Ken Burns PBS Country Music

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Ken Burns PBS Country Music

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar KnoxRanch 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Angela
    Participant

Did anybody watch the series?  What did you think?  Also, there was a special performance at the Ryman prior to the series that was very good.  I’m pretty sure you can watch these on the PBS website also.  And, they are rerunning them on PBS if you want to catch up.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

We managed to watch the first two episodes in bits and pieces…I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode, especially, and it reminded me of good stuff I need to play over the next few opportunities on the Presonus.  I’m Thinking Tonight of my Blue-Eyes, etc., etc.  Been humming some of that stuff as I sweat and shovel, etc.  Well but anyway, we didn’t get too far, just barely to episode 3 and then just haven’t gotten back to it.  It wasn’t as interesting to me once the commercialization of the music starting happening more and more…I guess that’s the part I”m not crazy about, personally…that I think ruined a lot of good folk music by taking it out of the hands of ordinary people and putting it into the hands of the big stars.  But I don’t know…we will probably try to get back into episode 3 and watch the entire thing and I will keep an open mind and see if I can appreciate what-all went into the commercialization of music moreso than I ever did before.  What did you think, Angela?  Did you watch the whole thing?

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by cricket cricket.
    Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

Just started watching it and have only seen two episodes so far.  It is interesting to learn about the early musicians and also how different cultures influenced the adaptation of various instruments and songs. I have enjoyed all of Ken Burns’ documentaries and look forward to seeing all of this one.

Joe

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I gotta get back to that one.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

I watched the first episode. Loved it. Not sure I will like the latter episodes as much since I am not as big a fan of “modern” country music, but I really enjoy learning about the early days. (I’m kind of stuck there since I love Old Time music.) The stories of these early days are mesmerizing for me, along with all those pictures and clips. I remember watching some of these folks (who are now gone) as a kid when the Grand Ole Opry was still televised weekly (back in the 1960’s?) (Finally learned why they called it an “opry”!) My favorites were the Carters, especially Mother Maybelle. I really liked learning more about AP, Sara and Maybelle. Jimmee Rodgers was amazing! And, how about that Uncle Dave Macon? I never knew many radio stations were started by companies to sell their products! Just some random thoughts… I am sure I will watch this episode again….so much there! Looking forward to watching Episode 2.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

What Moonshadows said!  And now I can’t remember again if you’re Jim or John, but I think Jim.  So…what Jim said (I think)…sorry…lol.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Yes, cricket, Jim. Don’t fret it.

Angela
    Participant

Yes…I really like all the episodes.  The first 3 or so were my favorites.  Music, history, anthropology, philosophy, psychology….lots of stuff to think about.  The commercialization is a two-edged sword.  Music certainly gave some people a much better way of life.  It’s amazing how close genius and destructive choices are, though.  In any event, Ken Burns did an amazing job telling the story, I think.  It was pretty balanced.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I can’t wait to get back to it…Jim, I’ll have to put on my “Don’t Fret” t-shirt…lol.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That’s it!

KnoxRanch
    Participant

I watched all eight episodes as soon as they came on. Loved the history behind the stories and learning about the musicians. The series also provided me with a fun topic to talk about with my elderly parents, who have listened to bluegrass and country music all their lives.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.