Need some advice on rosining

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things Need some advice on rosining

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Great ScottGreat Scott

Hi,
    I was hoping a few members could share their knowledge and experience regarding rosining. I realize the more you play, the more you rosin, but I was just wondering how much rosin is TOO much. And by too much, I mean ‘over-rosining’. I am sure I am not the only person who has wondered about the ‘Rosin’ thing! I guess my questions are:

– How do you know when you have too much rosin on the bow?
    – To what degree would too much rosin affect the sound quality?
    – Could over-rosining damage the bow hair or the strings?

The reason I am asking, is because I have a new carbon fiber bow, and I want to take good care of it and not damage it by over-rosining. I would really appreciate some feed-back. Thanks for reading.

Scott

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hi Scott, I tend to over-rosin my bow. Too much rosin on the bow can make it grip too much and become scratchy. You really want just enough to keep it from “slipping.” Also, I tend to create a permanent white cloud of rosin on the top of my fiddle. Don’t do that! You should clear away the rosin every time you put the fiddle away. Also, don’t ever touch the hairs with your fingers. This will make them greasy and slippy, and you will have to compensate by over-rosining the bow!

Great ScottGreat Scott

Hi John. Thanks for the rosin tips! Yes, I noticed the ‘white cloud’ on your fingerboard. I think it looks cool!…Rather like a ‘highlight’! Who said we can’t have black and white fingerboards on fiddles? 🙂

Scott

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Haha you are very kind. But in this case, I have to add, “Do as I say, not as I do!” lol. I am pretty self-conscious about it my fiddle top. Maybe I’ll spend some time this evening and get it cleaned up!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.