My Old Weichold Bow

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things My Old Weichold Bow

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Frederick Frederick 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Here’s a picture my repairman just sent me. He’s been re-hairing my bow and putting a new grip on it and cleaning it up and re-balancing it and fixing the frog and pearl slide. He also adjusted the camber which I wouldn’t let just anyone do. He’s good.

I can’t wait to pick it up this afternoon on my way to perform out of town.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Fred is this a wood bow , I hope your happy with it looks very nice !

If you don’t mind me asking how much does he charge for a rehair ?

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Yes, Steve, it’s a wood bow. It’s pernambuco and it’s a real Weichold and probably worth a whole lot of moolah. I’ve had this bow quite a number of years now. It was given to me by a friend of mine who knew a doctor whose wife had recently (at the time) passed away and the dr. gave my friend his wife’s violin, bows and case. She then gave them to me. I still have the violin and the bows but I don’t remember what happened to the case.

I’ve been using this violin bow lately while I give my Tourte a rest.

As far as how much he charges for just a bow re-hair, I’ll ask him tonight and get back to you later on right on this thread, either tonight or tomorrow.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Fred there is no rush !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Looks nice, Fred!  Hope you enjoy playing with that.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

He worked on the camber, re-haired it with fiddlers blend stallion hair, super cleaned the bow, put a silver wrap with leather grip, used the old time-tested way of cutting wedges and using melted rosin to hold the hairs on each end. He just did a super job.

It took a long while to rosin the bow and get it responding but when it did, it came alive. I’m actually incredibly happy with the bow. I played it for two hours non-stop with the band I jam with on Tuesdays and everyone commented on how good the fiddle sounded. I told them it was the bow helping a whole lot.

Steve, I forgot to ask him about the re-hairing price, but I will this coming Thursday when I perform with him and our band called “Hit or Miss”.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I am not in need right now but in the future when it’s time my Coda bow Diamond NX will someday need to be rehaired so contact information and probably mailing the bow to him would be good to have that information !

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Okay, Steve, I’ll get you all the info for you to have on file.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I get to pick up my old Tourte bow this coming Tuesday night. I had the same fellow repair this one as I had do my Weichold bow last week. He does an absolutely amazing job. He’s cleaned the Tourte, adjusted the camber, re-haired it, adjusted the frog length and put a new grip on it using silver winding and leather.

I can’t wait. This will mean that both of my favorite bows have been re-done to exacting tolerances by a bow pro. My other bows are all set, but if and when they need repair, I know where to send them.

What a difference a good bow in good shape makes. (I’d forgotten how much I love my Weichold bow until last week).

I’ve got a nice carbon fiber bow that I rarely use. I noticed lately that they are now making the CF bows that have strands facing both directions equally. I’d like to play one of those bows and see what a difference it would make to the sounds of my various fiddles.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I picked up my Tourte bow from the luthier/archetier last night and gave it a two and a half hour workout. It performed flawlessly (wish I could say the same for my performing…lol).

I had him clean it, change the frog, put a leather grip on it, re-camber it and re-hair it. It comes in at 58.08 grams and the Weichold bow came in at 55.25 grams. I’m deliriously happy with both of them. Yes!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Fred, I sure hope you can handle all that delerium ok.  Maybe, could I just visit your luthier/archetier and get myself rehaired and re-cambered?

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Rodger, I’ll give him a “heads up” to be on the lookout for you. I hope I’m there that day. I’d like to see all that work being done!

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Fred, that is a pricey bow! So, after the makeovers, do you still prefer the Tourte?

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Hi John: Actually I now prefer the Weichold. It’s around 3 grams lighter which is very hard to tell by just handling the bow, but it seems a bit “bouncier” than the Tourte. Really it’s all so close with both bows, it’s kind of a toss up……….but for the time being I’m favoring the Weichold.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I found out last night that my Heddon aluminum hollow bow was made by Heddon for the Gibson company around 1945. Not a bit of paint has come off it and it’s as straight as an arrow and very light. The frog is still in great shape. I re-haired it about three years ago and it’s still holding up just fine. I was pleased to know more about this very rare bow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.