Overly enthusiastic? Maybe…2021

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum Overly enthusiastic? Maybe…2021

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    cricketcricket
    Participant

I won’t call it a NY Resolution, because those always fail.  But I’m sitting here…thinking up a tune to play…and for a few days now i can’t think of a doggone thing to play…have I played everything I know on my recording studio and nothing left?  Maybe.  But, I joined up on this site, several years ago…learned some tunes, life got busy, and blah blah blah, the rest is history.

But nothing like breaking your arm and having the potential threat to never play again to kick your heels into action, hey?  Lol…seriously, this time 4 months ago I thought I would never play an instrument, or even open a jar or tie my shoes again.  Even though the surgeon said it would heal up to nearly 100 per cent of what it was before…going by how it felt at the time, I had my hesitations on believing that.

Well, but, with the pandemic and all the turmoil that went through 2020 with us all…a hope for healing in so many ways…my arm probably at the bottom of that list by this point, because it’s feeling pretty close to normal now…but hopeful for our country to heal in so many ways and for the world to heal…for all of us, all over the world, to seek out lessons from our pain and whatever our feelings during all these events…so what do I do?

Well putting all that together…run out of tunes to play, arm once crippled and now well, everybody hurting from all the pandemic has done to us, a country trying to come to terms with acceptance and back to loving each other again, somehow…just makes me wanna get back to the lessons, the reason I joined up here in the first place.

I thought of going through the lessons I’d worked on for a couple of years and re-learning the parts forgotten…and my goal was never to repeat back exactly what I learned in each lesson, but to learn it and then make it playable in my own way and infuse a good bag of fiddle tricks to use for whenever I need them…anyway I thought of going backthrough those lesseons again…I attempted to do that one year for New Year Resolution…maybe last year or the year before…well I got busy and didn’t keep up.

This year I’m doing it differently…step one…print the lesson list.  Done…why did that come out to 17 pages???  LOl…that alone is kinda scary.

Step two…start at the beginning…yes, gonna go through each lesson…at least that’s my enthusiastic goal…start with beginner.  Now, I’m not saying i’m some good fiddler, but I’m thinking, hoping, daydreaming maybe, that if I start with the As and go through the beginner tunes, I hopefully anyway, might get through more than one tune at a sitting…we’ll see, but I think so and hope so.  So I’m hoping to learn something about different stuff happening in tunes I never really tried to learn…get through them…start that melting down into my brain process.

Step three…get out of the beginner list and move into the intermediate list…this is probably more where I belong…some might be easy for me and I already know some I’ve tried just were not that easy and took some real effort for me to learn.  Go through at my own pace.  Learn something about celtic, other styles and tunes I haven’t felt I had the time or energy for.

Step three…you guessed it…spend the rest of my life learning the really cool…really hard…really awesome fiddle tunes.  I’ve already been through some of those lessons too…so I know I can do it…but it’s tough.  Well worth whatever time and effort it takes.

Now of course gardening season is coming up soon and that’ll take a buncha my time…and we tend to try to get long walks in the woods in nice weather, then grandson likes for me to ride bikes and play fristbee and stuff…but…I can grab whatever time whenever and stay on one lesson as long as it takes…if I only get one lesson down during the summer months…ok…gotta stick with it…

Overly enthusiastic?  Probably…lol.  But for as long as I can stick with it…I’m x- ing out the tunes, one by one, and chalking up the learning.  Just gotta do this.  A-Z…are there any z tunes on there????

cricketcricket
    Participant

I should add, it’s likely I’ll die of old age before I come close to this goal…lol.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Peggy, I read every last word of the above and I wish you all the luck in the world with your new ideas. I also very much appreciate that you are using lots of new paragraphs because it makes it so much easier for my tired old eyeballs to read. So, thanks for all you had to say and the way you said it all. 🙂

