Nearer my god to thee

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Heather Weems
    Heather Weems
    Participant

Nearer my god to thee. I would really love a breakdown of this one. Thank you.

ljrock
    ljrock
    Participant

Can you tell me what you are looking for…………..notes, rhythm, etc? Do you read music? I believe I can help, just need to know a few more details of what you are looking for.

Joe
    Participant

Be nice to have some fiddle notes for it, speaking for myself. I am always on the lookout for gospel fiddle music. Lots of it in piano form ( church hymnals )  but I never got the hang of reading piano music.

ljrock
    ljrock
    Participant

Piano notes, or better said, the piano notes in the melody line( or top line) would be the same for violin. As long at the music is written  as a hymn for congregational singing, the notes in the soprano, or melody, would be just fine for violin.  A good key to play in would be G, with one sharp#. I have seen it on the internet in the key of F, which is one flat “b”.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That is a beautiful one! It is near the top of my gospel request list.

Heather Weems
    Heather Weems
    Participant

I can read music, I play several instruments and I’d love the sheet music for this one.  I’m still beginning and I can double stop but haven’t made it up the neck yet.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I love your profile pic. Girl with banjo, kissed by goat. It is perfect for this site. 🙂

This will be the next gospel tune I teach.

Heather Weems
    Heather Weems
    Participant

The goats name is in fact banjo.  He has a brother named Woodstock I’m working with.  I have a mandolin too (instrument not goat)   But the banjo and fiddle are my faves.  Thank you for this site and your help.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Do you think it’s true, or just a folk legend, that the band was playing this when the Titanic was going down?  I like to think it’s true…

Posted this a while back.  The audio is just camera audio and too far from the 2nd violin…but, anyway…I do have the music for this, but the obliggato takes some work to get…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

It’s a very nice rendition, Rodger.  It would be a good thing for the musicians to have been playing on the Titanic…horrible thing to think of, but it would have been a priceless spiritual gift from the musicians to their fellow passengers.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Joe, I guarantee it would be tough to play anything on a fiddle… with the ship sinking.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I think itd be hard to gather your wits enough to flatout play anything at all with the ship hopelessly sinking.  I heard one survivor interviewed once who said he could not go to sports events or anything with people voices yelling out…it brought back horrible memories of those begging to get onto lifeboats, etc., and knowing you were helpless to do anything for them.  My old friend who grew up in Auschwitz as a child, being experimented on awake and painfully made sick, also starving and freezing as a child, faced with death all around her everyday, ripped away from her family, who all died there, she would later find out…anyway, she couldn’t go to sports events, etc., either…just the trauma of hearing crowds, even if they’re cheering.  But, I think, and I don’t know, fortunately for me, but I think about such a terrible situation, where you are stuck between going with your will to survive, or accepting that you and most others probably won’t…as a person who turns to music for comfort and healing, even for meaning and purpose to my own life, I think maybe I would feel like turning to playing to deal with my own feelings…and if it helped others, it would be a very happy thing for me to know I could at least do something. Ain’t a good situation to imagine, and who knows, maybe I’d just freak out and panic and try to float on my fiddle…hard to know, but the ability to step up to hardships is usually stronger inside us than we can realize unless we are actually challenged.  We don’t want that…tough stuff to think about.  I do think music is a powerful healing force.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That’s beautiful, Rodger. It is one of my favorite songs.

The band aboard the Titanic certainly was nearer to God. I think it is likely that they played the hymn, but probably with a different tune than the “Bethany” melody that we now play. Six years before the Titanic sunk, the femal passengers aboard the SS Valencia sang it as they went down in Vancouver’s worst maritime disaster.

All of the women and children aboard the Valencia died, because they had been tied to the rigging to keep them above the waves. The last group of survivors watched them face death as the ship broke up, forever haunted by “the brave faces looking at them over the broken rail of a wreck and of the echo of that great hymn sung by the women who, looking death smilingly in the face, were able in the fog and mist and flying spray to remember: Nearer, My God, to Thee.”

Heather Weems
    Heather Weems
    Participant

It’s a great hymn all around.  I am actually an RN.  I work for DHS with people with challenges and the elderly, dying, and forgotten I also work in the ER.  Sometimes I put old hymns on like this justbto forget.  It’s oddly comforting.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Heather, thanks for being an RN. You are doing a great work. Cricket, you are correct — it’s getting tougher by the day down there!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in