New Years Commitments

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    rodgerrodger
    Participant

Well it’s that time again.  We used to all get on here and struggle over resolutions at this time.  I’m not sure why I have to rely on New Years to reorganise my life, but it does work for me.  I guess I’m such a horrible procrastinator and always starting things and not finishing them that any failure in this would be invisible in the daily list of unfinished projects.

Today I completed my goal of total daily exercises for the year, which I have also succeeded for the past several years.  I didn’t set any specifics for time etc. on the fiddle, but I completed my year in orchestra and advancing my lessons beyond what I hoped for.  Fell off the wagon in my chocolate & ice cream battles though.  Paid my bills and stayed out of trouble…kind of.

This year will be my loftiest and biggest resolutions of all time.  I will carry on with my exercise program the same as the last several years.  Adding to it with the resolution to put a thousand miles on my bike when the weather warms up.  I got close to that 2 years ago, but last year failed to ride at all, so that’s why it goes on the resolution list this year.   That is a average of 2 twenty five miles rides a week for 5 months, and I may not be able to find the time, but I will try.

My biggest resolution deals with my life long struggle I have failed miserably at virtually all my life.  It will be a completely new life for me.  I have a set a goal to get up every morning by 6:00, or hopefully before that, and get my violin practice in.   This will change my entire life, but I’m going to do it.

I’m also building an airplane this year.  I had a kit that I was procrastinating  on,  but recently found someone who wanted it and  in exchange provided me with a 750 Super Duty straight across.  My resolution is to completely finish the airframe, at least, this year.

Also, of course, my goal is to stay with my violin program, since that’s the main purpose of my early rising resolution.  I’ll probably have to get really mad at myself to do this.  I’m always depressed with my lack of discipline, so if I can’t get motivation by the rewards of accomplishment, I’ll have to do it as a punishment.

So in about 24 hours I’ll go outside and fire my gun in the air as the custom is for the whole neighborhood here to bring in the New Year, and it’s off to the races for me.  And believe me, no one is more curious to see what happens with this than I am….

cricketcricket
    Participant

Sounds like you’ve done pretty good, compared to most people, Rodger!

In the old days when we lived in the mountains I used to keep one of those small little notepads that fits in the palm of your hand and a pencil and everyday write out my goals while I drank coffee…yeah, first I got up at 5, stoked the fire if it was wintertime, made breakfast, then wrote down everything I wanted to accomplish that day only…this included situps, splitting wood, clearing land or working it otherwise, playing my guitar (only instrument I had), everything.  I proudly scratched off things as I got them done, and anything left over was copied over to the next day.  People were always amazed at how much stuff I could get done in one day…

…fast forward to today…I’m a disorganized mess who starts many projects and doesn’t get half of them done…lol…this seemed to have happpend gradually, and I’ve never found the way to get it all back together again.  I know one problem is there’s too many instruments and I have a lot of trouble balancing time for each.  I had planned, exactly 10 years ago when I retired (which I had to do at that time because I just couldn’t handle all the pressures anymore…the job was really, really stressful)…I had planned to kick it all into high gear…I had stopped working out in any way and gained weight and felt lousy and just planned to get it all back together…well it only got worse…ended up taking care of sick and/or people verging on homelessness up and down the road from us and just helped or fixed up dilapidated houses all the time…which I just didnt expect.  That has gradually wound down these days…so…

…my grandson told me about this thing he’s doing…at age 9…lol…to organize his life…called bullet journalling.  So I bought myself a bullet journal and gonna try to get everything in my life organized again with that thing.  It has always helped me to visualize what I wanna do and watch the visual evidence of it getting accomplished as I record that on my page.  I’ve tried online journal type things and it just doesn’t provide the visulization for me…so…hoping my bullet journal gets me going in the right directions again.  One thing I did do right this year was give up sugar, or anything that turns into sugar.  No rice, no noodle, no tater, no sugar, no syrup, no candy, anything sweet I made with dates.  Not the same…I’m convinced I had a real sugar addiction and even grains and starches fed my addiction.  So…I can’t believe it’s been a whole year that I’ve gotten through that…lol.  But that’s it…failed at everything else I meant to do.

Good luck keeping up with your goals, Rodger, and everybody else who is attempting to get their goals underway for the new year.

rodgerrodger
    Participant

I have received ‘huge’ motivation and inspiration from learning about the life and accomplishments of the child prodigy, Akiane.  This girl by age 8 had painted one of the all time greatest paintings in the world, and she clearly said she never had an actual lesson but that God taught her to paint.  She is also a poet, and writes what I consider to be the greatest poetry ever written.  She gets up at 4:00 and starts painting from the age of 6.

cricketcricket
    Participant

That’s amazing, and inspiring.  I think sleep isn’t all it’s made out to be, although at times it seems we need to try to catch up on it.  I sleep a lot later now…usually until around 7, now that we’re both retired.  I gotta say even when I used to get up early, it was to give myself time to wake up enough to do stuff later…I’ve never been a morning person.  So, these days, when I get up at 7, it’s a lot of coffee and sittin’ around before my motivation starts the ignition process…lol.

