the new fiddle player for IIIrd Time Out.  I don’t know who all may know of IIIrd Time Out, but they just in the last month hired a new fiddle player and IIIrd Time Out seems to be pretty popular. So Nathan is playing banjo at the jam . . . and burning it up . . so I kinda ease in and do some back up and fill ins. I have no idea what they were playing. (I usually don’t know at any jam what is being played)  So we played through maybe 5 or 6 songs and the group of 6 or 7 players even gave me a couple of breaks.  And the best part. . .at some point between songs. . .Nathan turned to me and asked if that was me he was hearing on fiddle? I said well, it does appear that I am the only one with a fiddle so I guess it was me. He said I was sounding real good.  WOW. That was a real nice compliment. Now I wasn’t playing anything fancy because I can’t, but it was nice to know that this pro guy thought it sounded good enough for him to compliment me.  And my head has probably grown 5 sizes  LOL

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol…time to buy a new hat, I guess!  That is pretty awesome, Fran…I’m so happy to hear stories like that.  You must’ve been playing mighty good!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Fran, that is awesome! Kudos to you for being bold and joining in! I wish I could have heard that jam.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in