Need of opinions…

This topic contains 42 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 9 months ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

…don’t worry, I rarely follow advice or any of that…I’m seriously thinking t9 buy myself a cheap Chinese cello…I absolutely love my cheap Chinese viola…messin around with old time viola is about the same as fiddle…if you can play the fiddle…stretch a little more, tug that bow a little harder, and voila…you can also play the viola!  But…cello…I love the sound…and I’m really wanting to try my hand at old time cello ( I wouldn’t be the first)…but…it’s not like violin or viola…it’s all different…you can’t just use the same way of fingering,,,it’s too spread out on that big neck, so you have to resort to lots of tricks and such…so…there would be a learning curve…and…I have no time to play what instruments I’ve got sitting here looking at me, let alone one with a big learning curve for me to tackle.  Besides that, the doggone things are huge…how does a pers9n store a cello?  I recently sold off extra guitars, and bought a stand to hold the rest and the good banjo.  The cheap banjo is still in the case.  The fiddles and viola hang on the wall, and the other instr7ments are stuffed into a big laundry basket…now…where do you put a cello?  On top of that…it’s expensive…well, the cheap Chinese cellos aren’t so bad, but strings, bows, bridges, soundpost…or if you had to pay a luthier…or even find one…the upkeep is expensive…I mean…I have to keep two banjos, two dulcimer, the fiddles and viola, and guitars, etc., in strings, bridges or other necessities…adding a cello’s expenses on top could send me over the edge.  But, but, but…I can’t stop thinking about how much I want to play one, or try to learn if I can…they’ve always been too pricey to risk spending hundreds or thousands to even entertain the thought…but thanks to Chinese craftsmen…it’s now within my financial reach to seriously think about.  I’m not getting an6 younger…mid sixties…if I wanna play one…I need to do it…or else just try to forget it, which is hard to do, obviously, because I can’t seem to forget…not really asking for advice, but,,,well…what would you do????🤔

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I’m not attempting to give advice Cricket…just sharing some info.

In an orchestra, or chamber music, duet playing, etc. the violin is usually/primarily the main – melody lead instrument. The 2nd violin has some basic chord type backup parts, but mainly harmony along with what might be called the counter melody  The viola uses more chordal backup stuff with lots of harmony & counter melody parts.  I use the word chord, I don’t mean they are playing double stops or such, but a single note that is a primary note of the chord.  Then when you get into the cello & even larger stringed instruments, their job is primarily a deep bass chordal type backup, with just short runs of   backup harmonizing with the chord.  Everything below the 1st violin will sometimes have long runs of only one or two deep bass notes providing a background for the melody, and the bigger the instrument the more so.  Of course there are some players that play solo pieces on the cello, and they are wonderful, but it seems to be rare.  A lot of these are background mood music for a movie or such, where it is not really what the observer is focusing on.

I don’t have a clue what it would be like to take a cello and play melodys solo, such as fiddle melodys, or other song melodys.  I don’t know if you would get kind of tired of that after a while..or…??  Of course you would use it to play backings on multitrack recordings, but even that..in time..I’m not sure how it would hold it’s appeal for me.  But I agree with you…if cost, etc. were not an issue, I’m pretty sure I’d have one to find out.  I know there are not many, real world class cello soloist’s…there must be a good reason why that is…so there’s probably a lot I’m missing in understanding.  I do know that in an orchestra they are amazing and greatly valued for the part they do in providing the background for the other instruments.  Orange Blossom Special on the cello?? Well, I guess there’s a first for everything?  Might as well be Cricket, huh?

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

The only thing I know is the strings are expensive , good luck on whatever you decide !

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I would never presume to advise you on this. You have a good grasp on all the relative aspects I could think of.

It comes down to a choice, and you’re the only one who can balance your wants & needs in a realistic manner.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I appreciate every word, guys…just trying to weigh what I want vs what I need…lol.  Especially tempting when there are decent cheap Chinese instruments out there these days.  Rodger, I do think cellists have a high burn out rate…I think it’s tiring on your hands and from what I hear ( which might not be accurate info), as they ge5 older, their hands might not hold up to the demands…whereas fiddlers and violinists can keep going pretty strong.  Well I’m almost old…not old enough for social security or Medicare…lol…but getting close…old enough for senior discounts…lol.  Anyway…now there is a complicating factor…Buttons has injured his leg…it seems bad enough that I think we’re gonna need to go to the vet, and you never know how much that’s gonna once they get finished.  The bad thing about Chihuahuas is that the world is a huge place for them, and you just can’t get them to stop jumping off tall buildings, or furniture that amounts to tall buildings in their case.  We’ve tried to make concessions for them but w3 sometimes get injuries anyway…our vet told us by the time Chihuahuas get it, they’re usually older and having chronic pains from all the earlier years when they just didn’t get it.  So…w3 need to see about getting buttons whatever he needs, but gotta wait for the storm…everything is sprawling here so you gotta drive all over to ge5 anywhere…once we get him straightened out, I’ll be back to think8ng about this cello idea…if I get it, struggle through learning to play it, then wind up with old hurting hands…lol…that ain’t gonna be a good thing.  Really, one of those bowed dulcimer made by a luthier in North Carolina would be better, easier to play and not as demanding, not as big…but cost several times mor3 and you hav3 to wait for the luthier to get your order done, etc.  The cheap Chinese cello…I could have one delivered in just a couple of days.  But…where do people put them?.

