New year Fiddle Resolutions…

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? New year Fiddle Resolutions…

This topic contains 57 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 week ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Anybody got fiddle resolutions for the new year?  I’ve been thinking about trying to get more in touch with m6 natural fiddlin* instincts, whatever the6 are…lol…I think for me it means back away from the more Bluegrassy classics and put a ton more effort into old timey stuff and ballady stuff.  One of the things I’ve never made good contact with is Groundhog…that’ll be one of 5he first on my resolution list.  This means I focus more on bowing, jus5 getting in touch with my Inner Old Time Fiddler ( hoping I do find 9ne hiding in there somewhere!) , and just staying away from stuff like Back up and Push for now…lol.  That one drives me nuts because I just never ge5 anywhere wit( it…maybe someday, but for now…I feel like I oughta be settling in on old time and getting my bowing all figured out better.  There’s a grea5 lesson here on Groundhog…good place for me to start.  I’d like to get Come Back Boys and Lets Feed the Horses…I don’t think there’s a lesson,so tha5 one will go on the back burner, although…I’m think8ng fr9m my messing around on m6 recording machine, that as much as I love the sound of the old, dark, modal fiddle tunes…I’m not so sure they work so well with my inner fiddler, wher3ver she migh5 be.  So, maybe yes, ma6be no to tha5 one…in othe4 words…given my late start on the fiddle, my limited experience in general…I’m looking to really set my mind to honing in on wha5 works for me, and backing off, for now, on the tunes that seem beyond my style or abilities. Also gotta spend a lot more hours practicing.  So…on t9 Groundhog a# number one for 2018!  Whew…I can’t believe I’m saying that…I’m still not used to it being this century!  Where is time running off to in such a big hurry?  Besides honing in on tunes and style that I think works best for me a5 this point…as I said in another thread I ripped up and ran away with…no more thread hijacking from me…it’s like chocolate…I just gotta ge5 up and get away from that…no mor3 autobiographies, soliloquizing, or philosophizing…just fiddlin or talkin bout that…that’s it…come on 2018, I’m ready for ya!  Happy New Year to BGDaddyers, by the way!  Hoping it’s a good-un for everyone!  Let’s get to work!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

New iPad keypad after update is terrible…sorry for the numbers…I don5 know how to make them not be there in m6 words.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I think we are learning to transpose your code Cricket…

Angela
    Participant

Great topic. I’ll have to think on this one.

Re: numbers.  When you upgrade, the keyboard now has tap for the letter and flick for the number. If you accidentally flick instead of tap, the number gets typed. 😊🤓

Kody Foster
    Kody Foster
    Participant

My goals this year are:

Play two Fiddle songs at Church

Enter the Gilmer, TX yamboree Fiddle contest. I’d love to have Gardenia waltz learned by then, but I not sure I’ll get it there. Any suggestions on tunes I should try? It’s an old-time Fiddle association I believe.

Start a jam around my area.

And teach my two nieces to Fiddle.

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

lol. . .my fiddle goals change from week to week. . .sometimes day to day.  I want to learn how to play more notey breaks at jams on the fly. . .I can work them out at home but my one shot at a break is long gone by then. I have got to get Ragtime Annie worked out to play with others. Then the jam guys played Salt Creek so I have to learn that. Then Dewey flies through Katy Hill so I added that to my list. I knew Billy in the Lowground until I learned 1/2 of Panhandle Country and they are similar so I lost Billy. I need the B part of Panhandle Country and Sled Ride. And the harmony for Faded Love.  And smooth out Jerusalem Ridge. Work on the speed and bowing of Orange Blossom Special.  And I started Roanoke. Too many were too similar so I am gonna get Salt Creek before I start Katy Hill. And this is my January list. . . and Wolves A Howlin by Richard Greene is a really neat-o tune.  So much to do and so little time.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

No resolutions, just current plans on direction…

I have a few keys I need to concentrate on to get more familiar with them. B, Bb, F

More slower stuff is in the plan…country,  ‘grass, & waltzes’  (currently learning My Blue Eyed Darlin‘)

Planning lots of work on double stops: moving them within a chord, and using them to run to the next chord, and anything that sounds like steel guitar licks primarily.

There are several tunes I already play that I have more licks, alternate breaks, or harmonies I want to work out yet.

That should cover the next five years or so….hahaha

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Wow, those are some really lofty resolutions! You all are amazing.

Cricket, I can remember when your iPad first started glitching. You wrote “8strument” instead of “instrument,” and I thought, “Well, I guess that’s how they say it in Kentucky.” True story.

My resolution is to add more basic teaching lessons in addition to the tunes. Lots of people keep asking for that. I also want to make an instrumental CD with my brothers, and write a paper on figurate numbers in the Bible. Weird, I know. I want to visit the UK with my girls as a high school graduation present to them, and play “Loch Lomond” on the banks of “Loch Lomond.”

