name problems

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Gunnar Salyer Gunnar Salyer 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Here’s an issue with forums:  yep…name problems.  Confusion.  I know lots of us kinda freak out about our actual names flying around willie-nille, or even Willie Nelson, all over cyberspace, where lurkers and pirates are waiting to find creative and high-tech ways to destroy us.  Me too…I mean…hopefully everybody knows my mom and dad didn’t name me Cricket…lol.  Well, why not, though?  But anyway…I get people confused sometimes…and what really helps me is if somebody signs their first name after a post, which I’m guilty of never thinking to do…or if they have a little icon picture of anything that just helps me remember who that person is…I don’t even know how to get those icons on there…John put mine up for me…trust me, I wouldnever have put a photo of myself if I had the know-how how to get a little bitty photo up there by my name, or handle, you know, whatever.  Anyway…I’m not suggesting people do this, write their names or put up photos, I’m jsut reminding everybody that some of us, or me at least…lol… might sometimes get confused and sorry if that happens to any of you here.  Like…you know…Great Scott I would never confuse with any other poster…his eyeballs are so insane…jumping around like Mexican Jumping Beans…not to mention his posts are so, so…creative…lol.  Anyway, I’m just saying…and I’m gonna put my real name at the end of this post.

Signed,

Peggy…aka Groundhog Peggy…going under the guise of my little doggie, Cricket.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Hi Peggy. (I’m going to try and remember to call you Peggy from now on). I will sign all my posts (if I can only remember to do so) as Fred from now on. That will make it easier for me, too. I already call John, Kaeleigh, Steve, Gunnar, Ed, Nancy, Angela and Dave by their real names, so I’m almost there.

Incidentally, I’ve known a couple of people over the years that had a first name of Margaret and were nick-named “Peggy”. I have no idea where anyone gets this tradition but it’s cool.

Fred.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Peggy I mean Cricket , I have pretty much just lived from pay check to pay check all my life , I never had anything for folks to steal , So I have never used a name that’s not mine , I don’t have credit at this point in my life , I only deal in cash and carry , So bad people can’t hurt my credit , cause I deliberately don’t have any , since I retired 7 years ago , people on a fixed income can’t afford to have credit anyways , So you can call me anything you want to except late for supper , I am Steve Srader and will be even after I am dead if they keep records and I have a grave stone with my name on it ! Or as long as I have a picture in a frame with love ones !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh…you guys can call me Cricket…that’s fine…lol.  I’m just saying I do sometimes get people confused with all the creative handles, etc., so forgive me if I sometimes don’t get people straight, except the brave ones who put their names out there.  They can steal your social security number, etc., Steve…so…it can be dangerous if you’re on sites that have your name and where you live and your birthday, etc.  I always put a different birthday at least, if I’m required to put all of that on a site.

My name is not really Margaret…my grandmother’s name was Nellie Margaret, and they called her Margaret… seems everybody on that side of the family had a bunch of names but were called by something else. ..we just called her “Maw,” because we also had a Mammaw…her mom, still living when we were growing up, etc.  I used to like Russian novels, when I discovered them in college…and wow…the names…they are all bizarre, like with our Margaret, becomes Meg, becomes Maggie, becomes Mae, becomes…what, Peggy????  Or Richard becomes Rich, becomes Ricky, becomes Dick…etc.  We’ve got some names like that, but read a Russian novel…it’s worse than a message forum…you have to keep thumbing backwards through the pages to figure out who they are talking about once you get to page 1,224, and this person suddenly has this other, illogical, unrelated name…lol.  But they just named me Peggy because that way I was sorta named after Nellie, who was called by the public at large, Margaret, etc.  But, yeah…I don’t mind being called anything…whatever…Cricket, Groundhog, Groundhog Peggy, just Peggy…Hey You…etc.  Long as it stays family friendly…lol.  I’m just saying forgive me that I do get people confused…and a little name at the bottom of the post, or even just a little icon makes me not get people confused.  I don’t necessarily need to know everybody’s real name, just wanna keep them straight in my poor ol worn out head, so I don’t confuse peope with other people. I think there are a couple of other Peggy’s on here too…so that might get confusing if I’m not cricket.  I don’t mind being Cricket. Where I worked and retired from at the University Library up here where we live…there was another Peggy in the same department…so, for 20 years that I worked there, I was always called “The OTHER Peggy,” lol, since she was there first and got dibs on the name.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by cricket cricket.
    Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I’ve so far only used my real name for stuff (except signing into the French airport wifi) but that’s just two forums and a YouTube channel. I have four names though, instead of the usual three, so I’ve got some options, and since Nathanael is one of those derivative names, I could be Nathan, Nate, Nat, Than, or even Nael. And nobody believes that my second middle name is actually Dragonslayer, but it is. So I’ve thought of starting to carry an ID around to prove it ?? Oh well, I’ll get a DL some day. And everyone spells my first name wrong (ok not everyone, but most people) cuz it’s the Norwegian spelling ?? anyway… but I’ve never met anyone with my name, so that’s convenient

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Okay. Rather than call you the “Other Peggy”, I’ll return to calling you “Cricket”. lol. Fred.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Fortunately Steve, Gunnar, and myself along with many others put our name, or the name we should be called under our picture….so we don’t have to sign each post with our handle….seems a lot easier…so I assume that’s what you want to be called also Cricket, since that’s the name under your picture also….

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

You can try this:

1) Hover over your name in the upper right of the black strip, where it says “Howdy, [Your Name]”.

2) You should then be able to click “Edit My Profile.”

3) In your profile, you should be able to change your “Nickname” to anything you want.

4) Just below the “Nickname” field, select the drop-down box to the right of “Display name publicly as” and choose your new nickname.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks for that “lesson,” I guess it is, John. I hope everybody understands what I’m bumbling around here trying to say…well I’ve been on a few message boards and some people call themselves something like jumpin’ jacks orange peel or whatever…that’s cool, but then another person is something like oranges and plum jumping jacks…so then my poor ol’ brain gets people confused. I was calling a guy Mark the other day on a forum I was on and then realized his name was…. well it wasn’t Mark…lol…I just got so confused. REally the picture helps me get the people straight…I don’t care what we all call ourselves, but I just hate to have everybody confused and not remember which person said what the last time around…then I sound crazy with my responses…and, I don’t need much help sounding crazy.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Why does this post have Cricket’s name and picture but is signed John?

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hi everyone, I had to do a restore to late last night, so if you made name changes after that they may have reverted to the old name. Please check to see! John

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

LOL That’s hilarious… I had just restored one of Cricket’s replies and then I accidentally posted my response while in restore mode and it came up as Cricket. I didn’t know I could do that! Sorry, Cricket! I have fixed and deleted. Thanks for noticing, Gunnar!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

😂😂👍

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.