Maiden's Prayer…whoopie!

This topic contains 27 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 2 months ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hey guys…hurray for me!  Back when I first joined this site, it was all because I saw John play Maiden’s Prayer on youtube.  I joined up, worked and worked…learned that thing…all of it…way beyond my experience and abilities, but i could play it roughly.  Played it at the local BG jam and the jaws dropped…I mean, it wasn’t perfect, but i could limp through decently.  Then I went on to bigger and more wonderful fiddling…Gardenia Waltz, Faded Love, Golden Fiddle Waltz…buncha other stuff on here.

Fast Forward…today I have forgotten them all because of the Presonus thing that happens to me…lol.  But on this day…I had time…went down to the computer, and did I do Presonus? No!  I decided to run through everything I ever learned on these lessons and don’t forget them this time.  Well I started out, again, with Maiden’s Prayer…I got through the beginner and the intermediate, and the first part of the advanced…whew…I was thinking to myself…i can’t believe i could ever play this thing….!!!!!  And I can’t believe I let it slip outta my life!!!!  Well, I’m tellin’ ya…it’s hard!  The lesson is excellent.  My hand hurts now…lol…those double stops…learning them slow like you have to do…it’ll kill ya.  But now all I have to do is play the beginner, intermediate, and 1st of three advanced parts long enough to get them halfway in tune and remember them…then onto the last two advanced parts if i still have fingers left by that point.  Then…on to Gardenia Waltz.  I’m taking the whole summer off from Presonus…gonna re-learn all that hard stuff i had spent so much time on back when this site first opened up.  The lessons are great…no excuse to not learn that stuff.  Need a coffee break now though because my hand is killin me…lol…all that Bobby Hicks twistin up and such…but it’s so beautiful.  I did it before…I can and will do it again!

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by cricket cricket.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I just saw on the comments after the Maiden’s Prayer lesson video…it’s only been five years ago I learned this thing.  I feel like it’s impossible now…lol.  Oh gee whiz…it’s hard.  Well…I’m firing down that presonus until after Labor Day.  Gonna spend any time I can learning.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I go through this with one tune or another constantly…I guess it’s good we know enough to forget a tune or two? …kidding…I have a “to learn” and a running “relearn” list now…I feel like I’m always behind…strange way to feel for someone who has no place  to be musically speaking and no one to pick with….haha.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I am always relearning something !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well thanks guys…good to know I’m not the only one.  It just makes me kinda kick myself letting some of these good tunes get away from me like that.  I’m taking the whole summer off from recording or messin’ with youtube, etc., just gonna focus on re-learning, if possible (I feel like it’s unbelievable I ever played Maiden’s Prayer…lol…seriously, my fingers are really twisted up sore like)…I’m gonna try to re-learn this stuff and then just see where I am with it all by Labor Day…when the garden starts to wind down and I start getting my hydroponics situated and stuff…see where I feel like going from there.  Dave…I have no music plans, no people to play with or for, nothing…yet…yes, i also feel so behind on it all…lol.  That is pretty weird…that’s the way it is, though, so I’m gonna try to work hard and see if I can get back the tunes I worked so hard for five years ago!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Went to the local charity show last night…raising funds to go to the exact play where we used to live in the mountians to do “charity work,” not sure what they’ll do down there, but we gave a little…lol…too broke to give much.  Anyway…this is the show that I played some last year…I played Windy and Warm on guitar, Dinah on fiddle, and I sang The Banks of the Ohio…well…they didn’t invite me back this year…lol…oh well, could it be because I cut my own hair?…that’s the story I always get…thanks, but no thanks…that’s ok because I’ve gotten to be such a hermit I’m getting pretty uncomfortable in crowds and such, but we went to the show and watched Annie and Roro do their sword fight.

Then we came home, I got out my special peanut butter fudge, a Perrier, and got back to work on that 1st advanced break on Maiden’s Prayer…I still just can’t play it with the jam track…fumbles and so out of pitch…lol.  One question…maybe, if I’m just not advanced…maybe should I stick with being happy with the intermediate break, move on and wait for another few years’ playing experience to get back to those advanced breaks?????  Or can you force a thing like this?????  I’m not sure if the smartest thing is to work like the devil and force yourself to play beyond your experience level, or do what comes easier and then just keep moving on, getting back to more difficult stuff after youve got more playing time behind you.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by cricket cricket.
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Many times I will end up taking passages from several breaks and building one of my own. I may play most of an advanced break, but substitute a couple statements I’m just not getting with something I can play better to get a break up to speed when I run out of patience.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well, it seems to definitely work for you, from all I’ve heard!  Thanks for that tip from a pro, Dave!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

yeah…that would stand for “professional student”…haha

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I guess that’s a good description most of us live with…lol.  Going over this Maiden’s Prayer lesson again, I’m reminded of what I was amazed with back when I first joined BGD: the work that has to go into these lessons here…my gosh, the Maiden’s Prayer lesson looks like it was a tough, tough job, to slowly go through all of that stuff.  John is a hard worker, for sure.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Have I mentioned how hard and beyond my abilities Maiden’s Prayer is…lol?  But…well I’m stubborn enough to work at it anyway…I’ve actually been surprised at the 15 minutes here and there I’ve had to work at it…whew.  Will I ever be able to play it?  LOL…gosh not like John does…I keep watching him playing it, thinking…doggone how do you DO that??????  But hopefully it’ll gradually come along if I keep working!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

