My name is Steve Srader a beginner

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Introduce yourself! My name is Steve Srader a beginner

This topic contains 19 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Steve Srader Steve Srader 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I just inherited my dads old violin ! First two weeks just getting started picked 10 songs to start all beginner level. All down loaded and organized . Can’t play them through smoothly yet but can recognize what they are. I have played guitar all my life, nothing fancy, but good rhythm player and singer of country songs. My past experience is helping as I have always played by ear and My experience with timing and rhythm is paying off. I am not saying I am moving fast ,but feel I am progressing .  I can remember how hard it was learning the first songs on the guitar, but with each new song learned, it gets easier . I will be using this site for years to come . This site is a blessing and I am grateful . God Bless and thank you John Cockman and Family and the members of blue grass Daddy !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Welcome to the fiddling universe…sounds like you have some helpful experience on your side already.  I had played guitar and banjo and always by ear for years before I took up the fiddle too…even though the fiddle is a whole nother critter, all to itself, I believe such past musical experience is one of the most helpful things you can have.  As you said, past experience even reminds us that we didn’t learn anything overnight…we just put one foot in front of the other, and enjoyed every step of the way.  Glad your journey led you here…it’s a great place full of fun and help!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Thank you Cricket Your right about not being able to play over night. I love this site. Johns lesson videos  give the most detail of anything I have ever found,(ever ). Time will make it happen , I am retired and practice Two to four hours a day. Part of that time I play my guitar and sing. I try to play at senior citizens center every chance I get , its my way of giving back . Cricket are you a advanced player Yet ? Do you have any videos ?

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Steve, Cricket is a little bashful to brag on herself, so I’ll tell you she is the greatest source for old time music here.  And she plays about every instrument ever invented, sings very good, as well as helps keep this forum alive and interesting.  She makes multi-track recordings where she plays all the instrumentals and does all the singing, and besides posting here she has some CD’s.  You will definitely have to listen to some of her music posted in many of the past threads here.  Her husband Mike, keeps her in chocolate and coffee, so he takes good care of her.

Congratulations on joining up with us other fiddle fanatics and don’t be shy about jumping in and adding to the conversations going on here all the time.  Just wondering what neck of the woods you hail from?  My family roots all hail from W. Va. from way, way back.

Joe
    Participant

Welcome Steve and have fun. Sounds like your off to a good start.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Rodger , I was born in Roswell, New Mexico but have been in Elkins , Arkansas since I was 13 years old 1963 off and on . There was a time say 35 years ago after a divorce that I took my guitar and bar hopped solo for about ten years , I was all over I would play and sing for tips and play a different place almost every afternoon as folks would tell me where the next small beer bar was usually within 50 miles next thing I knew I had played my way to Montana and Canada and back, but once back home I set down deep roots I have been in Elkins, Arkansas ever since . I love to entertain folks with music and laughs its in my blood .

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Interesting Steve…say..I’m sorry, I just have to ask?  Was it really a flying saucer that crashed down there in Roswell??   Since you were born there, I’ll take your word as the final say.

Sounds like you spent some time in Alberta then…I ended up in the foothills, an hour out of Rocky Mountain House.  No doubt with all that playing experience you can make those strings sing..You could make some great backing tracks.  Are you familiar at all with any of the intricate Latin styles of rhythm?  I’m working on some Argentinian tangos & folk tunes, and trying to play with the recorded backing tracks is driving me crazy.  Here’s a quote from the book describing just one of many.
    “The sincopa rhythm is a more complicated proposition. The first beat of the bar is anticipated by half a beat without an attack and with the accent coming on the beat. Strings and piano can slide or glissando up to the note and the bandoneon effects a swell from nothing; the term for this is arrastre or drag. After the accent the chord is repeated in echo on the second half of the first beat, and again on the third beat preceded by a half-beat anacrusis in the bass. An innovative aspect of the new style is that the rhythmic patterns change frequently within a section or phrase so that there is a constantly shifting rhythmic feel to the music… ”

I could guess the way that got invented was, they threw a guy into a nest of rattlesnakes and just listened to how he played for a minute.

