No recording day for me!!!

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? No recording day for me!!!

This topic contains 24 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 2 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well, this is two weeks in a row with no recording day…our big fancy ( relatively) new computer is acting up…the Presonus just as it goes along recording…stumbles and surges ahead, getting my tracks all out of wack.  Our computer is messed up since a wreck on the interstate knocked the power out a few weeks back.  On top of that, itunes keeps disappearing and not letting me get it again, which is what I use to convert my wave files to MP3 so they are usable…so that’s not happening, even if I could record something…then, of course on top of that, for some reason my iPad decided it would no longer produce sound, so I can’t get my usual YouTube thrills..lol, frustration all around…I checked the screen lock setting, which sometimes messes up the sound, but it’s not that this time around.  Im tellin ya…I’m so fed up with technology…feel like throwing it all out.  Only trouble is I can’t play my instruments together without technology…just one at a time and imaginary other parts going just inside my head…I’ve done that for years…lol…but now I’m spoiled and I want to hear other things playing together.  No good jams around here either…blah…I’ll just drink coffee and wash dishes!  Lol…missing the good ol days, when we didn’t even have a phone…I’m talking no land line, let alone these obnoxious cell phones…you had to drive five miles to the little store to see people and play music.  Got a text from an old friend, relocated and bemoaning the old places now all destroyed earlier today too…hmmmm…what’s this old world coming to?  I guess if I ever do get the computer working again to where I can record again, I’ll do my original idea…play stuff I can just use as a private jam session…put it all up on a blog for personal use to jam with…but, once again, the technological issues involved drive me batty.  Plus…on top of that…Mike was gonna buy a bunch of chocolate yesterday and I told him to put it down…we don’t need it…we’ll, today…I wish I woulda said, yeah…we need four dozen candy bars…uh-huh…yeah!  Oh well…no music for me, no chocolate for me…at least there’s coffee!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Haha chocolate is good for consolation. 🙂 I’m sorry about the technical woes, Cricket. And I’m sorry you haven’t recorded for a second week in a row! I’m really loving the music you’ve been generating. I hope you get everything tracking again soon.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, John.  I hope something changes soon…I could go crazy without Presonus and chocolate all at the same time!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well after a lot of frustration, seems it might be working again now…hopefully I can find some time to try a quick song, soon!  Technology + Cricket = bad vibes…lol.  That’s my personal formula!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Just do a live feed and jam,  Cricket!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Do a what????

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

OK,  maybe not a live feed but all you have to do is get on BGD’s video recorder and play!  That way you don’t have to record it,  put it on YouTube and then post it on the forum,  it’s already there!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Sorry your having such a bad time . I have to many irons in the fire and I still haven’t even tried to use my new toy .

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh, yeah, Rock…you mean just play one instrument at a time.  Yeah, but…I just got very spoiled by my Presonus and now I like to play many instruments at the same time…I guess I could invent one of those contraptions where you make a buncha noise at once!  Well, but, the thing is working again, though…but now I’m helping Mike hang drywall…ugh…I hate drywall like nothing else in this world…and it’s been a nemesis…how do you spell that?  Anyway, it’s followed along behind me my whole life…I have drywalled more than any woman I’ve ever met, and even more than most men…I hate that stuff.  Anyway…busy with that and a few other things…gonna have to wait until my usual Presonus day—Friday, to get something on there…hopefully Friday will be free for me as it has been for a few months now.  Steve, I know the too many irons in the fire routine…I hope you get your machine up and running and all figured out before too long.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

🙂 🙂  Drywall huh!  I know where you can find work!!!!!!!

Your right,  the more instruments the better.  Do it the way you want it sounds much better that way!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

We can send a feller up to the moon but we can’t find anything better to build a wall with than….😱😱😱😱😱😱 drywall!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Cricket, you need to get a loop machine, connect all your instruments, and then put on one big live performance like Rock said. I think it would be awesome!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I really don’t know anything about that…lol.  I oughta learn something about it I guess…is a loop machine something like a Presonus??? Tomorrow I have to visit my dad and then after that have Granny Day…Friday I’ll help a little with drywall and then hopefully there will be some time left for official Presonus Day…yay!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Cricket, we’ve had the drywall discussion before.  I’ve always wondered how we got pulled into having to use that stuff.  It’s just dust packed in between paper.  I’ll never put up another sheet of it.  If I can’t use tongue & groove or some such, I just put up plywood.  It costs more, but is solid & permanent.  We have houses up here that use it on all the walls.  It’s just a cultural/attitude thing to feel like a wall has to be a perfect blank, smooth surface with no character.  I guess I’m just a non-conformist.