My favorite lesson of Dr. John’s is still “Blue Violet Waltz. I just love that tune. 🙂

cricketcricket
    Participant

I’ll get to that one…I might be 95 years old, but I’ll get to it!!!!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Even though it was Granny Day around here and I was kinda tired tonight after it was unGranny Day again…lol…I sat down and went through the As on the beginner list…they are quite a bit easier than I thought…I probably am better suited at this point for intermediate lessons…so I found myself running through the metronome version or skipping onto the intermediate version with the metronome.  I wanted to hear all about the tunes, the history, whose style we are playing and all of that…plus, being unfamiliar with a lot of the tunes and also got to play some easier stuff in C.  My fingers just really do not like to play in C…i really have a hard time with it, so I did some of those in C tonight.  If there’s fiddle time tomorrow, I’ll begin with the Bs on the lesson list.  Basically, I’m motivated because it’s a new year…boy is it ever a new year…lol…not sure how much better 21 will be than 20, but hoping it does get better soon…anyway, new year, new arm…I just want to learn everything you can learn on a fiddle…within reason, of course…lol.  Let’s hope the year brings improvement over 2020…let’s hope there’s a lot of good learning and I hope my motivation and time for fiddling both stay at top level…never know about that…life gets busy and hectic when you’re just not counting on that…but I hope I can just have the same amount I had tonight everynight for a few years…lol…if possible.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Well I didn’t get too far into my 17 page lesson list tonight…but when I got to the Ballad of Serenity…had to laugh…Mike is always playing some show just as I’m cooking supper…I’m not a TV watcher at all, but I always have to turn around and say whatever he’s watching I love the fiddling…well, guess what…It’s this show that plays the Ballad of Serenity…lol…so I guess I better pay special attention and learn that one for Mike!  Of course, it’s another one in C…I’ve always run and hide when I hear the key of C…so I’m getting some good exposure to the key.  Now I know what that awesome fiddling has been when he turns on that show while I get supper going.

Then I got down to Be Thou my Vision…very nice tune…again, another new one to me, and just a reminder of how beautifully John plays these tunes.  So far, I’m very encouraged going down this list, attempting to at least spend a little time with every tune taught here…I might not be able to learn tons of them, but I know I’m already learning tons FROM them…

Gotta quit for the night because I’m just already getting sleepy and I’m gonna spend a little bit of time just playing with some backup tracks until I fall over…lol.  This is fun…I’m looking forward to doing a little bit of this every night.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Well tonight is virtual painting class with my daughter and grandson, so I’m falling behind in my list of lessons.  However, if I still have any energy left, I’ll try to finish the Bs on the beginner list (trying to get through the intermediate lessons when they appear there) and move forward from there.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Well…booming right through these lessons.  Just looking through the ones I’ll be attempting to get through tonight, if I get the time to spend on it.  I do want to pause with the Angus Campbell and Apples in Winter…because I would love to really learn them and be able to just sit down and play those.  But anyway…I believe I am now up to Back up and Push.  Oh no…I went through that early on in my BGDaddy earlier experience.  I remember I worked on it really hard…but never could get it…for one thing C eludes me…I get lost trying to play in C…then, for another thing, well, it’s just hard.  I actually did better back then when I was new here at some of the advanced lessons than I ever could on bu&push.  So, here we go again…I’m kinda scared of it, but also wondering if my playing has gotten better enough to where this one would even be considered possibly playable?  I’m also wondering why this is considered intermediate instead of advanced…it’s just really doggone hard, in my opinion…lol…at least for me.  I remember the last time I tried to learn it I had to request a slower practice mp3 to be put on here…he did it, and once again I will say a big thank you for that.  No way I’d ever get it up to speed if I could even play it.  But anyway, tonight, if I do get the chance to go back through the lesson list…BU&Push will probably be there waiting for me…ouch.  We’ll see how I do with it this time. I’m guessin’ it’s probably been maybe 7 or 8 years since I tried the other time…hopefully my playing has improved since then…who knows?  I’ll find out later.  Would love to be able to play this, but I might have to wait until I’m 100 years old.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Great tunes you’re playing through and refreshing your memory with. I especially like Angus Campbell and play it quite a bit since it’s a popular tune along the Canadian border where I spent a lot of time as a youngster.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Well I got sidetracked a little tonight by grandson and his mom and dad wanting a 4th player in a board game they wanted to play … so… well maybe I can still get to it tonight…probably won’t make it to Back up and Push…lol…that’s probably a good thing, in my case!  It was one of those games popular now where the players are all on the same side…it’s the players against the game…and tonight was the first time i was ever present when the players beat the game…so …yay!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Well I got to Blue Violet Waltz…really reminds me of Golden Fiddle Waltz…another one I worked my way through and forgot later…lol…it was just way too hard for me back then…but B.V.Waltz is very nice.  I went through the intermediate lesson only tonight…I think I can learn it…although it’s rough on the ol’ pinky.  Made it to Back up and Push too…amazingly, I can get through that one so much better than back a few years ago when I tried it so hard…I might be able to get that one down if I practice it a bunch, although not that fast of course.  I just can’t think, play or even hear that fast.

