Long hot summer days

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by John (BGD) John (BGD) 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Reed Hampton
    Participant

I would love to learn the John Hartford tune long hot summers day! Loads of good covers out there of this one too.  Thanks

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Here is the video. Do you have a favorite cover?

Reed Hampton
    Participant

My favorite would probably be the Turnpike Troubadours.

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

It’s a great version!

Reed Hampton
    Participant

Now if I could only get myself to learn by ear…

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

No problem! I have uploaded the sheet music and midi file to our sheet music page. I transcribed the Turnpike Troubadours intro. In the sheet music, The first pass is single-note only to practice the melody, then the second pass is with the double notes.

https://bluegrassdaddy.com/tablature-and-sheet-music/

Reed Hampton
    Participant

Awesome! Thank you!

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

You’re welcome! This is a fun tune to play solo like John Hartford. I’m going to try to give a lesson on it before too long.

DanyaW10
    Participant

Hello! Do you still have plans to upload a tutorial on this? I bought a fiddle last week and just signed up to Bluegrass Daddy today! Thank you for all of your help so far just from YouTube :) I’m currently trying to hack out this song using the tabs but a play-through from you that I could watch would be SO helpful.  My fiddle sounds like it’s dying.

Thanks!

Danya

goettjp
    goettjp
    Participant

I’m from Peoria, IL where John Hartford spent summers piloting the Julia Belle Swain paddleboat.   But I first heard this song as performed by the Turnpike Troubadours…. I always wondered how a band from Oklahoma could sing about all the little river towns in Illinois.

Mystery solved!

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Danya, any luck with this one? I do plan to do a lesson on it!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.