Life is good

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    peggyspeggys
    Participant

I can’t believe how many of our vacations over the past 6 years have had a musical focus…mostly fiddle music. I’ve gone to Don Messer’s homestead in New Brunswick, seen “The Purple Fiddle” in Thomas, WV, had several meals on the “Red Shoe Pub” in Cape Breton with live music, seen Natalie McMaster in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario, attended one the Country Showcase in New Brunswick to listen to one of my favorite fiddlers Allison Inch (and managed a private jam and tour of the town) and followed another favorite, Scott Woods to many places including Dartmouth Nova Scotia, played for former Don Messer performer/co-writer Roddy Dorman (highlight) AND attempted to play the largest fiddle I’ve ever seen at Sydney Nova Scotia!
    I’m wondering what else is out there that I’m missing?

Life is good….play on!

Attachments:
    John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hi Peggy, I hope that you don’t mind that I tagged your post with a few links. Let me know if they are not correct!

You have been some awesome places! Kudos for the jam and town tour at the Country Showcase! If I were in Canada I would probably try to catch a Leahy concert or even attend their summer music camp.

Here in my neck of the woods, some cools stops along a musical pilgrimage would include Dollywood, the happiest place on earth, and of course the Ryman Auditorium and Bluebird Cafe in Nashville, TN.

Some more obscure local stops would include the Carter Fold, the old Fiddlers Conventions in Galax, VA and Fiddlers Grove, and even the upcoming Smoky Mountain Folk Festival at Lake Junaluska.

Here is a cool website that lists some of the best local venues around these parts:

http://www.blueridgemusic.org/

If you ever head this way on a musical field trip, be sure to stop into my summer music camp!

peggyspeggys
    Participant

I wish I’d had that link for our trip to Charleston in 2012! We traveled the Blue Ridge Parkway our way south and had a stay in Mt. Airy on the way home. It was after a short stay in Weston that we found “The Purple Fiddle”.
    During our stop at Don Messer’s home, I had to take a moment to play his theme song “Smile the While”…
    Looks like you didn’t miss a thing on the links John! And I WILL plan a stop at your summer camp…I’m sure the kids would teach me a thing or two! How wonderful it would have been to pick it up at a younger age.

Attachments:
    John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

That is a great photo! By the way, I have a friend with a big purple upright bass that she calls “Barney.” Maybe he is a prehistoric ancestor of Mr. Fiddlesticks?

peggyspeggys
    Participant

I’ll check the genealogy on that one John! LOL

Great ScottGreat Scott

Hey Peggy! WOW! Just imagine how many pony tails it would take to hair THAT bow! Yes, life sure IS good! …. And you certainly get around to all the right places! However, it sounds like you will have to head back down south to North Carolina and Tennessee and enjoy even more from the links that John has enclosed! Why, oh why do I live at the end of the world? I am missing out on SO much!

Peggy, I left you a video link in my thread “Thoughts On Vibrato” to let you hear another piece of beautiful heart tugging violin music. I love this piece of music! Hope you enjoy it too!

Keep posting! I love hearing about your music adventures! 🙂

Scott

peggyspeggys
    Participant

I checked out the video Scott…she couldn’t have been playing such a short time! If only I could manage that kind of emotion…in my fiddle of course!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.