My hermit existence all over the stage today…lol

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? My hermit existence all over the stage today…lol

This topic contains 22 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 3 months ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

After having given up on ever having someplace to play music, besides the big bluegrass scene I just don’t jive much with here…and years of hiding out just doing stuff needed to be done and pretty much hanging out with the Presonus…tonight, suddenly…I am thrust against my will into doing lots of stuff at a belly dance fund raiser…lol.  Oh gosh…how on earth????   yes, well, don’t worry, I can’t dance at all, and belly dance is way outta my league, so the usual audicence expecting belly dancing for 99 per cent of the show, will be smacked upside the head with my kentucky fried fiddling…first a comedy act of sorts with grandson…where there will be fiddling, then just fiddling while daughter thumps out stuff on the banjo, just to fill in the gaps that the belly dancers can’t make this year…then, I have no idea what…the bass player from the old band I used to be in called me wanting to do some of the old “Bluegrass classics,” not sure what those are…bass and ????  Not sure what we could do…he wants to do Windy and Warm on the guitar…me on the guitar and him on bass, but my days of plucking the daylights outta the guitar to try in vain to be heard and stay on rhythm at the same time ended after many frustrating attempts to deal with lousy soundsytyems and Windy and Warm…here we go again.  I’d rather not have to resort back to clumsy fingerpicks, but…without there’d be no chance for audibility, if that’s a word.  Anyway…I’m feeling better at being a hermit than getting out there and forcing something that will seem strange and foreign to these people, just because I was in existence when they had too many no=shows for the show this year…ugh…but i’ve got work to do today so I’ll worry about all that later.  Not sure if there will be any video or anything…I know I don’t wanna see it…lol.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket Your to hard on yourself , Just do what you can , mead-e-oker is fine and just sit it out , if you cannot fit in to a tune that they are doing , If you are not comfortable with a tune sit it out , No shame in that , If I don’t know a tune , and cant pick it up after the first verse/ Chorus , I simple don’t do it ! Again no shame in sitting it out ! More often than not I wish people would not play if the cannot do right , It is so hard when , You have to be strong enough , to push and bull dog your way through a song when people are going in all the wrong directions  ! LOL

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’ll just be doing something different, or whatever…I don’t even know exactly what they want from me…I know they are desperate for people to do anything…too many absentees this year…not sure how i got wrapped up into this…lol.  Anyway…I’ll do what i can but just really not into it much.  Not looking forward to it at all…lol.

Fayew3
    Participant

Hi Cricket, I want to send you a hug. I am the biggest extrovert you will ever meet, BUT…just before every jam, every performance, every practice session with another human, I have this overwhelming urge to cancel on them. Especially if it has the potential in my head to be a hot mess. My very humble advice would be to give yourself a break. I’ve heard you play and sing and I know belly dancers and fiddling could be a lot of fun. Once you get there, just let it be. I hope you do both things and I hope they bring you joy and not angst.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Faye.  I used to be all extrovert too, but here in the past few years I’ve slowly turned around in the opposite direction.  I guess I’ll make us a pizza here in a few minutes and get ready to find the place…we’ve been there before to participate as audience…watch the shows and contribute to the fund raising efforts…but it’s a hard place to find.  Anyway…yeah, pizza…gonna make us a pizza so we don’t get hungry, find the place, find the bass guy from the old band, figure out what we could possibly do together, just him and me…lol…whatever, then run through the practice with grndson on our little thing that’ upposed to be funny…lol…I’m scared it ain’t gonna be funny.  Then we’ll feel ridiculous.  Nothin’ more ridiculous than trying to be funny and not being funny…lol.  Oh gosh.  Then I gotta play a couple of fiddle tunes my daughter can thump along on the banjo with…I mean…they are just hard up for acts this year…the usual belly dance crowd all either had somewhere to be or got injuries to keep them off their feet, etc.  I have a messed up toe…stubbed it bad on the stationary bike…ain’t that funny that the bike we have to keep us mobile and on our feet took me off my feet…wow…bruised and hurts to wear shoes…but, it can’t stop a person from fiddling, or saying joke lines, or playing whatever it isthe bass guy want to play.  I don’t know how he ended up finding about it and getting involved…this is such a strange and weird thing…I’ve missed playing so much, no place to play…now, well here’s a chance, but I’m just thinking it’s too weird…lol.  This whole thing is feeling like a comedy act, the whole experience…lol. But thanks for that pat on the back…I’ll take that good thought with me tonight!

Fayew3
    Participant

I hope the pizza was tasty. I know. It would be a fear to practice funny and get no laughs. I am hopeful, praying, fingers crossed…all of it for you and all involved.

I’m back from a painting class and about to pick up the instruments and work out. 🙂 I shall await your message on how it went.  🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks so much, Faye.  Well, to my surprise, they laughed…lol.  My husband used my phone to record ssome of it, but then I ran outta hard drive space, or however you say that for cell phones, and he didn’t get some of it…gosh I was in too many things…lol.  We can’t get stuff onto youtube from his phone, just mine…I’ve got the youtube account.  Anyway, it takes forever to upload from my phone…I’m putting the videos up now…unfortunately the video stopped working just as we, the guy from my old blue grass band and I, were starting Windy and Warm…he also missed our daughter’s belly dance…she was really good but the phone wasn’t working at all by then.  Anyway…ok, so my hermit self survived getting in public again…lol.  I guess I should force myself to get back out to jams, even if I don’t really like the ones here so much…it’s kinda scary when you’ve holed away and then suddenly, blam…you find yourself scattered all over some stage playing somewhere.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Here’s the little comedy skit my grandson and daughter and I did.  They had done the little Vaudeville thing about not saying Martha earlier and she threw a pie in his face…which was supposed to be part of this joke here…lol…something like that.

