My three Violins show and tell

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? My three Violins show and tell

This topic contains 37 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 2 months ago.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

My Dads old HOLF German violin I call Poppa , My violin I bought from Kennedy violins I call Antonio I gave a little over $600.00 for its supposed to be intermediate level , and finally my newest violin I bought from China I call Maggie I paid $300.00 including shipping it came with a case and a bow and three rosins . If you haven’t been following the story on Maggie check out , the forum topic , Magic difference between fiddles , I messed up showing Maggie I got tired , What are your Opinions on these three violins ? On there tonal quality’s ? I will post another link on this show and tell , with Maggie later by herself when I am feeling up to snuff !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Beautiful little fiddle family, there, Steve.  I wanted to like Poppa the best, and Maggie the least, and I thought they were all very good.  However, Poppa mighta been slightly sweeter than the other two, but to my ear, Antonio and Maggie were close…I’m calling Antonio the overall winner…but they are all very nice.  Thanks for the show and tell…I enjoyed it very much and they’re nice fiddles…it’s great to see them compared side by side…tough choice to know which to choose for what tune, I guess.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket thank you , I will be changing parts out on Maggie as I have a replacement Bridge to do and a new tail piece and chin rest for Her , what I set her up with are old left overs that are not quit right the notch’s for the string placement on the bridge is off . I should have Her permanently setup  by this coming weekend

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Steve, I’m going to go with Cricket on the ranking of these fiddles. Although Maggie is a better value for the money, Antonio seems to have a nice mid-range tone that comes well through the mic. However, they are very close! I look forward to hearing Maggie when you get her all set up!

PS~ Great work on the tune as well. You are continuing to improve!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

This is a follow up with Maggie doing , Over the Waves , There will be one more follow up with Maggie the strings are Helicore medium . I think there a little or sharp , so i am going to try a set of Helicore heavy’s on her and see what happens .

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Good job Steve!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

This is Antonio doing , Over the Waves , on this show and tell , I swear I cannot quite get it right when I’m recording , I had to retry like 5 times with Antonio to get it kind of OK , With Maggie I got lucky like on the 2nd try , I know none of these tunes are perfection , But hope fully I’ll get my song/tunes more right by My 1st anniversary coming up in May it’s coming up to fast !

kjdebolt
    Participant

you are sounding much better Dave.  I wish I had your courage to post more 🙁

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Dave, I have to agree, you just keep improving. And, Maggie was sounding really good in the above video. You’re going to have quite an achievement when you hit the 1-year mark!

PS~ I’m planning to publish my lesson for your gospel tune tomorrow evening.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Dave is a good name I might use it from time to time , and thanks for the encouragement , I cant wait to hear My tune , You guys do know my name is Steve , But Dave is good too !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Haha…Steve, one thing that gets so confusing on message boards is most people have some handle other than their name, and some use their real name, and then everybody’s all confused about who we all are…lol.  Anyway, Over the Waves isn’t that easy a tune…I think you’re doing great!  You’ll have to put us together a concert for your upcoming fiddling anniversary celebration.  We supply our own cake and ice cream, you wear the party hat and supply the music!  Well on this one, I have to say I thought Antonio was sounding super…both sounded good, but to my ear, Antonio wins the prize of the day.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Bravo Antonio!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Haha sorry Steve, I was posting too late at night again. 🙂

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

This is Maggie doing , Over the waves , I changed out the strings from medium Helicore strings to heavy Helicore strings to make her darker , Does this sound better or worse ? I really do appreciate what everyone thinks !

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I like the sound of the heavy strings… It’s a little hard to tell over this medium though. Both sound good to me! What do you think about the playability of the heavy strings compared to the mediums?