There’s so much I wanna do, but if I got started at 7, I’d have to get up at 4 too, to get awake enough to be getting started by 7…lol.  I gotta admit though, heating with a woodstove sure helped us get up earlier…house starts gettin’ cold…time to stoke that fire so when you get outta bed it’s not freezing inside!  Too easy now…press a button…zoom…it’s warm.

rodgerrodger
    Participant

Another promise I’m making to myself concerns recording tunes.  I always have seasonal music I want to record and post such as Christmas, 4th of July patriotic, etc., but I procrastinate so bad, the holiday is long gone before I get around to it.  Every year I want to post my corded version of Silent Night but I can never get to it before Christmas is over.  So I’m thinking I’ll just post stuff irregardless of seasons…also, that will give anyone who wants to work on it time to do so before the event.  I have some non-traditional fiddle tunes also, such as, I didn’t know the gun was loaded, a whim a way, Yellow Bird, etc.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

I made a commitment not to make any commitments !

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

Right there with you Steve!

MoonShadowsMoonShadows
    Participant

Make me three!

Happy New Year to all of you. May your new year bring you much happiness, good health and prosperity! Here’s a non-traditional, but very good, version of Auld Land Syne by Andrew Bird. Enjoy!

rodgerrodger
    Participant

Yea…I know it would be best not to push myself.  I always would take notice of the folks back home, just sitting on the porch.  I’d walk by and they might holler, “you sure got the berries!” or something referring to whatever I was doing.  There was that special connection, even if it was a total stranger.  There was no rat race or unhappiness over the poverty, and that was reflected in a calm, uncomplicated life style.  A lot of time just sitting on porch watching the world go by.  But I left home, and am basically lost like a wandering, lost dog.  Instead of sitting on the porch, I get way over my head starting projects I can’t finish, or can’t maintain what I do finish.  I get carried away with wanting to accomplish, wanting to achieve.  I often wish I could have stayed home and be sitting on the porch in the warmth of the mountain air….maybe hollering a greeting at some passing kid about his bucket of berries.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Rodger, I hear ya loud and clear.  I miss the mountains and I fear I can’t be happy anywhere else…I won’t say can’t be happy, but it’ll never be the same, I’ll say that.  I will always miss the life you describe so well. Always miss that.  My life now is just plain weird…lol.

rodgerrodger
    Participant

The three years I spent in Breathitt county, there was still folks way up the mountain far from any road.  I remember one day being asked to help get a chair.  We drove up a creek that had a rocky creek bed, in a dump truck with big tires and enough clearance…just drove right up the creek for miles to a little cabin on the side of the mountain.  A man lived there that made those braided willow rocking chairs.  I was too young and immature to think anything about it then.  It was just a normal thing, but I wish I would have taken more interest because those days are pretty well gone now.

My high school sweetheart’s granny lived alone up on the mountain in a little cabin, really isolated, and she was always so happy up there.  After I left home, Mom & Dad moved way up into an ancient cabin on the mountain for a few years.  It was really isolated, with no neighbors anywhere.  Visiting them up there was really going back in time, but Mom had developed epilepsy and it was just too far from any medical help for them to stay on there.  They really seemed happy, and I remember them as being very different when they lived up there, and the people that visited were much more interesting, friendly, and personal.  I remember one old feller that really took it on himself to indoctrinate me on how I had to build me my own stone fireplace in my house, and how I had to carry on that culture for the sake of our people.  He understood what I’d loose if I didn’t do it.

The old log house in Mineral county W. Va where Dad lived and all his folks for generations is still there and very isolated, but you can  drive into it by following a couple tracks along the creek.  When I was growing up it was still like it was way back in time.  A little spring house for water & serve as an ice box.  No electricity in sight.  Not one thing where you could tell whether you were back in the 1700’s.  Except, around 1900 they put a sheet metal roof on it, and that is why it has been preserved so perfectly.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Rodger, let me encourage you in your commitments! I hope you are able to stick to each and every one of them. I have pledged to get to bed early and get up early, something I have never been able to do. I have joined a group called F3 for 5:15 AM workouts three days a week and it has really been helping me get my day in order.

https://f3nation.com/

I am hoping to be much more rested and healthy, also more efficient and useful with my time in the coming year!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

In 1985, on New Year’s Eve, I pledged not to ever drink alcohol again. So far, so good! In 1987, on New Year’s Eve, I pledged to never smoke again. So far, so good!

This year, on New Year’s Eve, I pledged to get off from sugar (after having been attacked so bad from blood sugar creating neuropathy in my feet) and to diet to lose weight. This morning, 8 days into my diet, no more foot pain and I’ve lost 9.2 pounds!