Angela
    Participant

Maybe rent one and see if you like it. Rentals are pretty cheap.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Angela…I’ve never looked 8nto that…not sure I’d know where to rent one from, but I migh5 check and see about that idea.  There’s also the factor that having a cello could make a person go crazy after practicing day in and out for hours and hours and years and decades…I mean, look what happened to this poor feller…

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I suspect his problems are more complicated than playing the cello…just a guess of course..

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

LOL you sure your not related , It took some talent for him to do that , and maybe He’s Cajun ?

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

The cello seems like another important step on your life’s musical journey. Send for it today 🙂

Angela
    Participant

You’ll have 2 or 3 music stores up there that rent school instruments. They’re usually about $30 a month.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well I’m not sure about that guy in the video…I’ve seen numerous youtubes,..A, I believe he’s kinda crazy…lol…B, I have to confess his videos grab my attention…I just can’t look away for a plot second…this guy is what I would call a creative musical genius.  If you watch each split second…every bit of silence, every infinitesimal move of a finger, or bow…this guy is a genius…stable or not…lol…(sorry…didn’t mean to get political with it, but I couldn’t resist)…I truly believe this rushed eggleston is a musical genius…if you see any youtubes with him involved…I’d watch…it’s amazing…he’s cello’s Tommy Emmanuel.  I notice he has what I call clothing curse…where you can only dress according to your personal uniform…I’ve known several people in my life who can’t dress as they are expected…I’m in the same boat…although I’m the only girl I’ve known…it’s usually a curse guys are prone to.  It’s worse for a female, let me tell you…my whole life I battled with being inappropriately dressed for whateveroccasion…my personality uniform is old ragged blue ( never another color)  jeans, old t shirts or worn flannel or just some kind of tattered old cotton only shirt…hiking boots or sandals…I don’t care where I go…I can’t dress differently…seems people are more forgiving to a guy with a clothing curse than a woman…but…well now I don’t work and don’t go to church and have few social expectations…so it’s easier…lol.  I knew an art teacher in a college…a guy…who could only wear kackie shorts and torn t shirts…he never could be taken serious at meetings, etc.  I knew a philosophy Prof the same way…he could only wear old overalls and t shirt, brought his hound dog to class and smoked stinky cigars constantly…again, head of the department but people wouldn’t respect him or take him seriously…it’s a weird thing.  Anyway, this rushed eggleston guy definitely has a clown suit clothing curse…lol.  I guess it’s not such a terrible thing if you’re a musician…I’m assuming he is a professional musician.  But besides all that nutty observational autobiographical soliloquizing and nonsensical musings over my inability to dress as society would like…the cello is still bugging my mind…Buttons still has a hurting leg…we are stuck at home in a winter storm…and I’m thinking at some point I will probably hop onto Amazon and xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.  Yep.  I won’t say it, but I’m thinking I’m heading in that direction.  Of course, the guitarist, Tommy Emmanuel comes to ky on a regular basis, and my friend, John, who spent so many of our young years playing guitars together with me…John lives in Louisville now, where the ky thumbpickers club is…Tommy goes there and gives workshops a5 least once a year…John goes and tells me at some point even the best pickers lay down their guitars and have second thoughts about whether they should even p,say the doggone thing at all…lol.  And with cello being as difficult as the rumors I’ve heard…and with this guy in the video I linked, who seems to have not only thought outside the cello box, but tore it up and set it on fire…I’m sure I nee+to allow for a huge amount of discouragement if I get one and timidly attempt to teach myself to just make the basics usable for my humble needs…lol…still…yes, I want one.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I first starting wishing for a cello back working on Annie’s opera music, which I knew I couldn’t have used even if I had one.  It’s still messed with my mind, post opera, here and there…and then, we’ll…YouTube always enlightens me with new ideas.  This Rushad Eggelston guy…yes, he is for sure crazy, but I honestly think what made him that way was he saw into the soul of perfect fifths and such, cello soul..,string soul.  And I realize I’m very late getting to music in my life, besides just picking guitar or banjo and sing8ng with friends…but…I’m not into all these styles of music, but the soul underneath…the soul of the cello and of perfect fifths and resonating strings…this guy has been totally invaded by that…it shows, and I can’t help but love his understanding of the cello…although, if I get one, I’ll feel lucky if I can even play a reasonable scale…lol…still…I’m drawn to the spirit of it all.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

And now…after participation in a small birthday gathering for someone…for me, it’s back to Purcell…how I wish this crazy, clown clothed cell genius guy could come over here and whiz right through that Purcell stuff for us in about 2 seconds, applying his insanely genius mind…but, alas…lol…I gotta struggle through and slowly agonize in whatever trickery I can muster up to slowly, painfully get Purcell-sounding stuff recorded for her…lol…ouch…need coffee.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CRICKET!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I’ll say one thing Cricket, in that last one he wins the all time ‘Hat’ award.  But …. what was that he said??