Daughter on banjo, me on fiddle…

Joe from the band and me doing the Banks of the ohio…normally he plays bass

It’s too bad Windy and Warm got cut off after a few seconds.  Shoulda done that one first…lol.  anway, I’ve bored anyone still awake long enough for now.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Cricket, that was really fun and creative! Thank you for posting! I really enjoyed watching three generations of musicians. 🙂  Great stuff!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket I enjoyed this a lot , Thanks !

Fayew3
    Participant

Cricket, this was wonderful and I surely giggled at the skit. I enjoyed everything! Thank you for sharing it.

I wish we were closer. I would love to play and sing with ya!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sorry to post so many…lol.  But doggone, I was minding my own business the other day and suddenly I got wrapped up in doing one thing, the next thing I know it’s like I’m doing several things…lol.  Not ready for that, I’ve been hiding around here for a few years.  Anyway, I have to admit, as much as i didn’t feel ready to jump out there and do all of that, I did enjoy it, and I wish there was more stuff like that to do.  It’s a shame Windy and warm got cut off, but Annie tells me her husband got it…so…well those guys are slow, lol, but one day they’ll get it posted to their youtube.  Anyway, thanks, guys.  Faye…your pat on the back did help me out…lol…I knew I had somebody rootin’ fer me…you’re very kind and I know we would have so much fun playing some stuff together and inhaling the puppy breath…lol.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

very entertaining. one of my favorites is the banks of the ohio

Angela
    Participant

haha….awesome!  I bet the audience loved all of that.  All of you are good performers….even the little g-son who is coming along really good on that violin.  He seems like he likes it just fine on that stage.

Great job Cricket.  Yes!  Absolutely, do more of that!  You have a gift and have passed it through the family!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

LOL…thanks, Angela.  Annie and grandson Roro are more into classical, really.  We thought up that little skit because he took violin class for homeschoolers, taught by the local university, last year, for the school year…and sometimes I’d come over and he’d be playing and then I’d pick upt he fiddle and he’d say…”Granny, you’re holding the bow wrong, etc., etc., etc…you’re making my violin sound like a fiddle.”  Then we kinda were laughing about that and thinking about the old Bugs Bunny cartoon where Bugs was thumping along on the banjo while the opera guy was trying to practice…we thought we had the fiddle/violin version of that going on in real life…lol, so, It might be funny.  Annie can clawhammer on a banjo pretty good, but she doesn’t r eally like old time much…they just needed acts this year..desperate to fill in the gaps left by so many who couldn’t do it this year.  i used to have lots of places to play when we lived in SE KY, but since we moved up to this part of the state, I’ve had no places to play.  I’m outta the mode…I had stage fright pretty bad that night…people fright, really, just to be in a big room with all those people…I’ve gotten into the habit of just not trying to fit in up here…no sense of community that I can see. Anyway, yes, i was pretty nervous and self-conscious…truly a horrifyingly bad hair day and all that, but I did enjoy myself and wish there could be some more opportunities to do stuff like that.  They have ONe old time band around here…anwhere you go…farmer’s markets, whatever, it’s that same band.  They even have the ONe old time jam, that one old time band does…very expensive to go to and that band overly controls the whole thing to where it/s not worth the effort…imho.  Anyway…yes, this was fun.  I appreciate the kind words.  Maybe they’ll ask us back next year.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Sad to read about the area folks having no sense of community.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I think some of them here do…but I’ve never found it here.  I’m just too weird for up here…lol.  I gotta say it’s scary to think where we’d be by today if we’d stayed back home…so…life was very, very tough…although there was a strong knit community.  Here, we’ve had an easier life…but the feeling of isolation.  I guess it’s hard to get somewhere where you can find both community and not be grappling for existence…lol…can’t have it all.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

LMAO!!!!!! (Yep, I’m still lovin. my Angora overcoat!)

Cricket, that was so creative and… fun, fun, FUN! I enjoyed every minute of it. Gave me a really good laugh! And Roro is a pretty good fiddle player for just one year in. Hope he can keep learning. Yes, please make more of these fun family videos! The only question is: Are you ready for your close-up?

Girl, you gotta get yourself offa that porch and outa them there hills that you’re in and move to North Carolina!  🙂

Fayew3
    Participant

Cricket, so glad it helped! yes!! also….puppy breath!!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Scott, I’m very proud of Roro…he practiced hard all year.  Proud of my daughter too…she can do whatever she tries to do…dance, sing, play an instrument…be funny, etc.  One day I should move to N. Carolina…it seems to be teeming with music people!  Faye, I love puppy breath, but I think it’s kinda skunky-smelling. My daughter always thought I was crazy for saying that, but now she agrees …it’s cute, pleasant, but skunky.  Scott, it’s heartwarming to see how you love your angora coat!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Whoa…somehow I got myself italicized.  I can’t use this chromebook without weird stuff happening.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Weird stuff is GOOD!  Ask me, I’m an expert!  Yep, My Angora Overcoat is suitable in all weather; that’s why I LMAO all the time!   🙂

You would be a welcome talent to our fair state, Cricket.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Scott.  That reminds me of one time when a guy from Greenwich Village came down visiting us at our little community center in SE KY, and he kept saying his buddies in Greenwich Village always accused him of not being weird enough…he hung around down there for several days, and the last day he was there we had a homespun concert, pizza and made him up a certificate of weirdness to officially award him with to take with him on his travels and then show his friends when he got back up there to NY.  We had to assure him that he was plenty weird, afterall.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in