New projects on the horizon, possibly, if I can control myself!

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? New projects on the horizon, possibly, if I can control myself!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hey guys…first off, I gotta say, my tailpiece on my old trash can fiddle (somebody in town found it in a trash can several years ago, kept it propped up by her fireplace — agggghhhhhh=== for years as a decoration, then, her living solely on disability and such, back several years ago when the governmnet shut down that one time…can’t remember when, some of her stuff got cut off and she finally sold it to me, which I had been begging for for years before that time…took it to a luthier who charged me quite a bit to glue it together again, as seams were really coming apart, bigtime, and cut a bridge, put in a soundpost, put strings on there….I think that’s all) was cracking and about to give way…we ordered a new tailpiece and didn’t have time until the other day…Mike put that thing on for me while I had panic attacks and drove him batty while nervously watching…but he got it on there and it plays really nice…keeps dropping by a half step, but I’m figuring the tailpiece is settling in (I hope…lol).  So we looked that fiddle up…Carlo Alberi I think it was…I thought I’d looked it up when I first got it, but can’t remember now…anyway, what we were able to find online was that they were German made but put an Italian-sounding name on them and imported by a New York company and across the U.S. between 1900 and 1920.  I don’t remember reading all of that before.  It sounds impressive to me at this point…like…why should I deserve such an interesting instrument????  But happy to have it.  Mike had replaced the tuners a while back with the geared ones…I hovered over panicking that time too, but they are great to have onthere.

This has nothing to do with my new projects, just my usual way of boring people to death at any opportunity.  Anyway, for the past 3 years or so, I’ve played all the time on that daggone Presonus, making youtubes of everything I could think of.  Never playing otherwise, except when I made youtubes of my multiple track recordings.  That’s just so fun to me and I just don’t get out because I seem to have no connections or whatever.  Nothing around here that’s worked for me to get out of the house and do stuff with other folks much…no similar interests.  But anyway, I’m at this impasse, I think, where I feel like I need to stop and look around.  I had intended, a long time ago, to save the tracks that backup the fiddle or banjo or whatever and put them into a separate playlist so I could sit by the computer sometimes and click on the playlist and just jam along the way I like to play them.  But, for whatever reason, I didn’t do that hardly at all and now just recently started, during the process, learning, as Steve has noted, that making a jam track involves not only allowing time to get ready to play along, but also, one thing I’ve jnst done terrible at, making the track so that a person isn’t just entirely lost in the track.  I mean, these are my OWN tracks, and sometimes I can’t tell what in the world the track is doing when I have sat down a time or two here recently and attempted to play along.

So…I’m figuring…wake up, are you still with me?  If so, you must have too much time on your hands…lol…but I’m figuring I need to go back to some of those early tunes I did like 3 years ago…go back and make new tracks (I’ve either lost them or deleted them by now…had a computer crash somehwere in there, etc.) for all those early things I put on there…that I’d love to sit down and play in various keys, at a slow pace…for me…I like to just jam along slowly in a “state of strum,” so to speak, and get down inside the tune and just experiment with my own ways of doing things.  Well, whatever…anyway, just go back…like…I’d love to sit down and play along and sing along with Lazy John or Wild Hog in the Woods, or some of that stuff.  That’s another issue…if I sing on the jam track, then it ain’t no fun to sing while jamming along…but if I don’t sing…it’s too easy to get lost and the track gets confusing to use.

Anyway…I’m rambling on.  Speaking of which, I’d even thought to make a youtube with me talking (except I”m so unphotogenic that I can’t think or talk with a camera rolling…lol) about what I’m gonna try to start doing, just in case my followers (maybe 3 lonely people somewhere…lol) get confused as to what in the world is going on.  Then, I realize it’s better to put the jam tracks into separate playlists by key…otherwise, for me at least it’s a pain to hurry and tune right when each track starts up.  This might not be a good project…could possibly drive me crazy or something.

I also would like to get back to learning more tunes…I think it’s time to get back to that.  this all depends on if the Presonus will leave me alone long enough for me to concentrate on other goals and projects instead of just recording one tune after another…which seems to just be a debilitating habit to get into…takes over your life and all your free time.

On top of that, my hydroponic plants I started this year keep getting their nutrient solution diluted by recurring storms…I gotta deal with that…lol…which has nothing to do with anything, but…well sometimes it’s hard to choose between the plants and the presonus tracks. That’s it…I’m done yakkin’…if you’re still with me…time to get up and get something done!

