Legends Of The Fall

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 week ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Bruce Stewart
    Participant

The Ludlows

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Legends of the fall aka the ludlow’s.  I learned it from BGD.  Here it is from John’s original site.

Part I

Part II

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

That is nice Nancy, do you have the sheet music for it?

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

One of my favorite versions of this tune.  I’ve learned to play the tune from the sheet music and this video, but I can’t even come close to these amazing young ladies.

https://youtu.be/mihCWhZPZgA

Joe

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Rodger:  I coded it from John’s Youtube lesson. I don’t have sheet music.

Icebike: Do you still have the sheet music? Can you post it?

John: can you add the sheet music to your site?

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I found this PDF sheet music.  But it says the composer is James Horner?

Also it’s an arrangement for an orchestra, so there’s places where the fiddle stops & something else plays.

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Yes!  I am pretty sure Horner is the composer.

I am sure John has the dots to his lesson and he will add it to his sheet music page.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

This is a beautiful tune its to bad John can’t bring all his old stuff forward to BGD

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

I have the sheet music as a .pdf, but not sure how to post that here.

Joe

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Steve:  I believe John has been moving his old site info to the BGD site.

Below is a page from his old site.

http://cockmanfamily.com/john/

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Nancy I think your right that’s what the site says , I have found songs and tunes John has done that’s not on either site his earlier days I guess one of them was a Ray Price song Heartaches by the number . Teaching on u-tube .

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

My last 7 or 8 years at work in the university library were boring, boring data entry. The one good friend I had made was the janitor, a gypsy from Hungary,  who had been in Auschwitz and lost her whole family there…was shipped over here as an orphan to be fostered while doing hard farm work, for the price of living over here.  I used to eat lunch with her and she taught me to knit during those times and shared a great friendship…but by this time she was in poor health and could no longer work and eventually passed away.  Anyway, I worked hard and just ate my lunch right there at my desk, by myself, except, my peanut butter jelly sandwiches were spent watching JohnsFiddleLessons…lol.  A bright spot in a long, boring day.  Now look…I feel like I know him…it’s amazing.  I didn’t own a fiddle, but I think he was planting the Fiddling bug seeds…when I decided it was time for me to retire, one of the preparations I made was to buy myself a fiddle, and a Presonus…I began playing the fiddle right away…soon after, this site came into existence!  I guess John has no idea how far back we go…lol.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

It makes me sad to know you had such boredom , I guess I was lucky I was into building peoples dream houses and I did everything from rock to block ,elect, plumbing, cabinetry and so on if they could dream it I could build it. Nothings impossible maybe not practical but not impossible , so I might advise against something they dreamed up but in the end if they really wanted it then its there money I would make it a reality , I was never bored and at the end of the day I could always look back at what I done and be happy with it . Even today I can drive by a house I built and remember the details . Hard and physical work it was , but not boring .

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

I posted the .pdf sheet music I have to Dropbox, but still can’t get it to show here.  If anyone has advice on how to post it, I’ll try again.

Joe

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sounds like a great career, Steve.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

You’re right Steve.  Not only is that satisfying work for yourself, but family & even people you’ll never know will appreciate your work for years to come.  I love to go to my Great Granddads log cabin near Junction, W. Va. & remember Dad’s stories of how they sat around the fireplace, & think about what their life was like there.  Then his son, my Grandad James built houses as a profession, and I can go look at a house he built and it’s quite an experience.  Every time someone comes into my place here, if they haven’t been here for awhile, stops and talks about our rustic stone fireplace, and their first question is always, did I build it myself…

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Joe, if you email it I’ll post it here.

john@bluegrassdaddy.com

I will look for it here but I think I learned it by ear…

Rodger, you have some beautiful rocks on that fireplace. It’s a special structure!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

& at least one of those rocks I picked up beside my Dad’s old log house in W. Va.  It saw all those old people & so many years of everyone’s life going on around it…

John Cockman
    Keymaster
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in