Norwegian Waltz for Natl. Fiddle Day

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums The Lion’s Den Norwegian Waltz for Natl. Fiddle Day

This topic contains 23 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 week ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Joe
    Participant

Here is my first recording attempt of The Norwegian Waltz. Thought I saw on one of the forum threads something about National Fiddle Day coming up an doing recordings for it.  Anyway got a few bugs to work out with it, and first song ever really had to slide up the neck on also. And on yea Borege this is for you also since your the only guy I kinda sorta know from Norway.

https://thesession.org/tunes/2658

• This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by  Joe. Reason: forgot to add video

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Joe, this is a great recording. Your fiddling is sounding great and the move up the neck was very natural. Thanks so much for posting it here! This is a milepost you can be very proud of.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That really was good…getting up the neck and staying spot-on pitch…wow.  Nice job.  That’s a nice tune, too. Sounds vaguely familiar to me but I don’t think I ever heard it before, not knowingly.  Thanks for posting…Happy World Fiddling Day, Norwegian style!

Joe
    Participant

Thanks. Its a fun tune and wasn’t as hard to learn as I thought it would be. But I still need to work on it some more to get a little bit smoother. Funny thing is I played it at the Jana Jae fiddle class when we each get to play a tune of choice and she got up and started waltzing with one of the other students, I almost lost track of what I was playing it was so unexpected haha.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That’s a real compliment, when somebody gets up and dances!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I looked for that music after you brought attention to it Joe, but couldn’t find the version you played, which is the one I really like.  It does have some elements of other tunes but that isn’t unusual.  Was wondering where you got your music from?  Now that you learned it you can have a lot of fun with what you do with it.  Myself, I focus on learning the notes, then I can concentrate on smoothing out all the bowing, timing, intonation, etc. etc. issues and I never get to the place where I feel like I can’t find some way to improve.  Maybe I’m wrong…maybe I should just move on learning other pieces and not worry about polishing up pieces.  I guess if most of my playing was jamming with a group, then I’d be more interested in learning lots of tunes and not worrying about polishing them up, but most of my playing is alone, and when I do play with others, it’s just being heard on one piece and I have to try to make it sound good.   What we do with our music is highly individualised.  Then jams or camps that I have access to here in Alberta have some high level pro’s running things that can’t help but exert a pressure on our performance, which is a good thing for development, but sometimes I wonder if it’s not better to just play and let all that take care of itself.  I guess my real problem is that I can hear something so special in the music when it’s done well, that I can’t help but strive for that, in spite of the effort it actually takes to achieve it, and the fact that it may not be realistic to actually pay that price to achieve that level.  Just thinking out loud Joe, for the sake of hearing how others feel about it.  A lot of this depends on what else is going on in a person’s life, as to how much they can find time to accommodate this addiction.  Forgive me if I digressed here.  I have this Norwegian thing I can’t explain, and have somehow since I was very small.  It’s just weird.  There’s a lot of good science as to stuff getting written into our DNA from our ancestry, but I don’t actually have any Norwegian ancestry, but certainly the ancestor’s of the Scandinavian’s.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Joe, if you have the music for this one (and there isn’t a copyright issue), please link to it! It’s a great song.

Rodger, I do recommend moving through a large volume of music at the expense of polishing up only a few pieces.

Joe
    Participant

If its the sheet music your after it shows up right underneath the video. It was free sheet music from thesession.org  I will post it here again also.

https://thesession.org/tunes/2658

I kinda learn the same way Rodger, by learning the notes and then work on intonation next, but never seem to get that intonation part where I like it to be. Guess that comes with age and lots of practice. I also hear someone play a piece and it sounds so good to me I want to play it the same way they do but my striving to get there must not be enough haha cause it seems like it rarely happens

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thanks for the link! I have including this on our Sheet Music page.

https://bluegrassdaddy.com/tablature-and-sheet-music/

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Sounded great, Joe!!

Angela
    Participant

Nice work Joe. Nice tune and you are doing great with it. Love that low smooth beginning and the second half sounds like someone whistling while they work.

nagumaq
    nagumaq
    Participant

Good song and playing  Joe ! Thanks for sharing . Your intonation is for sure good and will improve  if you could play it along with John , wink wink . I know mine did l playing slow with John and his slow biginer and intermediate lessons does wonders for my playing . If I practice simple songs with John first , seems I’m all tuned up and ready to conquer evil !

Joe
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the comments. And Gu, if you can talk John into coming to Oklahoma we could play it together live. And another stipulation is you have to come with him haha. Then you can sing along with this song….

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  Joe. Reason: forgot to add link
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

John said”

Rodger, I do recommend moving through a large volume of music at the expense of polishing up only a few pieces.

Really interesting John.  I still want to do both…problem is: life is too short for that.  Interesting to analyse the concept…. I agree, but still look for something in-between,  at least to the point of seeing how far one can develop a few pieces that really move you.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Rodger, that sounds good to me!

Joe, I’ve never been to Spain, but I’ve been to Oklahoma. 🙂  My girls loved the National Cowboy and Heritage Museum in OK City. That was on their trip out to Albequerque where they won two yodeling awards at the Western Music Association annual convention and awards show. It is a beautiful state!

FiddlinMitch
    FiddlinMitch
    Participant

Joe Great job. I am Just getting started. So seeing someone else making good progress helps me feel that I will get there one day.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Your daughters are yodeling contest winners?   Wow…I haven’t heard yodeling except for Doc Watson…lol.  Lost art.

Joe
    Participant

Next time thru Oklahoma stop by an fiddle, and I would like to hear some yodeling.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Yes, they are national yodeling champs! Joe, we’ll let you know if we are every passing through OK again but we don’t have any plans as of now. 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I wanna hear your yodeling daughters!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Ha OK here they are. This was a few years ago!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

How in the world did they learn that?????  Very impressive!  Even my husband likes that, and believe me…he’s no fan of yodeling,,.hes heard a lot of bad yodeling…lol.  Thanks for sharing.  This is really good!  Husband now likes yodeling, he says…lol.  But I sure ain’t gonna try to learn…lol.

Joe
    Participant

Now thats some nice yodeling.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thanks! They learned from their “Riders in the Sky” CDs.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in