Malissa's Waltz for J.B.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Elizabeth Perilloux
    Participant

I recently heard Malissa’s Waltz for J.B., written by Bill Monroe in honor of his mother and dad.  Have looked all over the web for either lead sheet or sheet music without success.  I finally found a Bill Monroe CD on which he and his band play it but it is primarily mandolin.  This is really a beautiful waltz for the violin and I would love to learn to play it.  My thought it – it is probably under copyright and is unavailable but thought I would just ask!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hi Elizabeth, that’s a great tune. I have added it to our sheet music page.

nagumaq
    nagumaq
    Participant

Now that’s the Mandolin ! Y’a du violon la dedans Aussi !

Thanks for the suggestion Elisabeth , and thanks John for the link excellent 20 Minutes more rich while I’m carving here , Yahoo ! So inspiring , is that Kenny on fiddle ? Love that guy so much !

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Yes, that was Kenny Baker. It’s such a strange time. I would like to have tabbed this in 9/8 time because of the way it swings, but then the cool four-note intro would not line up. So, I ended up putting it in 6/8 time and sacrificed some of the swing. I thought Kenny did a great job of working it into the rhythm, but I think Bill’s four-note mandolin intros seem very rushed.

Elizabeth Perilloux
    Participant

Thank you so much for this music!  I had never heard the melody until a few weeks ago, and it just captured my heart.  Sure would love to come to your neighborhood and meet you one day.  I have so enjoyed “lurking” in the background for the couple of years I have been a member.  It is a really great site and you are doing a good job using the talent God has given you.  Thanks again.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

You are welcome! Stop by anytime. 🙂

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I like this version of  Malissa’s Waltz for J.B.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Awesome version. I’m a fan of BCB.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in