Orange Blossom Bluegrass vrs country?

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Tune-specific help and comments Orange Blossom Bluegrass vrs country?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Today after studying Orange Blossom bluegrass style, I attempted to play the country version with the tab sheet. Boy did I get lost. its kind of hard to count it whether by 2 or by4 as there is so much going on.  Steve Sradler if you are out there, you offered a few months ago to record a country backtrack with fiddle guide. I think I really need that.  I have friends who do the country version where I hope to play one day. Also how does anyone else do it? Any hacks? thanks Erika

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

Hi Erika

I’ve not seen any difference (except maybe instrumentation) in any “country version” or “Bluegrass version”.

it has three parts

Part 1 vocals = in measures of 4 beats
    line one 4 meas of E chord
    line two 3 meas of A chord and 1 meas of E
    line three 3 meas of B chord and 1 meas of E

Part 2 long E of improvisation/train imitation etc. is of undetermined length, the end of which is signalled musically by a modulation to key of A and usually one full measure of A chord.

instrumental Break
    ( X4 )
    A / A E/ E / E A /
    A / A D / D A / E A /

Hope this helps some. If you have more questions let us know.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by fiddlewoodfiddlewood.
    Participant

doesn’t help me yet. Timing has been my issue. I guess I just need to plow through the video more to memorize  it.  Still wish I had the fiddle country at 100 though. Thanks.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

I will post a slow version for you !

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Hi Erika: Here’s a video I found that I would call a “country” version simply because it has electric instruments and drums, etc. It’s the same pattern that Dave indicates above. The instrumentalist does a superb job of playing it. 🙂

https://youtu.be/-LlUWp1eips

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

Erika, you can run any track downloaded from here through the free software “Amazing Slow Downer” and have it go any practically speed you want and stay in tune.

for android

for Iphone, ipad

for Windows

for Mac

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Erika this video is 30% slower , However , I think you will be better off using DR: Johns Measure by measure lesson on it , to learn it !

Participant

Thanks Steve, I am predominantly auditory learner so this is great thanks.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Your welcome , I too learn by hearing a tune played slower , But Playing along with John on the measure by measure moves me along to the next step as some of the moves or Techniques  you cannot pick up without monkey see monkey do , Good luck , If you need anything else feel free to ask !

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Thank you Steve!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.