Lesson on Vibrato

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum Lesson on Vibrato

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Great ScottGreat Scott

Hi John!
    I was wondering if you could possibly do an extensive lesson on how to do vibrato —– and in particular, how YOU actually do it! I am almost blind from watching youtube tutorials on how to do vibrato! :)……. and everyone seems to have a different approach as to how THEY teach it and use it.

I really don’t care about the “wrist vs arm vs finger vibrato” battle that goes on between violinists! All I want is to learn how YOU execute vibrato! You appear to have a very easy, almost un-noticeable vibrato, which is soft and light, and yet still adds some nice emotion to the line / end note. Your style is SO different to that of all the people I have seen so far. Two thumbs up!!

So, here I am on my knees —- Edelweiss petals everywhere —— pleading with you to please, please, PLEASE! …. for the love of Austria! …. will you please teach me how to do …. vibrato? Danke!

Tschuss! 🙂

Your ever faithful Austrian fiddle student,

Scott

peggyspeggys
    Participant

Ditto~
    Ok…Honestly…I’m not on my knees but I do think it would be helpful!

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Haha nice hyperbole Scott… I will do that! I will call it “vibrato for old time fiddlers” and post the video here. For now, here is a spoiler: There is nothing like a perfectly executed vibrato to kill your farm cred. (This is the old-time version of “street cred.”) As a fiddler, you do NOT want to sound too trained. Sorry you violinists, but this means you have to do some “unlearning” in order to sound authentic as a fiddler. So get ready to slouch a bit, hit some off-pitch notes, and yes — slow down and tone down that vibrato! More to come…

fiddle joke

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.