Options for Muting

This topic contains 12 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    bellastriker819
    bellastriker819
    Participant

Hello All,

At the end of the month I will be travelling internationally for work for two weeks.  I don’t want to be fiddle-less for two weeks and I also don’t want to miss the practice opportunity of having time without three tiny metronomes saying “mommy” at about 140 bpm.

There shouldn’t be a problem carrying the case on, the company flies us business class and that usually has more lax carry on requirements.

My problem will be that I will be in a hotel so playing might upset other guests in rooms next to mine.  Are there any effective muting options that would put the fiddle at the volume that one would normally watch tv in a hotel?

thanks 🙂

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Hi Bella – Check out the “Cricket” violin (see below). I have the **acoustic model which is relatively considered a silent violin. I attach a rubber mute when I am in the hotel.  I can hear sound with the mute: next-door guest cannot.  Without the mute: next door guest may hear sound.

The “Cricket” is lightweight. Change in outside temperature doesn’t seem to affect it; it stays in tune.

The only thing I don’t like is the case.  It looks like a gun case.  I use a tennis racket bag. I added inside protective padding. A 3/4 bow will fit in a tennis bag.  (I added a cardboard roll from a parchment paper box; the 3/4 bow slides inside.)

Check it out.

https://www.magicfluke.com/Magic-Fluke-Cricket-Violin-p/cricket.htm

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I believe there is a muting device commercially available, but I don’t know what it’s called. Alternative home remedies include (but are not limited to) the following:

-Invert fiddle, then play normally

-Remove strings, then play normally

-Purchase a new bow, then, without rosining it, play normally

Please realize that the information presented does not necessary represent the views or opinions of bluegrassdaddy.com and or any affiliates thereof. We take no responsibility for any damages either to persons or properties sustained while following this advice. We also urge the reader to note the extreme and heavy sarcasm used throughout this message, and hope you have a sense of humor. As to useful advice, hopefully someone will step forward with some relevant info (as Nancy has done)

goettjp
    goettjp
    Participant

I also own a Cricket.  Perfect for traveling.  I store mine in a 5″ document tube, including bow.

For muting I like the heavy brass/metal piece that drops over the bridge.

Joe
    Participant

I have heard but havent tried paper clips will mute the strings good.

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

A rubber mute works well if you really want to tone things down.  Volume is somewhat adjustable depending how far down you push it on the bridge.  It does affect the sound quality but would keep the volume very reasonable in a hotel room.  A rolled up dollar bill woven between the strings behind the bridge or a wire mute also work; but they may still be too loud for the hotel room.

bellastriker819
    bellastriker819
    Participant

<hr />

Thank you all,

The cricket looks amazing but a little out of my price range for a quick fix.  I will probably invest in one eventually as I travel several times a year for work.

@Gunnar, thank you for noting that it was sarcasm, I’m so new at this, I would’ve probably done it ;).

I will probably go with the option of a mute to slip on, I have seen a few rubber ones on amazon.

goettjp
    goettjp
    Participant

I used to use clothes pins to pinch the bridge of my banjo to mute it.  have also used the rubber type.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

The rubber ones work very well, and sound like just what you’re looking for.  It mutes the sound, and changes it’s characteristics, but on my fiddle the rubber mute has a very beautiful sound all it’s own.  Until then, just clip a clothes pin on the bridge.  You can experiment which side or put one on each side.  Maximum mute is two clothes pins on each side.  Some people, under certain situations perform with a full size mute, because they can sound so good.  Many pro’s use a small mute type attachment on just one or two strings on the tailpiece to get the sound their looking for.  Everyone should do some experimenting with different forms of muting or slight mute effects.  It can be surprising…Make sure you get the mute seated so the slots are spaced correctly, and the mute is only touching the bridge and not against a string.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Also, when you fly, hopefully you can avoid this:::(This was a 1661 original)

Click on link below for article…..

“Ouch”

Angela
    Participant

Use lower tuning. I normally play in Cajun tuning FCGD

Also use metal mute that take a way the sound vibration verywell…

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Great advice, everyone! LOL Gunnar. I have had good success with the clothes pin method, and also the rubber mute as shown below. The idea is to keep the bridge from transmitting vibrations from the strings to the top plate.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in