Anyone else?

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I want to just continue mastering my first 25 tunes and add a few more tunes to blue grass daddy like [ Ain’t she sweet ] that stupid song woke me up at 4 am this morning cant get it out of my head since I posted it , I am also seeing old cars along with it I think the tune is haunted .

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well, get ready and let’s stick to it and make the most of 2018…I really think knowing what you want to work at is as important as actually working for it…can’t afford to waste time flittering around in some desultory way.  Hey, look, no numbers!  But, at the risk of hijacking my thread…my music callouses on the left hand forces m3 to type with only the right hand, and my clawhammering nail and guitar picking nail on my first two fingers leaves me with only poking around the keypad with whatever leftovers m6 hand has to offer, and I guess my technique is not up to Apple’s demands…lol.  John, if in your travels you hear someone say “eightstrument,” you’ll know I spelled it right!  I guess it means…fiddle/viola/autoharp/dulcimer/guitar/banjo/bass/cello….it could mean that, somewhere…for me, it would have to be 7 nstrument!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oops…forgot to mention…freezing to death working outside and thought of it coming back in for coffee…I used to be a guitar finger picker…well, I abandoned that once I joined a BG band, a few years back…the groove just isn’t the same…I als started playing the fiddle at that same time and then dropped out of the band and started in on the Presonus recordings,,,once again, my fiddling groove seems to be at odds with my finger picking groove, yet I can see by these past few years I am no flat picker…would take me another 50 plus years to get used to that…so, well in my mind, my ginger picking groove seems to be the same as my Fiddling groove…maybe I’m right or wrong, but for me, another goal is to find where the groove on the fingerpicking and the fiddling match up…and get the two going.  I haven’t fingerpicked hardly ever for the past nine years…I wanna get back into it, but I want the fiddle and guitar to see things eye-to-eye, if possible.  Gonna try for that…now, more coffee and back out to work…doggone it’s cold today’s!

Angela
    Participant

Great goals everybody. Hard to follow the daddy himself. That’s awesome. Can’t wait to see the pix.

Im with Dave, my goals won’t fit into one year. But here goes:

1. Keep working on the breaks for the band list (a very long list)

2. Work on my double shuffle to be able to change the top note.

3. Work on more double stops up the neck

4. Play something in a contest this summer

5. Learn variations to Cherokee Shuffle and Whiskey Before Breakfast

6. Play on stage at the Ryman. 😀😜

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

More classic rock!  🙂  Nothing better than rocky raccoon on the fiddle!

John,  I have been to the UK,  its not that great.  Basketball game in the 80’s!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket here’s a old tune called Old zip coon played by 2nd Carolina string band , which later had a name change by Blue grass players and country folks and is now called Turkey in the Straw this is maybe one of the tunes that qualify for your bowing practice , there is tabs and sheet music on BGD for this one .

https://youtu.be/dMK45nYx4oc

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Steve…yes, I’ve seen a few of their youtubes…they’re good, aren’t they?  I do need to add that one to my growing list.  Always makes it easier when we’ve got a Lessons!  I should add I would really love to find actual human beings, rather than a little machine, to play some music with…somehow.  Like I said before, the BG isn’t exactly what I’m made of…the BG jams here are huge and a long drive, you gotta pay, too organized and too bluegrassy …just not my thing exactly.  There’s only one old time jam…expensive and always located in some traffic-hectic, expensive parking, cut-throat area over the river…a little too snooty for my comfort zone…too organized and formal…gotta sit down in a yuppie restaurant and either eat their expense food (no thanks) or drink awful, misconstrued yuppie coffee while you wait for the only old time band to play and when they finally finish you’re allowed to play too…not really my thing…I fit in like a frog in a dessert…or….make that desert…how do you spell it…either way…frog in chocolate sauce or cactus mesa or whatever…it ain’t my thing.  I tried the local dulcimer club, that advertises they welcome any instrument…even though I have a dulcimer…but, but, but…they go in for half frets and written music and again…a long drive and overly organized and all.  They were gonna put me into the instructional class so I could learn to read music, lest I accidentally get creative out 5here among the h7ndreds of dulcimer enthusiasts…lol…no, I don’t mean to be critical, but again, it just ain’t my thing, exactly.  The Presonus is exactly my thing, and I realize with othe4 humans nothing will or should be exactly my thing…I just want a relaxed atmosphere that doesn’t cost money, require me to partake of yuppie ingredients, pay to attend, drive long distances, or play in ways that feel suffocating to me. Oops…time to get back to work…

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket You can do like me and use the Grab on line videos and use johns videos or utube videos or other BGD videos to play along with its not live but you can stop and start them at your own pleasure and using the video player John recommends you can slow them down or speed them up or loop them and it don’t cost anything and nobody gets their feelings hurt and if you don’t like them you can delete HA ! I enjoy playing along with John and the In the Garden video I posted John has tablature for it .

