Orange Blossom Special

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    kevinjkevinj
    Participant

Wow, John, this is the first measure-by-measure video that I’ve watched here (I’m a newbie subscriber). It’s beautiful because it has such detail — I can see you, see the marks on your bow, hear your words, see a close up of your fingers, watch the bouncing blue ball, hear the notes, and track the beat and notes along on the PDF sheet music you’ve provided.

For an advanced song like OBS, that measure-by-measure video teaching method is worth its weight in gold. Easily the best one on the net. (Now for the scary part — I thought I read somewhere on these forums that you’re going to stop measure-by-measure, and switch to call-and-response instead.

I can see c-and-r for simple songs, but not for material like this (slides, pings, verbal tips that don’t show on the PDF, etc). Measure-by-measure is the clear winner for this level of play, I think.

And that’s because a lot of the magic in such playing is in the ornaments, slides, hammer-ons, and tricks, rather than just in the skeleton notes of the songs. So I hope you keep doing measure-by-measure for the tricky stuff.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Thanks Kevin! I am really going back and forth on that idea. I am posting Sweet Georgia Brown (probably this evening) as more of a call and response, and I really don’t know if that is the best way to address the song. I would really like to my subscribers to let me know what they think on the issue. If the new method is not working as well, I will go back to the measure-by-measure on the intermediate songs.

Great ScottGreat Scott

I think the measure-by measure method is pure gold! Well, at least it is for my beginner fingers. ūüôā

nagumaqnagumaq
    Participant

I just love it all. All of it, every way lesson and every other way lesson, having not noticed there were different styles of teaching here.It s Midnight and I just watched John play OBS in both Country and Bluegrass and I m all in. I want to listen to it all night . And if I pass out ,I`keep it playing till I wake up :O)
    Cant wait for this lesson. Wonder how long it will take me to get it up to speed? Jerusalem Ridge took me 5 months :O ) So worth it by the way. There is no time, there is only songs played .
    Neither could I tell if John gained or loss wait :O)
    I ma go listen to it again now :O)
    Good night,
    Great job John :O)
    GU

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Thanks! I am really looking forward to hearing you play this in the Lion’s Den, Gu.

ruckydooruckydoo
    Participant

<p>Haven’t seen this one of the young Michael Cleveland before. ¬†I’ve been picking him up on YouTube for last couple months and absolutely enjoy seeing him perform. ¬† What a fiddler! ¬†</p>

cricketcricket
    Participant

<p>Oh no…I’ve been reminded…OBS…I’ve been too busy to learn ANYTHING, lately, ¬†I really need to keep this one up there in my PLEASE LEARN list! ¬†Everybody always asks to hear this one!</p>

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Cricket, you have to learn this one!

Participant

<p>My fiddle teacher, Jeff Guensey, plays with him sometimes. ¬†Says he’s a freak of nature on the guitar and mandolin too. ¬†</p>

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

I’m sure! Some people ooze talent. He squirts it!

Participant

Years later, this is a Godsend. My brother has requested that I learn this as well. Listening to some of the wonderful fiddlers out there (Chubby Wise comes to mind), there was no way I thought I’d ever learn it since it was just a bit above “Twinkle Twinkle” lol.

Thanks to this lesson, it just might be doable!!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Uh-oh…all this time has gone by and have I learned it????¬† I was working on it back when John first put it up…husband had a post retirement job that kept him out until about 2:30 a.m.¬† I sat with our only little doggie, Cricket, up at night working on tunes from the site…half asleep…Cricket always in my lap while I played…he quit the job because the hours were terrible…after that, I went to sleep at night instead of staying up learning tunes…lol.¬† Time flies.¬† I have to get back to it before another 6 years run by.

Participant

Your little fur baby’s name is Cricket? How cool is that. Ours is Roscoe.

Maybe we can encourage each other to continue working on OBS. Just might be doable!

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.