The others I just worked through the lesson…didn’t make any effort to say I wanna practice all of them and really learn to play each, not at this time anyway.  i thought about black mt. rag for a little while, but finally after going through the lessons decided it’s not on my list to learn at the moment…it’s more hectic than what I feel like playing for now…I might come back to that one later on at some point.  For now, just running through the lessons as I can…and if I think I’d like to stop and work at something a little more, I do.

One thing I am noticing…and it’s a good thing…with time, you do get better…I mean, I tried to play some of this stuff a few years earlier and it was so doggone hard to do…now it’s not that hard…so…5 years of playing anything makes things easier!  That’s a good thing.  But I have pinky exhaustion now…lol…Blue Violet wore my pinky out bigtime…so…gonna get the dogs ready and get to bed and rest my poor ol’ pinky.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by cricketcricket.
    FrederickFrederick
    Participant

There’s one of those pesky little “climbing licks” that gets me just about every time I play Big John McNeil. I have to practice it every darned time I play that tune in order to be able to get through it correctly. It’s just a finger exercise but after heart surgery back in 2006 both of my pinkys (pinkies?) about gave out on me. So, I too, have a pinky strainer tune. lol.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Why are pinkies so uncooperative????  Not to mention hard to know how to spell…lol.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Well I made it down to Cajun Fiddle tonight…I think that’s where I stopped with going through lessons…now I can’t remember for sure because I took a little time to just jam along with some tracks too.  Tired though…today was our once-a-week Granny Day…a whole day of Grannying and I’m usually wiped out after that…lol.  Also, daughter and grandson and I are signed up for more art classes during the weeks in the winter time…so…that means later nights for me to get back to my goal of at least trying to work my way through every lesson here.  I can’t wait to get to the advanced lessons…lol…those’ll all take me six months each to work through…lol…  I’m on a roll, though, and don’t wanna lose momentum.  Gotta keep going…don’t know why…I just gotta do it.  Gonna try…life gets busy though, that’s what usually dissolves my new year resolutions…but so far, so good with this one.

cricketcricket
    Participant

There’s some really neat tunes to learn.  Some I’ve learned before but really just forgot about them…but they’re not that hard to play and so I’ll be remembeing them again.  Some are flatout hard to play and I plan to make some time to work hard on them and get them down.  I can’t remember when I joined up here, but I have more fiddling experience by this point…I mean, not a lot, but more than I had before…and I think the lessons all seem easier for me to get through…so, a little work and we’ll see what I end up with!

I hope Wednesday Night Waltz gets a lesson here one day. Then another one I hope gets on here would be Me and My Fiddle…only a version for just 4 strings.  Maybe one day I’ll put in a request for those tunes.  I’ve got plenty on my plate at the moment though.

Now, these are pretty tough tunes…Me and My Fiddle:  https://youtu.be/y3R6HV732RY

Wednesday Night Waltz:  https://youtu.be/POFzGxvV0Lw

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by cricketcricket.
    Nancy BitterNancy Bitter
    Participant

Hey Cricket:

When I make my list I go thru it by name of song only.  No notes.  And see how much I can play solo, without notes.  My list is about 14 songs now….if I don’t know all the notes I play harmony.

Have fun!!!!  sounds like a great goal

cricketcricket
    Participant

Thanks, Nancy!  It is fun. Trying to get through as many of the lessons as I can before my motivation poops out…lol.

cricketcricket
    Participant

I got down to Faded Love last night and I think I’m gonna take a real pause in my pace here and try to get a few things down to playable…probably have too many to work on at one time.  But Faded Love is so cool on fiddle…so many versions on the lessons and I wanna spend a little time on that and see if I can ever do them justice!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Well I ended up getting stuck on the Blue Violet Waltz lesson, getting it to where I could record it on the the little presonus machine and put it up on youtube…although I can barely get through it, so it does need more practice.  Still, with me, if I get ’em up on youtube it’s my little mental signal that it’s time to keep moving on from there…so…now I’m stalling in my quest for going through every lesson here, stalling to see if I can possibly get Dixie Hoedown enough to record it.  Not sure I can…but I might stick with that one for a few days and see if I can get better with it.

Nancy BitterNancy Bitter
    Participant

love Cajun fiddle tunes but never really worked at them to learn.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.