Oh yea, I read where Nostradamus new years predictions has a date soon for Cricket posting her first cello tune…Is Mike ready to join the band yet Cricket?  And after looking at that maybe it would be safe to do some research on the side effects of playing a cello?

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I did not know its your Birthday , So Happy Birthday !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

We’ll thanks, guys, but it’s not my birthday…somebody else’s.  But I’ll remember next October that y’all wished my burthda6 to be a happy one. Rodger…he’s definitely got th3 hats…weird, crazy.  I’m tell8ng you…he must’ve gone nuts from studying so much music. I read that he also makes up stories and words…he’s a doctor suess, Tommy Emmanuel cello sort of person.  It’s pretty extreme…but I’m fascinated with it….lol.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Ok, well one more.  Have I lost my mind…lol?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’ll be the first to admit The Possum’s Tail is Bare does make more sense…

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

At least he doesn’t have the camera red light fright…

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

He seems perfectly normal to me!!  Happy birthday next Oct.  🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Rock, I’ll make a note of that…lol.  Well, I think I’m leaning away from getting a cello at this point…realistically looking at my practice time…I have a houseful of dormant instruments I don’t have time to practice on, and lucky to get played one day a week…the cello would require some time spent with it…it wouldn’t make sense to buy one right at this point.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Cricket; Shar Music has cellos for rent on their site. 1-800-248-7427

They offer a Franz Hoffmann student cello outfit including Brazilwood bow, rosin and cello bag for $48.99 per month. No endless payments, no annual contract, return anytime. For around $50.00 you could try one for a month and see if you like it.

There may be conditions that apply. I’m not sure. I’ve never rented one. I love the sound of a cello, though.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh, thanks…if I change my mind in that direction I’ll check that out.  At this point, I’m still thinking more and more, no, to the cello.  I love the sound too, but I love the sound of a good fiddle…I’ve got three lonely fiddles sitting around here, and I’m not hearing the sounds of a good fiddle yet…lol…in other words…I need to learn to play what I’ve got better…I need to make some time for practicing.  I think the cello is gonna have to wait.  I’ll re-think the cello idea at a later time.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by cricket cricket.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Already re-thinking…lol.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Happy Birthday! When I first saw this post, I thought it said “need of onions.”

I have a cello that is on loan from someone with too many cellos, and it is really fun to play. Not a traditional folk instrument, but it would certainly get you noticed in a jam! I think it would add to your recordings as well.

Everyone here has given great advice. I can only add: follow your heart!

Here is a video of the first time I saw Rashad. It may help you make up your mind to see the cello in a band context.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Looks like you can get a ton of rhythm outta one of those things.  I keep going back and forth…waste of money, no time to learn/ you can get cheap Chinese cellos now and maybe I could make time to learn…where do people put them?  Anybody know that?  I’m seriously afraid there’s no spot in our tiny house where a cello could fit…maybe it could live on the bed during the daytime…then at night it would have to sit out in the middle of the floor…lol…anyway…I go back and forth.  Something tells me it’s not sensible…something else tells me just get one and don’t worry about it…I rarely do anything not sensible, except on the roller rink…lol…so why not.  I keep going back and forth…  anyway, to clarify…it wasn’t my birthday…had to go to somebody else’s party…my birthdays not until October, at which point I’ll hav3 to get involved with all that awful old people Medicare stuff…ugh…it’s complicated…I’d love it if we just had universal health care that automatically came from a tax…no premiums, no deductibles, no co-pays, no long lists of doctors, procedures, drugs, generics, no brainer …blah, blah, blah…I don’t go to doctors anyway, but it’s be crazy to not have the proper financial arrangements 8n place in case you had to go.  Anyway…I’ll remember in October when I turn old the very early birthday wishes…lol.  In the meantime, with what remnants of youth I may have remaining…I’ll keep grappling with my cello GAS!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Yep,  he is perfectly normal, rasional, lucid, sane, a regular guy!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

A regular rolling stone of a guy…

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

I think he rocks! 😀

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Uh-0h…

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Every time you put up a video of him he just gets better

Angela
    Participant

I say forget the cello and just get the outfit!  :^D

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

especially the hat

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That is actually a very cool hat.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I have faithfully worn my own tattered hiking-looking brand outfit for many years …maybe I’d be more successful in the world wearing clown clothes…lol.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Cricket,  you know John is afraid of clowns!

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

if you want a cello . . . get a cello.  And the hat.  Anytime  I see something or think of something I want. . . I wait a few days and if it is still on my mind then I know I want it and its not just a spur of the moment impulse buy.  Life is too short not to indulge in the accessible , decent pleasures of life. I told myself I would get a fiddle when I retired because then I would have time to devote to learning. then a few friends passed away and I realized I might not live to retire. . .so I bought the fiddle. Soooo glad I didn’t wait. I am already years behind in learning I can’t imagine if I had waited. So take that vacation,  eat that piece of cake, buy the cello AND the hat and live and enjoy

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Cricket, you could do something like this…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in