My Grandad that was retired from the coal mines, was a wallpaper hanger, and when I was little I used to help him on his jobs some.  All the houses back home had wall paper over the plaster walls.  It lasted for years, but it was like getting a new house to put up new wall paper.  The hardest part was deciding what design to get.  Most of it, for living rooms & such, had scenery on it.  It would slowly darken over the years, especially from coal smoke & dust,  or train smoke etc., but it happened so slowly that you didn’t really notice until you cleaned it with that rubbery stuff that worked like a big eraser.  That would be great to use over plywood, but I don’t know if they even make wall paper anymore.  It shouldn’t get dirty either, because houses nowdays aren’t so smokey, & the trains aren’t either, & even the cookstoves have fans & filters to trap the greasy steam off the skillets.  But it took a pro with the basic equipment to put it up.  Every family had funny, legendary accounts of trying to do it themselves…I remember well the procedure.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Rodger…my dad was a wallpaper hanger too…lol.  Just a little more drywall…this time it’s our own house again.  The dirt room, with dirt floor and joists chewed up…we had to replace floor joists, some ceiling joists, dig out dirt, some work on foundation, rebuild walls, put in plumbing and wiring, insulation, flooring, and now we are up to drywall level.  This has been a looming project for years, but we’ve had many interruptions to have to do bigger jobs for family losing their homes and we’ve fixed up old existing houses also in the family so they have a place to go…this should be the final room in our own house.  When we moved up here, we were used to having a job suddenly end within a couple of years, and one if us searching for work or doing sporadic odd jobs for maybe five dollars a day, while, hopefully, the other working for minimum job…but the jobs never lasted.  So when we got the jobs up here to buy a house, we went way, way under what the bank recommended as a loan…so, anyway, it was pretty much dilapidated…lol.  But we thought it was a great opportunity and had the experience working on those things…just, amazingly, we never lost the jobs, and stayed too busy to do that much with the house until recently, but like I said, everybody seemed to have troubles, were not able to do their own work, so our house had to wait…I’m resolving to never ever touch drywall again after this room is finished!!!  But, I do hope to do a little work, then fire up that Presonus machine later on!!!! Whooo-hoooo!   I lived through another dollar night at the roller rink…and time to make some music!  I think I’m starting to develop a fear of flailing young children on tiny wheels though…lol.  You know, I knew so many wise old women known affectionately by their neighbors as Granny, and it was an honorable title.  But I realized at the skating rink last night I haven’t exactly enjoyed that the women working there call me Granny, Ma-Maw, etc….and as me all the time if I’m doing ok, need a drink, etc.  I’m like…”Oh yeah thanks I feel fine!”  But inside I’m thinking….how old do I look?  This ain’t no marathon…I’m not gonna plop over of a heart attack skating around here…lol.  I don’t need a rest or a drink skating around the couple of hours here they’re open for dollar night…lol!  That’s it…I’m not so fond of being known as the Granny of the skating rink!  Lol…ok, well, anyway…hopefully I’ll be the Granny of the Presonus ! Yahoo!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I did a add on last year , needed a small bed room for our grandson I did the inside walls and ceiling with 1/2 inch OSB chip board and ripped 1/4 inch strips from 2x4s and bated all the cracks and painted it however all the black paint they put on the OSB chip board to mark where studs should be bleed through the paint after a while so if I ever do that again I’ll paint the black marking with kilzs paint first to stop the black from bleeding through . Quicker and easier than dry wall and my grand kids ain’t going to do any rough stuff  and knock any holes in the walls or ceiling , I am not saying they would do that , but if they were to get rough hopefully I am covered . My Grand dad used to say kids will be kids !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yes….kids certainly will be kids.  Well we decided to go in reverse today…I did my Presonus and now we’ll have lunch and hopeuflly finish up the dreaded drywall!  Or get close to finishing.  Seems like I couldn’t concentrate and do justice to this great song by Jean Ritchie, of Viper Ky…just could’t focus or something…had a lot of trouble recording my voice and finally just got tired of trying and put up what I ended up with.  My daugher sings this one exceptionally well…maybe I’m just comparing my own voice to hers…lol…never a good idea.  Anyway…here’s what I got… now on to lunch and drywalling the afternoon away!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Ooops, forgot to add… no fiddle in there, just viola, cross tuned to C.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Wow!  Cricket,  that is beautifully done!  Doesn’t sound like a grand-ma singing.  🙂  Very nice,  I loved it!!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket You always do good , I like it

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well you guys are nice…I sure appreciate it.  Thank you.  I feel I didn’t do this wonderful song it’s deserved justice…had a lot of problems.  Anytime ever my daughter and I ever got a chance to sing together anywhere, we always ended with this one, straight from the heart.  Her voice does better with it and I always just sang mostly harmony…although lots of times we traded off verses, too.  She’s so busy now and doing her own thing…I figured I could handle it all by myself, but having doubts…had a lot of trouble with it.  I might try it again sometime when I’ve got more time to focus in better with it.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Beautiful! The viola cross-tuned to C was a great idea. A while back you posted some older recordings of you and your daughter singing together. I wish you could make some new stuff together with your presonus! Tell her she owes it to you after all the work you did on the Purcell project… 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, John!  I did tell her she owes me…but…she agreed but never has any time…lol.  everybody is so doggone busy.  I got a new tablet today…didn’t pay anything…we switched phone services and they are throwing in an Android tablet with it now, which we didn’t know about and didn’t expect…we just wanted better cell service and prices…I’m kinda excited…typing on it now…just getting to not like the ol iPad anymore…we’ll see how this one does.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

By the way, the Opera is showing on our county local cable right now, this week and maybe a few other weeks…we don’t have cable, but one of Annie’s witches does, so we’ll be getting a viewing party soon.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That is great! I’m glad people get to see it after all that hard work.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in