I had one one very brief moment of insanity, thinking of doing a guitar track for the break in the middle of Milonga Pampeana.  But that crazy thought didn’t last long.  I have that on a backing track, and I’ll post it when I can get it ready.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Howdy Steve, and welcome! You’ve had quite a journey. I know you are going to take to the fiddle. If you have any questions, please let us know. John

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I only play country,  western, country & western and blue grass and some 50 and 60s rock & roll mostly all old stuff . I like to listen to other types of music sometimes . But I love the old stars . The old artist where all self taught and sounded like no one else its like you knew who they where the minute they started singing or their band started playing they all had very different styles and voices , they didn’t need videos back then . Now everything is video and all kinds of effects and distractions and I think a lot of them are cut from the same cloth so to speak . I wish there were more new ones that stood out from the rest with some extreme individualism . Now about aliens , I believe it was the air force doing experiments . Roswell does have a museum with alien tourism stuff but I don’t believe , there where ever aliens there . But will never know for sure ??? Now about me once I got to far from home I was kind of trapped I had to play in order to move on, just barely making enough tips to survive . What kept me going was the joy and tears I got from strangers,  There where and are a lot of people that can play guitar better than me, I really played these places without microphones or amps just me and my acoustic guitar I could sing so powerful back then I could make peoples hair hackle and people thought I had a mic, I don’t have that kind of vocal power anymore . My guitar playing is mostly cording I almost never use a capo only when people play in the B flat cord progression That’s a cord progression I personally never use  I do use extra cords between cords and walk the strings between cord changes but I really don’t pick its what works for me.   I would like to hear the Latin  style your talking about ! when you post it.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I love that dry New Mexico air Steve.  I always have sinus headaches back east, but that dry air is wonderful for me.  I don’t believe there are people like us, from other planets visiting earth…but the aliens, of sort, that I believe in are Angels, and it would be impossible for me not to believe in Angels.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Rodger I do believe we are not alone in the universe it goes on for infinity we can’t be alone in such a infinite space. I believe in God , the Son and the holy ghost and Angels . I have seen to many things not to believe . Now at 67 years young I am thankful each day I awake and have another day . I have been blessed to have the gift to make others happy with music and will continue until I cannot . Today I entertain My Mother and happy Mothers day to all mothers !

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Hello Steve!  We offer greetings from a far off galaxy: far too remote for Earth people to travel to, and your technology is not yet advanced enough to reach us (you will need to learn how to morph time and space first), but we are aware of everything that happens on your beautiful planet.  We watch with concern as the man – made conflicts on your planet mar what could otherwise be a beautiful existence for you all.  We will be returning to Earth hopefully in a few seasons.   We do miss our fiddle lessons with John, who incidentally has the best fiddle site in any of the galaxies, and he loves helping us learn as ‘alien fiddlers’ when it comes to such a strange but interestingly beautiful musical instrument.

Our warmest salutations to you and best wishes for a happy fiddle journey.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Klaatu barada nikto, Great Scott! We welcome your long awaited visit from the otherverse. Proof positive that we are not alone. 🙂

Steve, I have to agree about those old artists. No autotune, no synthesizers, just real music. We need a revival!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Thanks John , I will Do a video with my own rhythm and vocals with the violin once I get a tune flowing . I’ll do beginner first, then again however long it takes to get the same tune to intermediate !  I love your site , I am excited ! Been working it.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Welcome to BGD, Steve!

Robin123
    Participant

Welcome Steve:o)

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Steve, I look forward to that.

nagumaq
    nagumaq
    Participant

Welcome to BGD Steve , happy for you and violin and joining the site ,  keeping your Dads fiddle alive so honoring and wise for you have so much fun playing , can’t wait to hear you playing n the Lions Den , learning here is the best , you will move forward no doubt fast and solid , John lessons are number one !

Here is a yeeeeeeehaw for you , 😀🎶

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

oops…what key was that yeehaw in Gu…(are those quarter notes or flats?  You’re already practising yeehaws in Eb?? )

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by rodger rodger.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Thanks everybody working on four tunes but cant get through even one without getting hung and restarting, but, improving daily . Then I need to setup my record cam and mic do a background rhythm then play along until I get lucky and don’t stumble ! LOL

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in