Musical Adventures

This topic contains 82 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Steve Srader Steve Srader 21 hours ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Went jamming about 100 mi from home yesterday.I’m really happier than I appear (I think that was when I’d run out of coffee). I played about an hour on fiddle with one group, then another hour or so on Bass with another. Had a great time!

• This topic was modified 1 year ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Cool…sounds like fun, except they need to keep that coffee going!  You look happy…that’s the same as my happy look…lol.  People always ask me what’s wrong…I’m like…huh?  I’m happy…this is my happy face!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

That’s an amazing photo…kind of a studio art thing you’d pay a lot to get it done.  Light effect is great.  A studio picture usually has one shadow contrast, but that one has many of differing shades.

Joe
    Participant

I agree with Rodger on the pic , someone took a heck of a photo. Are you showing us the excited look of I just got all that wood cut in the background?  haha

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

A friend of mine named Bill Warren took the picture. He travels to bluegrass events and does photography year ’round, then posts the pics for the festivals or bands to use…pretty cool guy.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

It is a cool photo. I’m glad you had a great time. It was a good weekend of music for me as well; lots of traveling and performance. At one point I was up on a four-foot concrete column playing solo for a group of children who were doing a Jewish circle dance (Feast of the Weeks). It was an exhausting weekend, and I’m sure I looked tired but happy, kind of like you in that pic. Thanks for posting!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Got the info on 2 sets for  an Aug 11th show.  Ha…I play 3 of the songs. A Bunch af  standards I haven’t worked out yet in the key they’ll be in, and about 4-5 I’ve never heard of but they’re cool songs and not overly difficult.

They sent me PDFs of the basic & chords and an MP4 of each unfamiliar song. I love organization!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5r7Ao3ukWxGbWx6MDAybF9JSzQ?usp=sharing

We’ll be getting together next week. at a festival I’m volunteering at, to run over the material. I’m really  busy all during the festival but I told them I’d make time somewhen. I want to record their versions to get an idea on speeds etc.

The show we are playing is a fiddler’s convention, so I have plenty of motivation to fall apart form fear….ah..I mean to learn to play the material well by showtime…oh dear…haha

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.

Angela
    Participant

Wow. Fun. You have plenty of time to get it worked out. That looks like great sets. I worked out the break for Walking West to Memphis that Clayton plays if you want me to show you what it looks like. It may not be exact but it’s pretty close.

Bruce
    Participant

Spent last Thursday thru Sunday in Mountain View, Arkansas jamming with friends from the central Missouri area. WOW, 3 long days and many hours of playing.  Got to thank John for all the fiddle tunes he has taught me over the years.  When it was my turn in the jam, I’d just go back to the old standards that I know well.  I don’t get to jam with good musicians very often so I have learned, play the stuff you know very, very well and don’t play too fast and everything will be good.  You can play to jam tracks all day for a week but it is no substitute to playing in a big circle with a bunch of talented folks on a variety of instruments. .  I must confess that I did play mandolin about half the time.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  Bruce.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Enjoy!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Yeah I thought the sets looked pretty good. I like the Gibson brothers stuff they do…never heard it before…vocals remind me of the Nashville bluegrass Band.

The people I’m playing with are very humble and would have never asked me if I hadn’t volunteered to help…got an old band-mate to agree to helping out on bass too. All are great folks so it should be a lot of fun.

Sounds like a great jam Bruce.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Dave, that’s a good set list. Hope to hear some of it!

Bruce, that sounds like a fun time. Three days — that is a great jam fest!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Just home from Charlotte Bluegrass Festival…what an Awesome time! Great band line up, super parking lot jamming… so many old friends there and new ones made! Can’t remember ever having a more enjoyable time at a festival. It was a real highlight getting to hear my bass in the competent hands of Edgar Loudermilk while jamming, and getting to meet him an Jeff Autry…great guys!

Had to leave Sat to play a show in Defiance OH…had a fun show with some good pickers and a great crowd, then back up to the Fest in MI for the evening.

I’m pooped but very inspired again after the super jams I got to play in.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sounds great!  Like you just got your musical booster shots…ready to go!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

And going I am…packing to head to another fest this afternoon…hehehe…not working though, just enjoying.

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Dave, that looks like it was a great festival! At first I was offended that you were so close and didn’t say “hi,” then I realized it was in Charlotte, MI, not Charlotte, NC. 🙂

http://www.charlottebluegrassfestival.com/

And very cool that you met some of the headliners. You are having a very musical summer.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

The best kinda summer!  Enjoy that, Dave…can we look forward to any videos????

