Need a practice routine

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum Need a practice routine

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by goettjp goettjp 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jerome Linyear
    Jerome Linyear
    Participant

Hey yall,

So as a beginner, I am in desperate need of a good practice routine. I have decided to commit at least two hours to my fiddle every single day when possible. But Im frustrated because I dont really have any structure when it comes to practicing. I start of practicing my bowing technique and double stops then practice scales and then try a song. But I don’t know if that is a well-structured routine. Any Ideas?

Eddie
    Participant

Jerome,

if you can devote two hours a day to practicing you should do pretty good.

bowing and double stop practice is awesome.

How long have you been playing the violin? Have you played any other instrument?

Jerome Linyear
    Jerome Linyear
    Participant

Well I’d like to say 4 months but they don’t really count because I wasn’t really on top of my practice so i’m gonna go ahead and set the stopwatch for three days ago. I have played the guitar for two years and am decent at it.

Angela
    Participant

Jerome,

Welcome to fiddling and to BGD!  Hope you love it here as much as I do!

Using John’s videos here as your structure should help a lot.  He has several beginner type videos related to bowing, double stops, scales, etc….

Then, pick a song you really like and work through his video on that.

Also…regarding scales….the pentatonic scales in G, A and D will take you a long way on the fiddle.

So, here’s a suggestion….for 10 or 15 minutes, just work on your bow….use open strings and do long, short, short….long, short, short….make sure the bow is straight up and down.

Then, work on a G scale; then a G pentatonic scale for about a half hour…..

Then, work on your song.

The joy comes in the songs, though, so get you a good song down and have fun with it!!!!

My suggestion is Boil Them Cabbage for a good starter.

Jerome Linyear
    Jerome Linyear
    Participant

Thank you Angela! I will definitely give that a try during my session tomorrow.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

The only addition I’d make to what Angela said is to practice the scales that relate to the tune you will be working on…

So, if you will be working on Boil them cabbage down, prepare by going through the A scales. This will help with intonation on the new tune.

have fun!

Dave

Angela
    Participant

Good catch Dave. I agree!!

Angela
    Participant

And be patient with yourself. Fiddle is hard to learn. The bow sometimes has a mind of its own and no frets on the neck means finding the notes can be tricky. But it’s addictive and fun!!

goettjp
    goettjp
    Participant

I would say, as you add songs to your practice list, try to get one from different keys.   ie, don’t learn a bunch of songs in “D”.   Learn one in A, one in G, one in D,  even C & F.  Then go crazy and learn one in Bb.

That will get your fingers muscle-memorizing where they need to go in different scenarios.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.