McClanahan's march

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums The Lion’s Den McClanahan's march

This topic contains 39 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Kaeleigh
    Participant

I just learned this (very catchy) wonderfully old-timey tune.

How can I improve it?

Joe
    Participant

Nice Kaeleigh. Sounds good like it is. Throw a little back up music in there and you have it.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow…you’re are pplaying it so good!  Is that Scottish?  It sounds so close to one I just posted a few days back, called Old Mother Flannagan…wondering if one derived from the other.  Anyway, it sounds like you’ve played it for a long while…sure doesn’t sound like you just learned it.  Very nice job!  Nice tune!

Kaeleigh
    Participant

Thank you! I don’t know if it’s Scottish. McClanahan sounds Scottish, I suppose. I hope it is 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

You’re playing a buncha nice tunes, wherever they come from…very good stuff!

Angela
    Participant

Oh my goodness, Kaeleigh….you are getting SO GOOD!  That was amazing.  It was clear, crisp, in tune, in time….woohoo!!

AND…it sounded like a bugle call.  I don’t know if that’s what it’s supposed to be, but it sort of sounded like it a little.

Thanks for posting your tunes.  I am so inspired by your progress.  :^)

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

Very nice work!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

It does sound like a bugle melody! Your bowstrokes are getting so much more confident. The droning was beautiful in the last B part. Great job!

Intonation is good — you could work on really getting E3 in tune on first strike, without needing to make any slides or adjustments.

Thank you for posting! It is a beautiful tune and you played it well.

Kaeleigh
    Participant

Thank you Mr. Cockman! I’ll work on the intonation.

Are there any civil war songs that you can think of that would go nicely with this one?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Is Listen to the Mockingbird a Civil War era song?   Do you need songs from the battlefield or from that era?  Are you playing for a Civil War event?  Am I asking too many questions?🤔

ljrock
    ljrock
    Participant

John,

Adding this to BIAB. Can you tell me, is this tune in “cut time”? Thanks, Larry

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by ljrock ljrock.
    ljrock
    ljrock
    Participant

Great tune and confidence is definitely coming through.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Very nice as always, Kaeleigh!

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

Kathleen mavourneen is a beautiful song from the CW era that I’ve wanted to learn on the violin but lack expertise at this point.  Bet you’d do a splendid job of it!

Angela
    Participant

How about Great High Mountain

Kaeleigh
    Participant

Thank you for the suggestions! I’d never even heard some of those!

I’m going to play for a civil war reenactment in May and I’d like to have a bunch of tunes to just know.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

You certainly could use Ashokan Farewell, as only a fiddler would really know it wasn’t written for more than a hundred years later.  Even at that it’s still identified with the war because of the documentary, and it would probably be the most recognized tune you play.

Angela
    Participant

Good point Roger.

Kaleigh, you probably know this but Soldiers Joy is a CW song.

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

“Battle Cry of Freedom” is a good Civil War tune.  It can be played either as a dirge or a lively march.

Kaeleigh
    Participant

Great ideas! I’ve thought of throwing in ‘little rose is gone’? but I don’t know if it sounds right.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Here is a link to a fiddle hangout discussion listing many CW tunes.

civil war tunes

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Great link, Dave.

ljrock, this is song is in 4/4 with no cut measure.

Kaeleigh have you been able to speed this song up a little bit? I think it would make a great reel.

nagumaq
    nagumaq
    Participant

Great ! You and your fiddle sound so very authentic stylish right ON the button , how to play that better ? I think it was perfect !

Kaeleigh
    Participant

Thanks everyone! Yes, Mr. Cockman, I have sped it up quite a bit and I love the sound- I’m going to play it for my reenactment next month. Does anyone know the history of this tune? I couldn’t find it.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Well, it’s not really a march. You can find this tune under “Callahan’s Reel” or “The Last of Callahan” or simply “Callahan.” It’s a widespread old-time tune, and is usually attached to the legend of the “hanged fiddler.” This legend goes that a condemned fiddler (this time a Kentucky fiddler named Callahan) asks to play one last tune while either standing in his coffin or while sitting on a horse with a noose around his neck. If anyone can match him, he will give them his fiddle as a farewell gift. He plays this tune. When no one steps forward, he smashes the fiddle over the back of his coffin, or else on the back of the horse (bad idea).

Kaeleigh
    Participant

Thank you for the (somewhat gruesome) history lesson Mr. Cockman!

I tried to speed it up here a little bit- does it sound any better?

Also, I’m trying to play without backing tracks or anything, because I’ll be playing alone for this performance.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sounds great!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Great job,  Kaeleigh!

Kaeleigh
    Participant

Thank you! I realized belatedly that I had the date wrong for my Civil war performance, and it’s actually next Wednesday 🙂

I thought I had two more weeks!

Joe
    Participant

Nice kaeleigh. Your doing great.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

This is wonderful! I love the way you sped up on the second go-round. Your double stops sound great. You couldn’t have done that a year ago! The bowing was strong and confident with minimum bounces, drags and squeaks. I am very proud of this tune! I would say that you sound very much like an authentic 1860s fiddler. Well done!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Kaeleigh,  You have quit a list of songs.  Good going,  keep it up!

Kaeleigh
    Participant

Thank you Mr. Cockman!!! I’m trying,  but I came very near panicking when I realized that I only had five days instead of twenty!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

The panic is part of the fun…some people get it because they are flying up to the space station…we get it because we get to play music for others…lol…cheaper, at least.  I’m sure you’ll do a great job!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Kaeleigh,  after you get started your thoughts will be on your music.  I think you will do great too.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Coming up Wednesday! You’ll do great.

It seems like someone else here had something coming up on Wednesday, but I can’t remember what it was.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Hi Kaeleigh, I am looking forward to hearing you play this tune.  I forgot to bring a set of ear buds with me, and I only have access to a very well used set of headphones that come with the public computer.  No thank you!!!!!  I won’t use  earphones that every other Tom, Dick and Harry… and Sue Ellen have been using. (Yes, Sue Ellen likes to listen to opera music.  She even tries to sing like Maria Callas!!!!!!   Not good when I am trying to get some sleep! 🙂   )

I was just thinking:  maybe I could scrape all the ear wax out of the public headphones and make some nice candles to give away for Christmas presents.  Either way, I will try to remember to bring my ear buds next time I am on the computer.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Great Scott, when that happens to me I usually just break a magnet off the back of one of the blackboard letters in the kids section, then disconnect the wall transformer from the aquarium or electric pencil sharpener. I then remove the winding from the transformer and wrap it about twenty times around the mangnet. Next ground one end of the winding to the computer case then stick the other end into the headphone jack of the computer. Finally, tape a paper cone onto the coil and magnet and — voila! Stick the whole thing into your ear and enjoy the sweet sounds of The Last of Callahan. 🙂

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Thank you for your very encouraging work-around, John.  I am afraid they may hold me liable if anything were to happen to their aging core 2 Celeron computer.  Next time… NEXT time… I will try to remember to bring my own earphones.

P.S.  Surely you mean… Viola!!!!  I had a garden full of them a few years ago after I was left stranded here.  O so pretty and very nice to eat.  Full of anti-oxidants!  Now I am feeling hungry.   🙁  I might have to raid someone’s flower garden after I leave here.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I did mean viola, thank you! The season will soon be right here for eating a salad of violets, day lilies, and sour grass. I can’t wait!

PS~ You may want to eat your half of the salad first… Llamas tend to do a lot of drooling!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in