Kentucky Waltz (Corrected)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by fiddliferous1950 fiddliferous1950 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Starting over with this thread since I don’t know how to delete it.
    I’m going to try cricket’s method this time.

The photo is one I took of East Lake in Osceola Iowa from this October.

Kentucky Waltz from John’s lesson after three weeks of practice.  I have never played in 3rd position before or used many double stops.  I can hear plenty of places that need improvement, but this is a start.  Just me and a naked violin solo.

If you have thoughts on how to move forward in my practice let me have it.
    You can be critical because it is the only way I will improve.  I promise I won’t take it personal.  I am here to learn how to play the fiddle better.

Kenny

• This topic was modified 4 months ago by Kenny Kenny.
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Kenny, that’s pretty darn good buddy!

I’m impressed your intonation is this good at this stage of playing.

Most anything I could be critical about will likely iron itself out as you play more.

The only suggestion I have is to recommend using a metronome or backup track to play with.

Dave

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Dave,

I played the fiddle for a couple of years a while back just didn’t use double stops or 3rd position.  I gave it up and started to play the mandolin because it had frets but realize that I really love the sound of the fiddle.

I hear what your saying about the rhythm.

I know I messed up with the slide from 1st position to 2nd as John uses the same bow direction as a slur and I ended up with a down up bow.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Kenny Kenny.
    fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Really nice fiddlin’, Kenny. Thanks for posting. Fred

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Fred,

Thanks for your comment.  I played with a mute on because it sounds kind of scratchy yet.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Dave,

Looks like we have John’s blessing so if you can create any more videos on moving double stops I would love to listen to them.
    Kenny

Angela
    Participant

Kenny…that’s real impressive!!  You’re really doing great.  The intonation is good, especially to be a not so easy tune…and sliding up in 3rd position.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Kenny, I can do some others if you like.

If you come up with something in particular I did that you want let me know and I’m happy to share it.

In the meantime here is  a link to one I did for Gu (another student here) on a couple much heard licks. The second one has plenty of uses for moving form I to IV or from V to I, and it works for resolving into A, D, or G depending on what strings you use.

Rats…meant to put this in the other thread…sorry.

I bumped the ‘sharing licks’ thread for posts like these to keep things more organised.

Dave

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Kenny…very impressive!  Nice job!  I was wondering why it sounded kinda far away, but you answered my question by saying it was muted…lol.  I think your playing is really nice.  Glad the youtube idea worked for you…hope to see more before long!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Sounding great Kenny , I am still working on this one , I don’t have it perfected yet !

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Thanks Steve and Peggy.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Great thread — thanks for all the wonderful pointers you all are posting here! Dave, I remember that video — and it makes me miss Gu!

Kenny, you are doing very well. Like Dave said, your intonation is really good for your first foray into the 3rd position. And don’t worry too much about the bow directions and slurs — you may find a way of bowing that works better for you!

The next step is to use smooth, long bow strokes and work out any hesitation and shakiness.

You are sounding awesome! thank you for posting.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Angela.

Thanks for your comments . I just saw your post – didn’t mean to overlook your kind words.

Kenny

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Nice. Coming along nicely.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in