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

John I think the heavy strings  make Maggie a little darker , and I really can’t tell much difference in how they bow , Maybe after a few weeks I’ll have a better idea on the difference ! I was surprised they are slightly bigger but not by a lot !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Steve, have you noticed different fiddles sounding better on different tunes? I have two fiddles, well, three, but my least favorite is out on loan…anyway between the two I actually play…I have a favorite all around, and another one that seems to like D tunes.  I feel like I enjoy playing my viola more than fiddles, because it’s very mellow.  My D fiddles tends to be harsh, etc.  Anyway, wondering if you or others notice different fiddles seem to do better with certain types of music?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

If so, is this a plausible excuse for pleading with our spouses for more fiddles?  Haha…kidding…we could starve if I don’t stop buying instruments…at least I buy cheapies!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Cricket, I do think fiddles have sounds that lend their use to a particular style. For example, a bright, dry fiddle is good for celtic jigs, while a warm, dark fiddle is good for old-time waltzes.

On a more-affordable scale, some people use different bows for different types of tunes. 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I need to get myself some better bows one of these days….next on my list…lol.  Don’t anybody tell Mike…I gotta spring it on him when he’s got money in his pocket…lol.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I love them both , Cause there not the same , I can’t help but want to switch back and forth , their both my favorite ! ha , Kind of makes me fickle ,

Question ?

On the bow subject I wish there was a store where I could try different bows to see the difference ! You can go to a guitar store and play every guitar they got , But I have never seen that with violins or bows , Does anyone know where there’s a violin shop that will let you come in and play through their inventory like a guitar shop ?

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Scott Pool’s Music Store in Mountain View has many fiddles and many bows and customers have access to them all. Play ’em all and the bows, too.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I have the same trouble, Steve.  I hope Fred’s suggestion will help you.  Otherwise, what I do is read on message boards what other people like and then take my chances and order fiddle stuff…I don’t know of anyplace around me that has fiddle or banjo stuff, either one.  Guitars galore, but not much else.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Thanks Fred that’s just what I need , I’ll have to plan a trip to Scott Pools music store and maybe get to meet you while I’m there . I’ll have to save up some spending money, nothin worse than going to a candy store broke !

Fred were you born in 1950 looking at your handle ? I was a 1950 Baby !

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Well I checked the trip map it would be just under 4 hours , So once I have some play money saved up I could leave early , visit for four hours , go back home all in 12 hours , So play money is my only hold up ! ha !

Cricket maybe someone like John or somebody else knows of a place in your neighborhood ?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well…I don’t think I have that kinda tolerance for taking long trips like you guys…wow…4 hours to go to the store…lol.  I really hate to travel and I get stuck enough running up and down I-75 between all the places where we have to help people and work like mad because everybody just has such a hard time and so many problems. I never go anywhere besides having to do that stuff.  I guess I’ll keep taking my chances ordering online, unless somebody does come up with some music store within a few miles that I don’t know about.  I’ve had decent luck ordering online, except when I got a D-18…always wanted a Martin…finally got one directly from where they are made, in Pennsylvania…cane with a crack and we contacted Martin and they were like, “ Well, take it to a luthier and get it fixed,” so I’m like…” can’t afford to get it fixed after just buying a Martin.”  Anyway, we went round and round…I got pretty disillusioned with Martin…sold it,and don’t wanna deal with them anymore.  But I bought my banjo online, all of my fiddles, bows, strings…cello of course…so far, pretty good luck and happy with my stuff, except for that Martin experience…and I don’t have to sit in the car all day…lol…the UPS person can do that, and I’ll just wait here, or wher3ver I have to be.  Anyway…hope you can get saved up for it and enjoy yourself a nice shopping spree, Steve!  That’ll be fun.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Yes Steve, I was born/hatched back in 1950. Let me know when you get the play dough all collected. If I’m back in Arkansas then, I’ll gladly tell Scott you’re coming in to try a bunch of fiddles and bows and meet you there in Mountain View and maybe have a few tunes with you and introduce you to a bunch of my pickin’ friends there.