True…my fingers are saying they’ve already been 999 miles…so…hoping to get through that last mile soon!  lol…one of these days I hope to play it.  I can’t believe I could play it kinda…not perfect, but enough to get the idea across, five years ago…I mean, what planet did I dwell on then?  I seem to be back on Earth now…I’m gonna get it one of these days.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

The way Bobby plays it with all the little nuances from descending chords and passing tones is flat out wonderful. His variation up the neck on the descending V Chord really grabs my attention. It’s funny in a way….the many times I’ve picked with Bobby and played “Maiden’s Prayer” with him (me on the banjo mostly, but sometimes on the bass or even a couple of times playing my fiddle), I never thought to ask him to show me the little chords he does. I know he would have been very happy to show me, too. He’s a really nice guy. Now that I’m in Arkansas, I probably won’t get to see him for a long while. :(

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Fred…John’s lesson has the basic things Bobby had done on Maiden’s Prayer, as far as i can tell.  I’ve seen youtubes where Bobby does vary it some, but the basic structure to work from can be seen in the advanced videos on the lesson.  I can’t imagine how cool it would be to be standing there next to Bobby Hicks playing Maiden’s Prayer…he made that thing into a really, really beautiful fiddle piece.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

well, I got some practice time again this morning…it’s slowly coming together…almost.  I think I might be able to handle it if I keep working…although it ain’t gonna sound like John or Bobby either one…lol.

Have you see him play it like this, Fred?  Really, he probably only changes one finger…one note, to get the “off” chords, as they are known in many circles…the structure of that is pretty much what the lesson here teaches…but yeah…you’d have to figure up the chords and change a finger here and there to get that chord feeling.  Probably really tough without somebody playing the backup chords, I’d guess.  I’m figurin’ anybody who plays like Bobby Hicks gets bored quickly and starts playing around with it all the time.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Yes, many times I’ve been with him when he’s played this tune. I did 15 sets with him in New York State one time years ago and he (we) played that tune a lot. It’s one of his most requested along with Estrolita and Gardenia. Oh, also he likes playing Katy Hill a lot and his wonderful versions of Faded Love and Cheyenne.

You’re correct when you mention moving fingers around to accommodate the passing chords. It can be kind of tight quarters as you descend eventually stretching out to the G# and B double stop (John has this G# listed as Ab in the written music, but theoretically speaking, it’s a G# :)) (There’s no A Flat in an E Chord: E G# B) This is strictly theory talk as in real world listening, the notes are enharmonically the same.

Many of Bobby’s friends in Texas and Oklahoma play Maiden’s Prayer in nearly the same voicings. It’s a “swingy” way of creating and introducing  interesting counter melodies to the well-established melody line.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I didn’t realize John had written music on this one.  It doesn’t help me anyhow…lol…I’m like…yeah move them dots outta my way so I can play!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket the lesson only has tablature for beginner and intermediate ! John teaches advanced at the bottom but no tablature for the three advanced lessons !

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Here’s the notation and tablature for an advanced version, Steve:

https://bluegrassdaddy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/maidens_prayer_notes.pdf

On page three you’ll notice that the double stops are made interesting by holding the D note on the A string while (on the D string) playing the E F F# and G# consecutively against that D note.

For another example of these similarly beautiful double stops listen to IIIrd Time Out’s recording of “Makes Me Wonder if I Ever Said Goodbye”.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

This is Bobby Hicks pretty much doing as the lesson teaches:

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I practiced some on and off today and Ithink it’s all somewhat reliable…I mean, the double stop slides are sort of up for grabs, but that last little couple of licks of the last part I’m still just unclear about…I always make a big mess when I get to that part of it.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well it’s chicken-frying time at this point…but I’m still thinking about Maiden’s Prayer…and it seems the last two or three licks of the thing are holding me back, and I just can’t get them…can’t understand how they fit in…so, I’m thinking, as I fry up my chicken…thinking about just making up the last couple of licks just so I can play the thing and not be held up by one tiny fragment I just can’t seem to get.  Just gonna try to make something up next chance I get to play.  Then I might have the whole thing…sorta.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Fred , John already has what your showing on the lesson but you or John do not have the Tablature for the last three advanced breaks !

Cricket , The tablature on BGD is only beginner and intermediate , If your having a lot of trouble with this tablature then You probable do not want to see the advanced Tablature ! HA

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’m working from the lesson videos…I don’t really use tablature and I don’t use music notation…just the videos where he shows the lessons. I’ve always leaened mainly by ear, so just somebody showing me something is easier for me than trying to plow through tabs.  I’m doing all the parts…the very last of the advanced lessons is giving me fits right at the end…like the very ending of the last advanced lesson…I just can’t fit it into the song…it just doesn’t fit, at least the way I’m understanding it.  I think Bobby and John are magicians or something…lol…I just can’t get it.  If you watch the video where John plays and sings it, the notes i’m having trouble with are between 5:01-5:05, after he sings the second verse and just as the whole thing is winding down to the very end.  If it weren’t for that 4 seconds, I’d have it playable…not perfect and maybe not good, but playable, doable.  I just can’t get that little segment of it…I can’t understand how it works or how it fits.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Probably won’t have much time with practicing for several days in a row…hope I don’t forget what I’ve learned…lol.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket John does show and tell measure by measure on the three advanced breaks lesson just no tablature , so you should be ok !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yeah, I really don’t need the tab…I just like being shown step by step.  I’m putting up a practice video in a minute here.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.