Let's get Reel

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

I’m trying to compose a reel, but not sure how,or if I’m even going about it correctly.

I already know what you’re thinking. Just listen to reels. It’s not that simple.

I’m asking what makes a reel a reel?

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Hi John. Here’s a good explanation:

I’m sorry John. I read way down into the forum conversation and found nasty language and removed the link from here. I’ll try to find something G-rated. 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by FrederickFrederick.
    Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

4/4 time and straight rhythm would make a tune technically a reel, although there are other considerations. Just think Irish thoughts while playing in 4/4 I guess

cricketcricket
    Participant

That’s a good, practical suggestion…lol!  It really is.  St. Anne’s Reel is the only thing I’ve ever played that’s called a reel…probably the way I’ve played it might make it not really a reel…don’t know…I’ve wondered why it is a reel.  Fisher’s Hornpipe is the only thing I’ve ever played called a hornpipe…I get that I think…it’s kinda jumpy and you can’t ever stop bowing out little choppy things…but the reel…I don’t know.

JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

When I listen to reels it usually ends on a certain way it is phrased, but not always.

St. Anne’s Reel ends with a certain way too. Funn thing about this tune it sounds like a fast Waltz

I only know how to play a few reels myself. Salty River Reel for example and St. Anne’s Reel.

I’m just trying to understand what makes a reel and then I can understand more on how to compose one.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by JBoundsJBounds.
    FrederickFrederick
    Participant

John, when I compose a “reel” I normally start with 2/4 time (two quarter notes or their equivalents per measure). I begin with a four measure “question” called a “thesis” and then provide a four measure “answer” called an “anti-thesis”. This first part is typically considered “Part A”. A Reel can have more than 1 part; usually 2 (and sometimes 3 or 4).

When I compose Part B, I use the same structure with a different but complimentary question and answer. Generally speaking, when you’ve finished, you’ll have a sixteen measure tune.

JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

Thank you, Fred. I’ll work on it.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Good luck with it, John.  Hope we can hear a new reel soon!

I was thinking about all this earlier this morning and realized that what I’d said about hornpipes…that applies to what I’ve heard these days online (don’t know anybody in person…lol) fiddlers play Soldier’s Joy…really notey and hornpipey…but we used to sing it…as, “Love Somebody,” (I think I recoreded it an put it up on youtube several years ago but I’m too lazy to hunt…can’t ever find them in all the youtube mess after a little while) and fiddlers I’ve heard before played it that way too…more like with few notes, singable notes, and just regular shuffles…N. shuffles or taters shuffles.  So…wondering if it was once a hornpipe and people morphed it more songlike at some point or other…neither here nor there, just me thinking aloud, which usually turns out to be a bad idea…lol.  It just gets me thinking sometimes…and there ain’t nobody else to speak my miserable little infinitesimal thoughts to…lol.

Anyway, I do hope you come up with a great reel…and real reel soon!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by cricketcricket.
    JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

Thanks, Cricket. As for Hornpipes I’m not real good with those. I think I learned Durang’s Hornpipe once and then forgot it lol

It’s about to get reel…soon.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

John, I just put a reel up on Fred’s Fiddle Forum 5. It’s called “Reel de Sherbrooke”. Part A repeats. Part B changes key and does not repeat. Just thought I’d include this one for you to study since it’s very Canadian. 🙂

JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

I appreciate Fred.  I’ve got a melody now and working it out.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.