Learning new tunes and loving them!

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Learning new tunes and loving them!

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Edmo45 Edmo45 2 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

In the last three days I’ve learned the fiddle breaks in the key of G to “Midnight Ramble” and “Mastertone March” as played by Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys. I’ve also learned a tune played by Kenny Baker titled “Bobby Van’s Hornpipe” in B Flat and another tune titled “Carolina Mountain Rag” by Michael Feagan.

These are wonderful pieces to play and if any of my Bluegrass Daddy Family Members are interested, give them a try. They are a lot of fun to play.

I still don’t have a decent way to record my playing so I’m sorry that I can’t play them for y’all. I blew all my money on my new-to-me banjo so I haven’t bought any recording equipment down here in Tennessee. lol

My banjos I have here in TN are the 1st photo and my “Green Hornet” is on the bottom of the first picture. I uploaded the second photo by accident and can’t seem to delete it. duh!

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Hi Fiddleiferous 1950 😊

I have found just the YouTube for you and your banjo 😐  and fiddle.  One tune in particular is at ~22:00 on the timer called “Pigeon Rrost”.   I had a friend transcribe the full tune (which includes the banjo parts). and then I had the banjo part put into  fiddle note mode.  Here’s the YouTube.  Enjoy!  I will try to attach the “Pigeon Roost” notations.

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

I cannot get the sheet music pages to download.  I will ask Dr. John to attach them.  Meanwhile I will.check out the tune(s) that you mentioned.  – n

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Thank You very much, Nancy. I really enjoyed listening to the YouTube video you posted. I remember John Hartford playing at Godfrey Daniel’s Cafe in Bethlehem, PA. where my band (years ago) “Lonesome Road” performed.

If you’re unable to get the sheet music, it’s OK because I can figure out the breaks fairly easy by slowing them down one speed.

Thanks, again.

Angela
    Participant

Sounds like you’ve been busy!  :^)

I still have a long list on my “want to learn” sheet!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Fred, that’s awesome!

Here is the sheet music that Nancy wanted to link:

Pigeon Roost (1 page)

Pigeon Roost (parts)

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Thanks, Nancy and Thanks, John. I’ll have to learn to play it now that y’all went through so much work.

Yes, Angela, I keep busy learning “new” tunes as it really increases my rolodex of fiddle licks so that I have fresh ideas each time I jam Bluegrass. :^) Have a great day!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Cool, Fred.  That’s so exciting…glad you are having fun.  Learning new tunes is as wild as a trip to the moon would be, in my thinking. Thanks for the inspiration…I hope things will stop speeding up and start slowing down and I can get back to where I left off… ???? years ago now.  We need to get ourselves unobligated to a few things, if possible.  I think the last new thing I learned was Mockingbird, and I did a terrible job of that..lol.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Kudos to you Fred !

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

I finally got a chance to listen to “Carolina Mountain Rag”.Nice tune. I like it😊   I slso listened to Bobby Van’s Hornpipe.  They sure play that one fast 😳 I like that tune, too.

I found a band called “Lonesome Road” on a 2009 YouTube with a banjo player and guitarist.  and a young girl on the bass.  Great music!  🎵. Is that your band?

??? Do you play both banjo -&- the fiddle?

??? You mentioned learning fiddle breaks : you have banjo photos???

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Hi Nancy: I wasn’t able to find any videos of my band “Lonesome Road” on YouTube but I sure was surprised to learn how many bands called themselves by that title.

Yes, I play the banjo and the fiddle.

The banjo picture on the left was submitted to show where my hard-earned money went lately due to buying the banjo indicated (and not purchasing a recording system to record my fiddle playing allowing BGD members to hear my feeble attempts at playing various fiddle tunes). The other banjo photo was posted by accident and I was unable to delete it.

I’m happy to learn that you like the fiddle tunes I mentioned. Have a great day.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I played two of the tunes tonight at our Wednesday night Bluegrass jam session and they went over very well. I fiddled “Carolina Mountain Rag” and “Bobby Van’s Hornpipe”. The gang liked them both and quickly figured out breaks to them. Great new tunes and a lot of fun to fiddle. Alright!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Cool.  Sounds like a good time!

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Thanks, Cricket. It sure was a lot of fun. I like trying out different tunes with the various groups I pick with.

Tonight, I’ll be playing banjo as others will be fiddling. Tonight’s group is also a lot of fun to pick with. There are two fiddlers who do twin stuff together and sound real good. They always want me to play banjo with them, so I don’t get a chance to look for a third part on the fiddle 🙁  lol

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Video or it didn’t happen!!!  (Just kidding)

That’s awesome, Fred, sounds like you are having fun. 🙂

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I sure am, John. Someone last night took a video of me playing “Bobby Van’s Hornpipe” but I’ve never seen him before so I don’t know where he went or how to get a copy to post here. drat!!!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yeah…i’m kinda waitin’ for some videos too…lol.

Edmo45
    Edmo45
    Participant

The Lion’s Den could use another player, Fred… 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in