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I do that sometimes, too.  That’s a good way to enjoy a jam.

kjdebolt
    Participant

My goals are to practice more and to practice better!  Make sure I play in tune – stop when I don’t and focus focus focus.  I want to put up more in the Lion’s den and to play more in front of others.  Thanks Everyone for being there.  I still need to do something with the house in Rockport.  Have a Happy New Year everyone

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I think if you plan on playing the rest of your life, those who don’t read music should plan on learning the basics of note reading in the treble clef.  It would only take a week or so of casual work to learn the notes and be able to play them, at least slowly, so you could work your way through a tune.  Reading the timing, & actually playing something you never heard is a little more advanced, but even if you just used this to refresh a tune you kind of know, but need some coaching to remember it, or something you’re learning & you know how it sounds.  If you know how a song sounds, and you kind of have the sound in your head, you don’t have to be very advanced to play it from sheet music, because you’re just using the notation to fill in the gaps between the bars you have in your head.

It opens up a whole world of music to you, when you can take a fiddle book of music and use it to learn new pieces.  Especially the books that come with audio, plus the huge amount of pieces & lessons here on BGD, so you don’t have to be able to read timing etc. as you get that from the audio.  Anyway…would be a great resolution…I guarantee that just to read the scale in the treble clef is not anywhere near as hard as you think it is.  If you only knew how easy it really is, you would be doing it right away.

I’m not saying that this should take the place of playing by ear.  That’s something you don’t want to give up.  But there’s so many times it would be great to just be able to read off a tune from paper, like you do with tablature.  And you can keep a library of music since everything’s available in sheet music.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by rodger rodger.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Rodger , I bought two books on how to read music so 2018 will begin that journey , we never stop learning till , [Were just a picture in a frame]

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I’ll guess you’ll like it Steve…roger’s correct: both tab and notation are good tools and have their uses…I use the  both, and have a couple books of exercises that are strictly notation.

One nice thing about notation is you can tell the sound of the tune better with a quick look than with tablature…so once you’ve found the fingering it’s actually usually easier to play along with notation and know where you are at and what it’s supposed to sound like.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Guys, I will say that I can read music in all clefs…treble (trouble), bass, and the weird movable C clefs…I won’t knock it…but it’s not helpful to me.  I can’t seem to translate the written music to fiddle, guitar, etc.  I can read music and hear in my head how it goes, but then to play an instrument I have to just play it b6 ear only.  I’ve made use of tab, because it’s quicker for me to know what to play, but it is a slower, more awkward way for me to learn to play.  I prefer listening and watching, then rely on memory…knowing I probably play 3verything wrong…lol…but it’s the way I learn and the way I love to play,  whenever I rely too much on tab, I ge5 to where it takes me forever to remember how to play it on my own.  So…I’m not disagreeing with the idea that’s learning to read music and tab is a valuable and enabling tool, but just telling my own experience with my styles of music I play, in case there’s anybody else who learns like I do…probably not…lol…but could be somebody, possibly.  Regardless…New Years is a good time to set out some long term goals, and then fill in the details as time goes along.  No matter where any of us are in our progress, I’m sure we all want improvement and any new ideas that will be helpful.  One thing for me…I think I’ve been working toward putt8ng on the blinders and focusing what little time I usually have to zero in on what my natural inclinations are, as I said before.  I think it’s hard for me to scatter myself too much at this point…I’m assuming some people can play various styles with equal ease and some others might be mor3 8nclined toward a specific style…at least for now I’m think8ng.  So, honing in on one style is a broad goal for me….I guess filling in my details is to start with bowing and figure out which tunes would be good for messin with that.  Also get back into fingerpick8ng …yet try to see if fiddling and fingerpicking can find a mutual groove…am I repeating myself?  Oh gosh…well no voluntary, uninvited, autobiographical stuff here at least…lol…anyway…good luck, everyone, in establishing goals that are reasonable, helpful, doable, etc.  Let’s hope by this time in 2018, we are all better at the things we want improvement on.  W3 can do that!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Uh-oh…I oughta know about that best laid plans of mice and men curse…soon as I make a plan, something else comes up.  Seems I’ve got more Purcell to do. “ Music for a while,” like all Purcell’s stuff is beautiful, mysterious, and morose…the ostenato bass line is usually there too, twisting and turning through beautiful and agonizing chord progressions, until it finds its way, miraculously, back to where it started.  This is Purcell…I’m getting t9 know him well…I think his music is so unique and weird…he was definitely a real genius.  I’m attaching a Music for a While here to have a look at…you can watch the ostenato bass…a repeating line throughout the song that only changes to shift to another key…but ver6 sneaky…  daughter Annie sang this in high school…now she wants me to miraculously come up with accompaniment For some project or other she’s working on…it used to be sung by sopranos, lutes and cellos, but all over YouTube I see now it’s done by tenors and a lot of jazz musicians have gotten a hold of it…still, here’s one that, even though has a male voice, sticks pretty much to the Baroque tradition…listen to the bass…it’s amazing.  Now, for me to figur3 out, A…can I play it, or something convincingly close…,B how do I go about it, if it’s possible?

