Kentucky Waltz

This topic contains 32 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Nothing will give you the blues like trying to slide up the neck for Bill Monroe’s “Kentucky Waltz.”

https://bluegrassdaddy.com/kentucky-waltz-fiddle-lesson/]

• This topic was modified 47 years ago by .

Anonymous

thanks john,
    just what I needed….

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Great! It’s an awesome tune. Let me know if you have any more requests.

Anonymous

thanks john for doing my request. Will work on this tune for the next week or two. For a next request, Some time or another I would like to try the song Walkng in my Sleep. It may be above my skill level but heck nobody will loose any sleep here ……
    thanks again.

Kennedy Family
    Participant

It’s a beautiful song!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thank you! It is one of my favorites 🙂

Anonymous

Hello John
    Any chance you could post a note version in addition to the tab version on Kentucky Waltz and all tunes?

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hi! There are some complicated copyright issues with posting notation, so I am only posting notation on songs that are in the public domain.

Gary Lunsford
    Participant

Just when I think I am getting good, you spank us with Kentucky Waltz. This site is great!!!!

Russell Hardie
    Participant

John, do you have this in standard notation?

Thx,
    Russell

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hi Russel, I think I have taken care of the copyright issues, so now I can post this notation… I will work on it ASAP!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Done!

Russell Hardie
    Participant

Perfect. Thanks !

caintuck
    Participant

Hi,
    I searched BDG.com for information, I may have overlooked it, but if I am being redundant, then I aplogize.

I am working on Kentucky Waltz by Bill Monroe, however, I have sort of run into a roadblock on the fiddle tabs. This is the tabs that are similar to the Chubby Wise break, 1946. Starting at the 21st bar, above it says, “slide up to the third position”. What is meant by third position? Below in the staff it begins with the number 1 with a “period” over a 3 with a “period”. What does the “period” after the numbers mean? The 1. and 3. doublestop still seems to be in same position as the 1 and 3 without the period. Any help would be appreciated!

caintuck

Angela
    Participant

Hello fellow Bluegrass Bluegrasser….

I can help you out on this.  Third position is when you slide up the neck and play higher rather than the regular position down by the scroll.  In KY Waltz you’re playing 3rd finger on the A and 1st finger on the E.  Leaving those fingers down, slide up the neck until the 1st finger on E is now in the place where the 3rd finger on E would normally be…the 3rd finger on the A will now be right up next to the body of the fiddle.  John has a lesson about positions here:

Hand and Finger Positions for Violin

Hope that helps…

Angela

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thanks Angela, that was a great explanation. Thanks also for posting that link!

I took a look at the tabs, and realized I posted those before I taught the lesson on hand positions. I have just now updated those tabs to the newer style.

Now when you open the PDF, you should see both tabs and notation on the same page. The tab portion has been updated to be in line with the teaching in the link Angela posted.

Beneath the tab numbers, starting after measure 21, are circled finger numbers. These numbers tell you which fingers to use when you are in the third position.

The dot behind the number just means to hold the note 50% longer than usual. For example, a 1/2 note with a dot behind it would be held for 3/4 instead.

Hopefully this helped!

caintuck
    Participant

Thanks Angela and John,
    I do appreciate the new Kentucky Waltz pdf updates! Things are much clearer now! You guys are great!

caintuck

caintuck
    Participant

Hi John,
    Had I been able to see the videos you made on Hand Positions, etc. I would have understood a lot more about them. I have an old Vista 64 laptop. I tried to download Mozilla as my browser so I could you Vimeo, but it denied it for 64 bits and would only load to 32 bits. I finally tried Chrome and it allowed me to download Vimeo free and now I just went through those videos and all the other lesson videos, as Gu would say, “Yeeehaaa!! I feel like a dummy for requesting that information. But, thank you! You make it very clear!

caintuck

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Yay! You’re no dummy! :) Please let me know if you need anything here at BGDU.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

PS~ I’m moving this thread to the KY Waltz page. See you there!

caintuck
    Participant

Thanks John, BGDU…BLUEGRASSDADDY UNIVERSITY Wow! John, I feel more important already! Of course, I will expect a diploma, of course that’s years away! LOL!

Hey, by the way, called my friend Harold Shedd this morning and we talked quite a while, he just turned 84, he’s doing great, he’s always positive and got big plans for the future. He’s such a great guy! He’s working with Alabama again, but he told me the project they did a little over a year ago, didn’t get much airplay, but he said they still sell out at their performances and they doing quite well with their own marketing. I am so glad for those guys! They are genuine and down to earth people, I wish them the best!

That’s what I like about BGDU, genuine folks that have a desire to help each other! Again, thanks for all you do for us!

caintuck

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Caintuck, it’s a great feeling when you walk across the stage of the BGDU Convocation Center, shake the hand of BluegrassDaddy himself, take your diploma, and move the tassel over to the other side of the cap. Just a few more credit hours and you’ll be there! 🙂 That’s cool about Alabama. I’m a lifelong fan!

caintuck
    Participant

Yeah, that great day is a comin’! Hallelujah and pass the biscuits! What a day that will be! Gonna look straight in the eyes of Professor Bluegrassdaddy, himself and say, “Doggone it, if we just didn’t get’r done” as I throw my tassled hat high in the air of that eight foot ceiling.

caintuck

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hahaha yes, watch out for the ceiling fan. We need to graduate a bunch of us together then head to the Myrtle Beach for a big celebration. We’ll be the ones bringing our fiddles to karaoke night.

Hey, if you get the Kentucky Waltz down, that has to be good for some kind of graduation celebration. It is a tough tune! I think it was the first tune I learned that had notes up the neck. That was a long time ago!

caintuck
    Participant

Yeah, Myrtle Beach it is then! I pretty much got Ashokan Farewell down. So I chose Kentucky Waltz, and John you ain’t a kiddin’ that tune don’t like me at all! I listen to your beautiful fluid movements, I mean on the fiddle, and I tear up and cry like my 3 year old great grandson on a temper tantrum. But I ain’t discouraged, no sirree. Ya see, I am bound and determined to make that little skinny necked thing do what it’s told. Oh yeah I lay it down and mumble to myself a few adjectives but, five minutes later I get back in there and slide the littlest finger I got on my left hand on up to 4 in unison with the A string. Hurts like a son of gun, but in the not so distant future, it will surrender! At least tell the next time I try to play Kentucky Waltz!

Angela
    Participant

so, John…I was wondering if I could apply for a work study position as a TA for BGDU???  I have great references.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Of course! And I could definitely use a research assistant. But, we have pretty low stipend rates here…

caintuck
    Participant

Angela, that would be great, if you could manage to do it below the stipend rates, at least you’d be starting out on the ground floor!

John, I want to be the head basketball coach! Yeah, go BIG BGDU!!!
    Hey, John I’m so cheap you think I was doing it for nothing!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I guess the saying, “he did it for a song” would really apply here.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

John, was you just waiting for the right time to use that line?

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Rock, I have waited almost two years to use it.

Caintuck waltzed right into that one.

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

Just added this to my hope to learn…someday list.   This list takes up a good chunk of my 3 ring binder too

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Ralph, I hope to hear you playing it soon!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in