I chose the name “Fiddliferous” playing with the word coniferous being trees that bear cones and fiddliferous being fiddles that bear music cones? lol

But if you all would like to shorten the typing, just call me Fred. I don’t know why I pick alias names for all these forums. It’s too much to remember each time I visit a different one.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Steve: I just thought of a cheaper way for you to do this. I know it wouldn’t be as much fun by any means, but it would be almost as good. You could call Scott and discuss your fiddling style and have him offer comments and advice and perhaps suggest a bow to send you with the understanding you could return it and try another.

Think about it and let me know if you want me to call him.

http://www.mountainviewmusic.com/

kjdebolt
    Participant

I think the only issue I have with trying different bows is that it takes a while to get Rosin built up on them so they sound good.  Maybe I am doing something wrong???  Any advice?

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Fred a phone number would be nice and if he has a web site that would be even better !

Fred I was born February 17 , 1950 in Roswell, New Mexico

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Kj, it always takes a ton of rosin to get a new bow going, for sure. But it would be nice if there were music stores that had samples of different bows that customers could try before buying.  Maybe there are stores like that somewhere…I don’t know.  Steve, does that make you an alien? 😆

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by cricket cricket.
    fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Steve, the number for Mountain View Music is 1-870-269-9044

Scott is the owner and the guy to talk to.

Hi Steve. me again. I just called and talked with Scott’s wife who teaches violin/fiddle at the store and she’s happy to work with you in any way she can. She’ll be out of town with Scott for the next week or so, but after that anytime is good Tuesday thru Saturday.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Yes Cricket , I am a alien , can’t prove but I think so , maybe ha!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Thanks Fred , it will be a few months .

John Cockman
    Keymaster

The shops here all let you try out the inventory. I sometimes play the fiddles at the Appalachian Music Shop in Boone, or I visit Alfred Michaels or Bob Kogut who are local local luthiers.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I have an interesting and diverse assortment of violin bows in my double fiddle case that I carry with me to all my performances.

The case holds four bows. I have a Tourte bow that is my main go-to one, followed by a Weichold bow that I often use when the Tourte needs an application of rosin and I’m in the middle of a performance.
    The third bow is a carbon fiber bow that when I do use it I always seem to remember that it’s a good bow that doesn’t get enough of my attention. The fourth bow I keep in this case is a great bow made in the early 70’s by a fishing lure company named Hedon. It’s an all aluminum bow and it’s as straight now as it was the day it was made. It’s actually a really nice bow.

I have several others, too. But they’re scattered all over and most need re-hairing.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That is an interesting assortment!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yep…sounds like a nice collection.  I’ve bought only cheapies and then when the hair goes ratty I buy a new cheap bow, thinking that’s probably cheaper than paying somebody to re-hair.  I’ve got a big buncha old cheap bows that are unplayably ratty…Mike says one day he will try to learn to re-hair, but life has been way too busy.  I do have my most expense bow, cost just over a hundred dollars…called an incredibow…it’s got artificial hair, artificial stick, no frog, no adjusting…it’s supposed to hold up longer than traditional bows. The6 are family made I think maybe in Arkansas or somewhere out that way.  I like the bow in ways…the tension is tighter than I like, and can’t be adjusted, and I hold my thumb underneath the frog, 2hich gets very uncomfortable with that incredibow, but I found that if you feel like bowing your guitar’s Low E, it works good, and also it records good …especially on thicker strings…like is your fiddle sounds yuckie recording on the low end, the incredibow sharpens that up…I’ve gotten so I record the viola only with the incredibow.  I was thinking to try it on the cello, but afraid the strings might be too thick and wear it out.  Incredibow makes a cello bow…I oughta buy one, but, beings that I just bought the cello, I’m too broke, at the moment…lol.  They also make an omnibow that supposedly works well for any kind of instrument.  You don’t re-hair an incredibow, you send it back and they recycle it.  Kind of strange…but I like the idea and like the bow…just, like I said, too tight and not comfortable because I hold my bow funny.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in