Old time bowing study right here…

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum Old time bowing study right here…

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 14 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hey guys…anyone with even a mild interest in OT bowing, which might even cone in handy for Bluegrass, etc., here and there…might wanna have a look at this excellent OT fiddler’s site. Of course, her dad is a famous OT fiddler too, do I guess she got an early start.  I think if you watch any of her videos, she slows way, way down as she goes along and you can see how her bowing works.  Anyway, she doesn’t seem to ever use Nashville Shuffle, Eric in my poor ol amateur thinking is the official starting point from which all bowing springs…yet…I am probably wrong on many levels.  But if you get the time to study one or two of her videos, sone folks here might find it interesting stuff.

http://www.raynagellert.com/tune-videos/

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Great site! OT fiddling does does not use a lot of Nashville Shuffle.

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

Is holding the bow so far from the frog typical in OT bowing?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yes, it is. Many old timers used that bow grip. But I’ve seen lots of old time fiddlers who hold it on down by the frog, yet with all kinds of crazy grip configurations.  A lot of them grip the whole frog with the thumb going underneath the frog.  That’s how I like to hold it, myself, although of course I’m just a front porch amateur…but I like to have my thumb under the frog and all my knuckles resting over top, with the pinky sort of balancing toward the end, and the index knuckle apply a slight amount of downward pressure…seems to me, with my self-taught, limited experience, that bow grip allows me to get the right feel for shuffling, although it’s a little on the shaky side for long bowing…still, it’s what I’m comfortable with.  But, yeah…lots and lots of old time players grip way up high on the bow like that. I think she’s so good, it’s obviously working well for her.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Some people use a bear grip,  I won’t demonstrate this time!  🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Crunch!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in