Dieting has always been the toughest commitment to keep but so far, so good!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Fred, good for you!  You can do it.  I made that pledge this time last year because of my terrible stomach.  I’d read up on the specific carbohydrate diet (an old diet used way before I was born for people with celiac or other digestive issues…now becoming popular again because people seem to have so many food allergies, etc.) and decided to try.  Well, since I’m the cook, Mike had to eat that way too.  We weren’t even trying to lose weight…I was just trying to get my stomach to not kill me everyday.  One of the big things in that diet is to avoid sugar.  Ok, well I admit I was sugar addicted (3 full-size candy bars and a cup of coffee has been my snack for years, not to mention sugar in ketchup, etc.)…but also in this diet is even starches like grains (hard to say good bye to rice, bread, cornbread, noodles, etc.)…anyhow to our surprise we both lost weight we’ve struggled with for years and couldn’t seem to lose by counting calories or any of that.  Also, I learned to make snacks of peanut butter or something in various strange concoctions that taste pretty good…learned to make noodles from yellow squash or zucchini that taste pretty good too.  We’re loving the diet now and feel like in our cases, it’s done us a lot of good.  At this point I don’t miss sugar…if I want a carbonated drink I use La Croix or Perrier…no sugar, no artificial sweetener.  Anyhow…I’m proof that it’s possible to give up sugar.  And if you poke around the net a little bit, you can see a lot of horrifying stuff the sugar industry has been hiding from the public for years…yeah…the whole world is addicted to sugar now, it’s in all processed foods now, and the ubiquitous chronic health problems are the sad result around the whole world now.  Sugar…yeah it’s great stuff but it’s pretty evil…I’m very sorry to say…lol.  I really don’t miss it anymore though.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Rodger, I like those mountain memories.  Once in a while something reminds me of one time or place or another and I often feel like writing a lot of the stories out before I completely just forget stuff from back in those days.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Oh Oh, Cricket. I’ve still been eating rice but I’ve cut way back on bread. Guess I’ll have to do a little more research to make a good diet. It’s made all the more interesting with the colon operations I’ve undergone.

cricketcricket
    Participant

By the way, speaking of that ol’ evil sugar…lol…I just read something interesting the other day.  Seems that the chemical structure of glucose (table sugar is 50 % glucose, and eating sweets and starches elevates most people’s blood glucose) is so similar to the chemical structure of ascorbic acid…a.k.a., vitamin C…that they actually compete with each other inside our bodies.

This means a lot of things…for one thing, people who are experiencing elevated glucose will have trouble absorbing enough vitamin C without supplementing.  And if they do take vitamin C, it will get into a battle with their blood glucose and possibly be helpful in bringing it down some.  But they must make sure their vitamin C supplement has no sugar, because so many do, which of course would make the vitamin C useless in that the sugar and vitamin C would cancel each other out.

It also means that when we eat sugary foods or high starch foods, we need more vitamin C than anybody avoiding those foods.  In fact, people around the world who have lived on whale blubber or salmon or elk or whatever meats, only…as long as they stuck with those traditional meat diets, they didn’t get scurvy.  Yet, others who ate something which caused more of a glucose rise, did get scurvy unless they included high vitamin C foods.

I mean, I’m no scientist, but just my understanding of stuff I was reading a while back.  Makes me wonder what else, what other nutrients could be affected by sugar in the diet.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Fred, I used to eat a lot of rice too, mainly because I was so gluten intolerant.  We gave up rice because the specific carbohydrate diet says it’s off their list…mainly what we eat now is meat and veggies…it’s not that hard for us.  We also eat berries and once in a while for a treat i make “ice cream” in the ol’ vitamix  with frozen fruits of all kinds…pineapple, mango, berries, bananas…etc.  We try to limit the sweeter fruits, though.  The specific carbohydrate diet allows fruits and it also allows honey as a sweetener…when we first started we were using honey a lot, and still use it once in a while, but once we noticed we were losing weight without even trying, we pretty much dropped the honey except for special occasions, and don’t eat the sweet fruits more than once a week or so…we do eat berries though.  Anyhow…every person has to find what will work for them, of course…but from my reading, which I only started really doing after we started the scdiet, sugar is just one of the killers in this world…like cigarettes and alkeehol…the more I read the more I regret ever having anything to do with the stuff.

I started dropping the honey once I read that it’s higher in fructose than glucose, making it contribute to the epidemic of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in our country right now.  Even little kids are coming down with it.  I wish I’d never had sweets in my life now…lol.  Nothing good about any of it.  I can’t even give it to my grandson anymore…I try to make him the vita mix ice cream…or chocolate pudding made from ripe avocados, cocoa powder and dates.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Oh yeah, one more thing…if you do drop sugar and other starches at the same time…you need to make sure you drink more than you’re used to…not alkeehol of course…lol…just water or something hydrating.  High sugary starchy foods make your body hang on to water, and if you suddenly stop those foods, you will lose all that water and people can get dehydrated enough to get sick from it if they don’t replace that water.  Sometimes it’s even a good idea to add a little more salt than usual when you first drop the sugars.

cricketcricket
    Participant

I’ll shut up about that now…lol.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.