Looking at that "intermediate" lesson list

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum Looking at that "intermediate" lesson list

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lovetick
    lovetick
    Participant

Hi all. I’m 4 or so months in on my Fiddle and starting to get some of basics down .I do practice quite a bit and its starting to show..in most beginning songs.When did you all start to work on some of the more involved intermediate tunes. I am kinda chompin at the bit to work on some of these.I have tested the waters and found them very difficult ,for me,but have not really spent practice time to work one out .. You folks recommend sticking with the more beginner stuff ,, Or jump in to the harder list..Maybe go back and forth…

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

My input would be that the learning curve to playing a fiddle is like building a house.  You must realize it is a process that’s going to be a process of construction.  After you decide what it is you want to build and get the plans developed, you make the foundation, do the framing, wiring, plumbing, put the roof on, install the doors & windows…(myriads of details left out here for sake of brevity).  To accomplish all this there has to be a resolve to invest your time and pay the price involved.  You don’t expect to put the roof on before you build the foundation, and also, any lack of quality in each step will result in some problems later on.

I realize I’m not addressing your specific question as to how long it takes to play intermediate tunes.  But it’s impossible to answer that without a lot of data on the specifics of your learning regime (instructor?), your time spent at it, and your gifted abilities.  I’m just commenting on the process of getting there realistically, because without this understanding how important it is to understand the process & it’s difficulties, one can easily get discouraged and drop out.  But if you understand that and have the motivation, anyone can get there if they have the discipline.  I can say, Go for it, because it’s worth it.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Rodger has a good point.  Ultimately, it depends on the person.  Some people do better when they have enormous challenges.  I guess we all gotta figure out what works for us…if you can tackle a tough challenge without burning out…go for it.  If you try and start to lose interest or feel exhausted…go back to easy and stick with super easy for a while.  I think with fiddling, we are all on our own path…you’ll find yours.  Best wishes for a great fiddling journey!

Bruce
    Participant

Rodger makes good points.  I would add a couple of things.  It took me a couple of years of fiddling to get to the point I could start learning to be a fiddler.  In other words, the foundation must be there before you really start building.  That said, many of the tunes on the intermediate list are waltzes.  Find a few you love and start  learning them.  Maybe you can’t play all the double stops so just play single notes.   Ashokan Farewell and Faded Love are the two songs that got me interested in fiddling.

lovetick
    lovetick
    Participant

Thanks for the replies . True I guess every  one is different when it comes to learning something new . I  have a music background playing banjo and do find the fiddle challenging, mostly the playing in tune part no frets and all .I am finding that playing along with drones in the key of a particular song helps a bunch to keep in tune…I like to be challenged and am still having a bunch of fun with my fiddle.I like the idea of going back to easy if I get frustrated with a hard tune..  I figure even if I cant play a difficult song now I can glean a lick or two as I give it a try …And hopefully sooner or later figure it out..Thanks again ,Steve

Joe
    Participant

Several of the beginner tunes also have the same tune listed in intermediate. Try a beginner tune you can already play and then just move over to the intermediate version. It will have same basic sound just a few more notes thrown in.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hi Steve, and welcome! There are a range of tunes that have the intermediate label. I recommend starting with Old Joe Clark or Fire on the Mountain since they teach the Nashville Shuffle which helps you increase your speed. Boil Them Cabbage is another good one for bridging the gap between intermediate and beginner. John

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in