Old time womenfolk

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Those of us who are fans of old time fiddling and music know so many of the great old time men fiddlers, who inspired generations of future fiddlers and old time musicians.  And I’ve heard stories where some of them learned on the porch from their granny, etc., but it seems harder to find the actual women who were out there doing the same thing.  I’ve heard of a couple…here’s an interesting one I just stumbled across messin around online tonight while doing my usual phone calls. Looks interesting…now I’m wanting to find some of her tunes.

http://www.toddclewell.com/sarah.html

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That’s really cool! Here is the link to her tunes, but not her playing them. Does anyone have an old recording?

http://www.toddclewell.com/happy.html

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’d love to hear some…I can’t buy anything at the moment…lol…just got the new viola and my next spending money will gave to be for an extra set of strings.  Makes me nervous to not keep one step ahead on strings ( and I have a lot of little critters needing strings!) and coffee…but sometime I might search around the net and see if there’s anything anywhere.  Sounds interesting, and, well it’s just good to finally see some of the womenfolk who were just as busy preserving old fiddle tunes as the menfolk were.  I hate to think where the old time world would be if Henry Reed wouldn’t have been discovered late in his life.  Oh yeah, he was menfolk…lol…but I mean, it’s just kinda cool to hear about the womenfolk too.  I can’t help but wonder how many people with a head full of fiddle tunes slipped away silently, and all that we lost for our own musical culture today. So happy for all that was preserved and passed along to the next generations!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well here’s somebody’s recording of something called “Sarah Armstrong’s Tune,” the fiddler’s name is Rachel Eddy, I believe it was.  I saw there are a buncha people on YouTube thatve been playing this tune…so…it’s out there. It sounds vaguely familiar to me….but I don’t think it’s this particular tune I’m thinking of…I think there’s a different tune I’ve heard in the past that sounds a lot like this…or who knows, maybe it was the same tune and maybe it went by a different name or else I never heard anybody say the name…or maybe it was entirely different.  Anyway, I do like the tune and will try to learn it someday.  Not yet…too much other stuff going on right now.  Someday though…

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by cricket cricket.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Ok…yes I’ve heard this before, and I think I even played the guitar on this with other people…what we called jams, which were nothing like Jan’s I’ve been to recently, but just everybody having a potluck at somebody’s place, and anybody that had an instrument playing,while the others talked, kids ran around, dogs begged, etc.  Anyway…I remember playimg this…the A part exactlyas I hear it here, the B part not the same, but I don’t remember how it went…this one sounds more like what I’ve heard than the first one I linked…has anybody else heard this?  I guess either it has another name or else I just didn’t know the name.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

It’s a really cool tune. Definitely in the Sally Ann family, with strong shades of Arkansas Traveler. Cricket, thanks for posting these videos.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in