Open Guitar Tuning for Children

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Open Guitar Tuning for Children

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello John,

I’m on the hunt for a 3/4 classical guitar for my 6 year old grandson. Any recommendations?

In your usual handy fashion, could you make an instructional video illustrating how to open-tune a guitar for a child? Also, I’ll be grateful for any guidance you’d like to pass along which will help me get him started.

With much appreciation!!
    Barbara

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hi Barbara, thank you for re-posting this question after the server migration.

For small classical guitars, Ibanez makes a pretty good but inexpensive product. I think that a 3/4 guitar is a good idea for kids, because chords are so hard to make on a regular sized guitar.

Speaking of making chords, one easy way to let a kid practice rhythm and chord changes is to tune it open for them and just let them use barre chords. This is accomplished by tuning the first string from an E down to a D, then letting them just barre the first four strings to make different chords. Alternatively, you can also tune the 5th and 6th strings down a full step from A and E to G and D, and then barre all six strings.

The chart below shows some of the major chord positions with the first string tuned down to a D.

In the video below, I explain how to tune the guitar, then demonstrate some of the major chord progressions:

Good luck! Hopefully you’ll be posting videos of you and the little guy soon. 🙂 John

Participant

Thanks, my friend.

Does a Yamaha or Cordoba 3/4 classical measure-up to the Ibanez 3/4, quality-wise?

E malama pono, (take care) 🙂
    Barbara

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Not from personal experience, but from the reviews I’ve read, the Yamaha CGS102A and the Cordoba Protege are very comparable to the Ibanez 3/4 classical guitar. All of these are name brands, and I’m sure that you can’t go wrong with any of them. But like any instrument, it is best if you get a chance to play it before you buy it!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.