Music that is over played or not played !

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Music that is over played or not played !

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Just curious as to other peoples input on music ???                                              How  do you guys feel about the following music playing ???                                  So what’s your past music nightmare ???

I noticed 30/40 years ago that a lot of the local bands , the lead players were playing random runs and some of them would be showing off how far out there they could get , just running wild and crazy , trying to out do each other . I was to young and not impressed with them back then , As they were not really playing the real melody of the tunes , but making it work , I still don’t wont to go there for myself , But I can see there’s talent getting through a tune and being from the first fret to the 14th fret and everywhere in between and never playing the real melody , But to me its over played and they have ruined the song !

Doe’s anyone know what this kind of playing is called ???

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I believe most people (in bluegrass at least) frown on that style of soloing, and would call it tasteless random riffing.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Gunnar calls it tasteless random riffing !  Now that’s a good one ! Ha

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I calls it finger wiggling…it has it’s place.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I call it industrial music…I’ve always thought most music was for the money only.  Sorry, that’s very opinionated.  This is why I’ve never followed many professional musicians and don’t know much popular songs or stuff.  Honestly, I like hearing amateur ordinary folks play or sing better than the slick fancy ones who play for money.  Ordinay people put their hearts and souls into it, and play because they love the music so much they would do it for free, or take money if offered…but the money isn’t the driving force.  The pros probably started out that way too, but somewhere along the line it turns into industry rather than art…that’s a strong opinion and of course it could just be my wrong thinking and not true at all.  I’d rather listen to the lonely porch fiddler than some slick outfit that shows up in a custom built travelling bus…lol.  But of course, as I said, I’m open to my being entirely wrong on that.  I respect their abilities too…way beyond where I’ll ever be.  But…it just doesn’t appeal to me…and it seems industry driven in my mind. I’m not repeating myself am I?  Like, how many times have I said “industry?”  Probably ’nuff times to stop here.  I’m not cutting anybody down, just sayin’, seems to me.

When I was visiting Dwight Diller in WV, he was remembering back when he would set the needle down on the record and be able to tell in a couple of seconds who was playing…unique music…he was saying now he can’t tell one from the other…all competing with their slick styles and over-used licks, etc.  But he’s even more opinionated than I am…lol…so…yeah, anyway, seems to me the financial element ruins anything we can do.  I guess in a way if you dread your job, you’re lucky…not ruining anything with your income….lol.  Well that’s one way to look at it.  I could be wrong, guys, and of course there’s always millions of exceptions.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by cricket cricket.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket , I have often though that modern suave music which mostly , sounds a like , is the schools of music college taught stuff , where as all the old famous people like Johnny Cash , Merle Haggard  , Willie nelson , Ernest Tubbs , Patsy Cline , and hundreds more , had individualisum  there voices and there bands all stood out from the crowd , The one’s your talking about Cricket , all pretty much sound alike , I call them sugar cookie cutter musicians , Give those sugar cookies different names  , But there only , still just , plain ole sugar cookies ! Nothing their doing separates them from the crowd !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yep…I think the managers and recording studio people know what sells, and that’s what they demand from the musician, who needs the money and gradually loses his/her musical soul when that whole process begins…I’m guessin’.  I once had a job playing guitar and singing folk songs at the steak house the state representative built along the interstate back in Whitley Co.  I played for free, but could collect tips…anyway, I played my own thing I enjoyed playing, but I dreaded when he would walk by, because he’d always stop and tell me to play Puff the Magic Dragon, or Bridge Over Troubled Water…lol…I’m not cutting them down, but they ain’t for me and just don’t feel right or sound right coming from me.  I had to do it when he said…but I just really didn’t like being forced to do things that just didn’t come outta me right or with any sense of naturalness.  I really tried to just look overwhelmingly busy or preoccupied when I saw him coming toward me…lol.  Bridge Over TRoubled Water especially makes me lose my mind…lol.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.