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Peggy I agree…it’s much faster to get things memorised when learning by ear….but sometimes it can take forever to figure out a tricky passage…that’s where the tedious tab and notation comes in handy for me.

I’ll mention that I also like videos…when  player switches positions I can miss it easily and the video helps with that.

Playing in different positions has been one of my biggest gains in the last year…all pretty much by accident, because of the pieces I’ve worked on, but i’m starting to get much more understanding of moving around the fingerboard than I had.

I’ve only run across lessons on positions explained thr0ugh playing scales…but in practice it seems I picture moving from one chord/DS pattern to another and it makes much more sense to me.

I will continue my 2017, cause could not practice as planned in 2017

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Well, Boerge…at least you won’t have to buy a new calendar  (:>)

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Those are all excellent resolutions… I do think learning notation is a very good idea. Also staying fit! Boerge, I hope you are able to practice injury-free this year. Rock, you too! And Cricket, I’m looking forward to hearing more Purcell from you!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well, guys…I would like to start work8ng on tryin* to sync up my fiddling with my guitar picking…hmmm….it’s just hard for me to get.  I tried the other day…clawhammering on the banjo works fine…fiddling with the clawhammering works ok too, but fiddling with guitar fingerpicking…I don’t know what the problem is.  I tried to work out Roll on Buddy, 9 lb hamburger or however you call it…the other day, and I started out in G, usually I play it 8n a different key…tuned fiddle to GDGD, and felt lost the whole way…barely hanging on, 5he. I found myself wanting to shuffle, I mean, you know, hokum-style shuffling, which I’m no good at, then found myself doing that upside down, which about drove me crazy,..also, my bow was skipping and scrap8ng…guess I needed dark rosin, very cold in that recording room….or, maybe I just needed ANY rosin 🙄, but well, anyway…I don’t like clogging ( except as a dance) up the Lions Den the way I ve done, so I’m putt8ng my first New Years experiment right here….and now…yes, once again, I’m ha7nted by the ghost of Henry Purcell…lol.  So who knows when I’ll get back to my own plans!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by cricket cricket.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Haha we always called it “Nine Pound Hamster.” I love this version. I’m so used to playing this song at a frenetic pace; it is so refreshing to hear it in a laid-back style. I like the shuffles in the backbround. And your guitar picking is really good. Tell Mr. Purcell to take a back seat while you record some old-time!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

hahaha…9 lb hamster…now cleaning coffee off monitor

Very nice Peggy! I like the speed also.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Nice Cricket

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks…lol…poor ol song, everybody makes fun of the title.  I guess I’d rather deal with a nine pound hamburger than a 9 lb hamster…what a big ol thing…probably want half of that hamburger!  Been workin at Purcell all day…ugh…I forgot how hard that music is… I gotta a start on the Presonus, but it’s a mess and I’m outta time for now…I hope I can rembmer how I planned to deal with that mess the next time i get back to it…it’s a 9 lb Purcell headache, for sure.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Happy New Year, everyone! We hope all your resolutions are upheld. 🙂

John and family

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Nic8,  Crick8t!!  Nobody else said classic rock fiddle,  HUH!  🙂

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Happy New Year everyone. Have a blast with your fiddle!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Rock, I see you are speaking my language…or else you got an iPad for Christmas!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

This is from Nancy Parker (3nfiddLe):

My Musical New Years Resolution 😑  is to practice “100 Days in a Row” <see below>

If Hillary Hahn had unexpected results; just imagine  how I could benefit from doing this🎵.

Any other BGD members want to “Go 100 Days in a Row? 😳

http://stringsmagazine.com/hilary-hahn-commits-to-practicing-for-100-days-in-a-row/

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Cool idea and commitment, but..Realistically, I spend enough hours/day on the fiddle (I really don’t do much of anything else) that I need to take a day off from time to time to recover physically or catch up mentally. or spend a day just listening for something new to catch my ear.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I am with you Nancy as I already never miss a day LOL there are days I may only jam three or four of the ones I do the best but so far I have not missed a day since I started last may of 2017 .

kjdebolt
    Participant

I’ll try for 100 in a row.  I play most days  but PRACTICE that’s something different.  I need to do the scales.  John – weren’t you thinking of putting up some basic fiddle lessons on techniques?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in