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by cricket cricket.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket you need to show and tell the new old fiddle and play us a live video with it , I would love to see it !

Good luck with the gardening !

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Cricket, you must be able to type 70 or 80 words a minute to go like you do. Hardly ever a mistake. (I love it when you break your paragraphs up shorter….makes ‘um easier for me not to lose my place. lol.)

I hope you’re able to do everything you plan on doing with a minimum of interruptions. I also hope it has a lot to do with fiddle music. ?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

lol..speed typing…with chihuahuas jumpin’ up and down on me all the time to boot!  Mike says I write way too much stuff on the forum.

Well anyway, I’m thinking to just hold off on all presonus activity from Memorial Day through Labor Day…why? you might ask…I don’t know, it’s just another looooooooonnnnggg story.  But do I feel confused?  Possibly…or probably, maybe, but I’m not sure.

Sometimes I just feel like scrapping the whole youtube channel…lol…selling all the instruments.  I did do that once…drove Mike crazy and anytime i start talking about it since then he’s like…”NOOOOOOOOO…you’re not gonna sell your instruments!”

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket , Cricket , Cricket ! That would be like having a yard sale ! Where you sell all your misalanious stuff for pennies on the dollar ! So after it’s all sold !You can go buy it all back at full price ! Your better off to just keep it ! I say , Forget about it ! Don’t do it ! Mike says NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO….. please don’t do it !

Then I , Steve says if you do sell your sweet music buddy’s that love only Cricket ,  that your house of cards will surly fall and there will be no more Cricket , Then Cricket your presonus will cry and die of neglect , Also your poor sweet instruments sold into slavery to owners that my neglect them mistreat them force them to play classical music O how sad there’s just no way of knowing  what their demise would be ! So Sad , Cry , Whine , Bawl !

I just can’t write anymore , So by for now , I will just pray that Cricket and Crickets presonus friends will be spared !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

LOl…sorry, Steve…I think I caused a panic.  Well I go through this kind of feeling every so often…I’ve played music just any ol’ way on my own for, well since I was 10 years old…and I just get times where I feel like it’s just a big waste of time and effort…and in the past I’ve sold my instruments…then later regretted it, because seems the instruments go up in price and I go down in pay each time I do that.  Once I did trade in a banjo for a box of disposable diapers when my child was a baby…that was different, but I wouldn’t have done it if I wasn’t in one of those moods…lol.  Well anyway I guess i just feel like i need a change of some sort.  I’m kinda caught up in this little hamster wheel called Presonus to youtube to Presonus to youtube, etc.  Mike won’t let me get rid of instruments anymore…lol. Dont’ worry…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well strangely enough, I heard from an old friend I used to play a lot of music with…he’s fed up with it…lol.  I thought it was so strange we both, from a distance, had the same feelings about it all.  I found myself encouraging him to stay the course…that feeling goes away sooner or later.  I think there’s a music bug going around…”music flu,” I guess you could call it.  Well, in the meantime…Mike was like…”no matter how fed up you get, hang on to everything because then you’ll soon be back full speed with it all again.”  He’s right…and now I’m thinking my first idea…just to do jam tracks of stuff I’ve put onto youtube before and meant to add on the jam tracks but just didn’t ever do it…yeah, now thinking that’s the plan. It might get me off the eternal hamster wheel and be a good project to work on.  I think I’ve learned more about what an easy-to-deal-with jam track is vs. a hard-to-deal-with jam track, or some of it, since I started recording on Presonus, so it’s probably good I’m just now getting to this.  Of course, there’s always more I don’t know that what I do know, and you know, we all know, the worst thing about that is it’s impossible to know what you don’t know…so, well, you never know.  I remember one time at work a supervisor asked me how come I hadn’t been coming to the meetings…I said I didn’t know about the meetings…she said she’d sent emails…I said I didn’t get those emails…she asked why I didn’t tell her I didn’t get those emails…I said, “Gerry, I can’t know I’m not getting emails if I don’t know there’s supposed to be emails…I can’t know what I don’t know.”  Fortunately for me, she laughed…and then started making sure my name was on the email list…doggone it, cause I didn’t like those meetings…lol.  Ok..anyway, I fear I could be off topic.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.