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Ha! John if I ever get that close I promise I’ll drop you a line and try to visit. My buddy plays banjo for Edgar so I ended up hanging out with them a bit mostly through association & proximity (they were staying at the next campsite).

I’m hoping to hit 1-2 festivals each month this year…which ones I attend are controlled by my pocketbook, so distance is still a major factor…tentative plans on at least one each in IN and OH though.

Played or jammed most of last night and several hours today. Home tonight for work tomorrow, then back to the Festival for the weekend…Clay Hess is the headliner on Sat…looking forward to that and some more jamming.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hope you had a great time! Clay Hess is an awesome guitarist. I saw him with Ricky Scaggs.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Well, I was confused…Clay  will be at a later fest I’m going to. Did have a very good time though.

Jammed quite a bit on the fiddle (it’s all I brought), and found I’m still pretty speed deficient  due to the difficulty of what I’m trying to incorporate in my playing.  I did manage to pull a couple breaks off that set my buddies back in their seats a bit though…hehe

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That’s great! I don’t doubt that you turned some heads. You are much improved over last year and your practice regimin is second to none. Thanks for representing! 🙂

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Thanks John! I’ve a long way to go yet, and most of the head turns were probably due to my actually getting through a break…haha.

Right now I’m going through a big style change (more melody in double stops) to try and get ready for the show I have coming in a few weeks. Hoping to have at least one rehearsal with the whole group before the show.

Going across the State Sat. to pull Bass for a jam with some friends of a friend. Should be a good time and a nice little break from fiddle practice.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Gosh…ain’t no stoppin’ you…and a style change is always an exciting thing!  Happy playing!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Sounds great, Dave. It’s a good testimony that a friend recommended you to their friends. Hope you have a great day!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Pic of us playing at the fiddler’s convention last weekend…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Looks like a fun thing.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Crowd was small but appreciative. Sound guy didn’t help much. Had a good time picking with my friends though.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Cool shirt!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Went to  Brown County Bluegrass Festival

this weekend. The stage show, park, and lot picking were excellent!

I didn’t play a whole bunch…what started as a 9 hour drive turned into 16hr when i lost an idler pulley and tore up my serpentine belt in the truck just outside of Toledo. 4 hrs and $500+ later – back on the road…then I-80 is construction and 50mph all the way from Toledo to  Cleveland.

Dropped off a machine I sold and was delivering just South of Cleveland and made it the rest of the way there…arrival at festival = 2:30am on Sat.

Too warn out to do much on Saturday, but did manage to jam a bit…only one that got caught on tape I was playing bass…not sure if it will play but will share it anyway:

https://www.facebook.com/sandy.lindhout/posts/1926471924046612

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Dave, sorry about the trip, but I’m glad you made it safely. I’m not going to every complain again about my trip home after seeing the eclipse! The second FB link didn’t work for me, so I didn’t get to hear the picking. But I’m glad you enjoyed the festival!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Changed the settings on the second link…might work now…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Can’t get links on Facebook pages unless it’s something open to the public.  Anyway, sounds like a tough trip to the festival.  Hope you enjoyed what you could get to.  Hope for no more trips like that one!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Taking off tomorrow morning for Van Wert, OH. This will probably be the last festival I go to this year…getting cooler and the season is about over  up here.

I was hoping to make Bean Blossom this fall, but the budget says I have to settle for OH instead.

kjdebolt
    Participant

Have fun!  I grew up right close to Van Wert in Woodburn, Indiana.  Fall is a great time to travel because of t he tree colors.  I don’t think they have had a frost yet though.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Thanks, should be a good time.

color…nope…not even close…been a heat wave up here for several weeks…supposed to hit in the 90’s tomorrow.  Color usually peaks in Oct here in MI.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

We usually peak in mid-October but the leaves already changing here. I’ve never seen it this early.

I hope you have a great time at the festival!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Thanks! Weather is supposed to be warm & dry, and I have several friends playing there so looking good so far…

It’s been really dry here (haven’t mowed in two months) and we have some leaves turning because of that, but they fall off very quickly. The white pines are losing needles like crazy right now.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

We’ve had plenty of rain, thanks to Harvey and Irma. Wish we could send some your way!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Ah! Good to be back home.  Had a great time at the festival. Played fiddle with different people for about 12 hours fri…finally quit at 4:30 am.  Saturday I had a little less energy but still played a few hours. Made some great new friends and exchanged info…shared some things with another fiddler…just had a blast the whole time, well worth the cost and the 4hr drive each way…hoping to hit this one again next year.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I’m so glad it was worth the cost and drive. And I was excited to read in another place that you had a great “in the zone” jam experience there. That is the kind of thing that builds lasting memories AND inspires your practice for weeks to come!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in