New Bow

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by MoonShadows MoonShadows 2 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

I’m sure this has been asked before.

Anyone have suggestions on a newer bow. I have two carbon fiber one’s. One I’ve had for quite a while, but I’m looking for an even better bow.

What do some of you have?

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I have a fiddlerman CF that works well for me, but I’ve never played any better bows so I don’t know what it lacks

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I have one carbon fiber bow that I hardly ever use. It’s a nice one but I prefer the old pernambuco octagon bows from years gone by. My favorite bow is my Tourte. My next favorite is my Weichold pernambuco. I’m really stuck right there using just these two bows exclusively. I have quite a few other bows but I never use them because I like the weight of the two I always use. I even have a 1947 Heddon/Gibson aluminum bow in beautiful shape than I came across years ago and used to use but have long since just left in the case.

I know a good friend who buys lots of bows on EBay and fixes them all up and resells them. I’ve bought a lot of fiddles just to get the bows that were in the cases. Keep an eye out for good bows paired with junk fiddles. If Larry B is on here, he’ll help you find the right bow. 🙂

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

My Fiddlerman Concert Violin came with a CF bow which I like. Recently, during a sale, I bought a Holstein 1-star Pernambuco Violin Bow from Fiddlerman. To me the feel is better and I notice an improvement in sound. Like violins, price range usually dictates quality of a bow which equates to better sound. In fact, I was just reading a thread on the Fiddlerman forum today where he was talking about how more money buys better quality and workmanship. There is no escaping this fact when dealing with a reputable craftsman. Don’t hesitate to contact Fiddlerman. His staff is extremely helpful and trustworthy.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

I’d love to get one of those but way out of my price range. I don’t really like CF bow too much. I have two differnt one’s. One I bought long ago that has about seen it’s last days and one that came with my other fiddle. Which is just ok

But I had looked at this one just now. May get it.

https://fiddlershop.com/collections/wood-violin-bows/products/holstein-yellow-sandalwood-violin-bow

I’d for sure want a wood bow maybe a bit cheaper than the one you have. I could go over a little over $100.00 for one.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by JBounds JBounds.
    MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Looks like a nice bow, John, and it comes with a 1 year replacement guarantee as well.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Yeah I like that it has that 1 year warranty. I will definitely be getting it soon.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Well I bought that bow and thought I’d also try this rosin  https://fiddlershop.com/products/sartory-rosin

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Congrats on the new bow!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I hope you like your new bow and new rosin!

Edmo45
    Edmo45
    Participant

You can’t go wrong, with any of the Fiddlerman Products, and they guarantee everything, they sell.

Like Fred, I prefer Pernambuco Bows over the Carbon Fiber ones. I did play with a Carbon Fiber Bow, for about a year, and liked it…but got an opportunity to try out, a Pernambuco Bow, and could immediately tell the improvement, in Tone. So, that is the only kind of Bow, I play with, now…

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

I got a carbon fiber Coda Bow about a year ago and I love it.  It just has a smooth easy stroke.  I had a fiddlerman bow and it was OK. I think I must have gotten a defective fiddlerman bow because the little metal piece by my thumb kept slipping slightly around the bow. Not much, but it could be annoying. I just never took the time to ship it back. I fell in love with my Coda Bow from day one. I have heard that a wooden bow projects more sound than the carbon fiber. I have another carbon fiber bow that came with a violin I bought several years ago. I call it “Dang Bow” because I didn’t like it, but my violin teacher insisted it was a good bow and I should use it, So I would play a few tunes, then tell her I still didn’t like it until she finally got fed up and yelled at me to “just play the dang bow! ! ! ”  lol  I think bow choice is highly personal. . . each one has a different like and feel according to ones play. I tend to be heavy handed and like a heavier weighted bow. Lighter bows for me tend to just move too much from left to right instead of up and down.  Well, not that I know much, but those are my thoughts. And I still occasionally play with “Dang Bow”.  It’s not such a bad bow.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

That’s a funny story about your Dang bow, Fran 😂😂😂

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Good story, Fran. I tend to have a heavy hand, too, and like you, I tend to move left and right when bowing. What Codabow do you own?

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I just played a Dorfler bow last night that a friend of mine had received with an old cheap fiddle. The bow sells for $210.00 new and it’s actually an octagon (might be pernambuco?) bow. I thought it had a good sound to it. It’s the first Dorfler bow I’ve ever used. It’s probably not pernambuco with it being so inexpensive but it still looks like it and sounds pretty good for a low-priced bow.

Kaeleigh
    Kaeleigh
    Participant

I have no idea what kind of bow I have, except that it’s carbon fiber and the local violin maker could sell it to me in a hurry when I broke my other one.

It was under a hundred and I’ve never thought of getting anything else, which is probably a good sign 😊

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Fred, that’s probably brazilwood, I’ve heard it’s a good bow material for a good price, and it looks like pernambuco cuz it comes from the same tree

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Good point, Gunnar. Cheaper part of the tree.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

So far so good. But one thing I hate is when you get a new bow is to get it right like you want it. Rosined up, tight but not too tight, etc.

And get the rosin to give you some rosin right off. Have to scrape it a little at first.  But the rosin is good though.

But I like it way better than my carbon fiber bow.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by JBounds JBounds.
    Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

John, I carry some sand paper in my fiddle case and each time that I rosin any of my bows I always scrape the rosin with the sand paper.

The first thing I do is take a tooth brush and carefully work it into the hair and brush from the tip to the frog. This breaks up the caked on rosin. When a bow moves along the hair, it creates heat. For a very small fraction of a second the heat is very hot and actually melts a small portion of the rosin. This, over time cakes into the hair. Breaking it up with a tooth brush works wonders before re-rosining.

While rosining the bow I will often reapply the sand paper and repeat the steps. After I have enough rosin applied, I then take a tooth brush and comb the hair with the tooth brush in a motion from the tip to the frog. This applies the rosin down into the hair.

This method may not work for you but I love the sound I get from using this method.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Thanks for the tips Fred. I appreciate that. I will do that.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

John, I added a bit more info to my earlier post.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Good tips, Fred. I also clean my strings every few days. I found a great little string cleaner at Fiddlershop called “The String Cleaner”. It does a good job. https://fiddlershop.com/products/the-string-cleaner

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by MoonShadows MoonShadows.
    Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks, Jim. I’ll look into that.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

They have their own website, too, but they actually charge $5 more than the Fiddlerman for this product. http://thestringcleaner.com/buy-now

BTW…it can also be cleaned of excess rosin that collects on the string cleaner.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.