Legends of Old Time Music on DVD

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Legends of Old Time Music on DVD

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Frederick Frederick 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

DVD I just watched this morning. Thought it might be of interest…

During the folk music revival from the late 1950s to the 1970s, legendary old-time traditional artists were rediscovered, and previously unheard players of this tradition were found and brought to perform at folk festivals. It was an exciting period in the history of Old Time music which coupled “living legends” like Clarence Ashley and Tommy Jarrell with younger incarnations of the old-time spirit like the New Lost City Ramblers, Red Clay Ramblers, and more This DVD collection presents some of the finest old-time musicians playing in a variety of styles.

Titles include:
    ROSCOE HOLCOMB – Across the Rocky Mountain, Little Birdie, Graveyard Blues, Little Grey Mule, John Hardy
    CLARENCE ASHLEY – Free Little Bird, The Cuckoo
    SAM McGEE – Wheels, Mississippi Sawyer
    DOC WATSON, CLINT HOWARD & FRED PRICE – Way downtown, Daniel Prayed, Lee Highway Blues
    PETE STEELE – Pay Day at Coal Creek, Coal Creek March, Galilee
    SUMNER, YOUNG & HOLCOMB – Red Apple Rag, Bile Them Cabbage Down, Grey Eagle
    TOMMY JARRELL – John Henry, Drunken Hiccups, John Brown’s Dream
    CORBETT GRIGSBY – Pretty Polly
    JEAN RITCHIE – The Cuckoo
    THE WALKER FAMILY – Bowling Green, Hangman, Rollie True Love, I’ll Be Somewhere Listening
    JEAN and EDNA RITCHIE – My Pretty Little Miss, The Four Marys.

A 22 page comprehensive booklet featuring biographical material, rare photographs, and details on the tunes performed on this DVD are available for download here: http://www.guitarvideos.com/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=146852

Here’s one of the clips from the DVD

This is a wonderful DVD that enables us to see some of the heroes of old-time music in rare performances that few of us ever realized were preserved on film.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by MoonShadows MoonShadows.
    Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

That’s so cool. Clarence played an archtop Bowtie 250 Gibson banjo. I still have a flathead one, a 1959. They were the best sounding banjos on the planet for a long time. (imho) lol

Thanks for posting this.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

My pleasure Fred. There is another 4 CD set, also called Legends of Old Time Music: 50 Years of Country Records. It has 115 tracks, 30 of these tracks are previously unreleased. You can hear samples of the tracks on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/Legends-Old-Time-Music-County-Records/dp/B015S748UW

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That looks so cool…if I ever have spending money again in my life…lol…that’ll be right up there on my wish list!

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Definitely worth having.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks for the links, Jim.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.