Little Bitty

This topic contains 20 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Frederick Frederick 3 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Bird Dog Brice
    Participant

I don’t suppose anyone knows where to find tabs for Alan Jackson’s Little Bitty?  Love that song :)

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Sorry, couldn’t find any tabs to this Tom T. Hall song.

piano chart is available as well as a video of a guy speaking another language (spanish I think) teaching it.

It’s not super difficult if you wanted to try slowing down a video/recording and figuring it out yourself…mostly double stops in key of E

Bird Dog Brice
    Participant

I’ve only been playing for about a month – I’m not even sure what the key of E is, much less how to pick the tabs for the double stops!  Haha

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

OK, here is a link where you can

Request a Lesson

from John if you’d like to.

There is a fairly big waiting list, but you can pay for a lesson to be brought to the front of the line if you wish. He also offers different levels of lessons, but I can’t find a link to where it is all explained right now.

Maybe Steve will chime in here, as he has used that option fairly often…

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

In the meantime, I’d suggest going through the lesson videos on bowing.

You will need the shuffle John teaches to play Itty Bitty. 8-)

You’ll also need to know the E Major scale…here is a short video of the scale played on fiddle, that you can try to learn it from. If it goes too fast, you can slow the speed by clicking the little gear at the bottom right of the video and pick a slower speed from the menu.

Bird Dog Brice
    Participant

Thanks!

Angela
    Participant

I’ve always liked that song and the fiddle work in it. I hadn’t tried to play it. But I just listened.  I agree with Dave. It’s not super hard but it will take some coordinating with your fingers. I would suggest practicing the shuffle bowing Dave linked to and practice it while barring an E double stop. That means putting your first finger down on the d and a string and playing both of those at the same time. If you have it in tune you’ll start to hear part of the little bitty kickoff and break.  Then practice the B bar chord by putting your first finger down on the a string and e string at the same time. You’ll start to hear part of the second half of the break.

Good luck! Let us know how it’s going.

Angela
    Participant

Here’s a video to maybe help get your feet wet. If it’s not helpful you can just disregard. ?

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Good advice and nice video Angela!

Bird Dog Brice
    Participant

I think I may have figured it out :)  Double stop on open D and A strings, to double stop on 2D and open A, to double stop on 1D and open A :)  I’d post a vid if I can figure out how.  I haven’t posted any vids yet.

Bird Dog Brice
    Participant

Maybe this will work:

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

You’re getting close!

Angela
    Participant

Man!  BNaylor you are getting a great tone out of your fiddle!!  If you keep up with that tone, you’re gonna be knocking people’s socks off.

Bird Dog Brice
    Participant

Thanks Angela ?

Angela
    Participant

Oh….also, when I was mentioning practice on open D and A that was only to practice the bowing.  You have to close those off for the tune if you play it in E like the AJ recording.

Bird Dog Brice
    Participant

Sounds good

Angela
    Participant

Come to think of it….it would be pretty easy to play in D and to play what the AJ fiddle player is playing….but in D.  That way, you can use the open notes and not have to bar.

Angela
    Participant

Here’s a close sound taking it down to D

Angela
    Participant

Dave… you had a good version of the shuffle for a couple secs.  Where did it go??

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I don’t know the tune at all, but interesting conversation and videos, guys! You-uns are so good at video…nice way to talk fiddling!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Cool vids..???

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.