Pass me not o gentle savior

This topic contains 45 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Frederick Frederick 1 month ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Joe
    Participant

Lesson this would be nice. Sheet music for this version would be nice to have.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Real nice playing and double stopping. Thanks a lot for posting this. Keep ’em coming…….

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I absolutely love it , Thanks very much !

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Is this you playing? That was really good!

Hakan Lindholm
    Participant

Very good. I like it a lot.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

It’s as good as Kenny Baker !

Joe
    Participant

Nope not me playing just found it on youtube. IT would make a good lesson if John has time. I would like to have the sheet music for this. On the other hand I do have a couple of Gliga violins that this guy is playing. They are nice sounding fiddles.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I 2nd on this would be a great lesson , I would love to have the tablature for it !

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Kenny Baker and Blaine Sprouse fiddle it in B Flat (2 flats) and the fellow playing in the video that Joe posted is playing it in A (3 sharps). Myself, I just prefer Bb, but I guess there’s almost as many open strings either way.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Fred I would like to hear this one from you !

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I’ll work on it Steve and play it here soon. I just took a few minutes and figured out a nice break for it in the key of G. I figured it would be a lot easier for a lot of the jammers on Friday nights. Better that than scare ’em off with Bb. I like playing it in Bb and at some point I’ll record it there, too.

Stay tuned. I’m busy for a while, but I’ll get to it because it’s a fun tune.

Have a great day. (I miss Cricket) :(

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Thanks Fred ,  guitars players can always use the capo on the third fret and play B flat in the G chord ! I’m looking forward to you playing it ! I miss Cricket too !

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Hey Steve, for me, it’s actually easier to fiddle in Bb than it is in G.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Then Fred let them capo and play it in B flat !

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Yeah, it’s the bassist I wonder about. lol

I have the sheet music for this…just not sure best way to post it.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Gary,  do you have the music for that Kenny Baker arrangement?

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Here’s the arrangement I made yesterday in the key of G. Feel free to re-arrange all you want, or make a tablature out of it. It really works out well. It’s just that it actually seems easier to play in Bb for me.

Joe
    Participant

Hey thanks Mr. Fredrick

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

You bet, Joe. Glad to help.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That’s some great fiddlin right there!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Do you have the notation for Bb Fred?  It is originally written in Ab.  It sounds a little odd in Ab because of the open string harmonics, until you add the chords with double stops, and then it becomes magical.  I’d like the Kenny Baker version in Bb if you have it….I can’t for the life of me decipher those chords Kenny plays….. Rodger

You can watch Blaine playing it here, but I still can’t figure out the chords…

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I don’t have a Bb version written out, Rodger, and certainly not as beautiful as Blaine plays it. I wish I did.  But, I do play at it in Bb and enjoy it better than my version in G. I may get motivated at some point to learn it and write it out the way Blaine performs it and/or the way Kenny does it. It really is gorgeous either way!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I’ll see if I can find time to write out my version from Blaine’s version that I posted to the lion’s den earlier this year…or was it last year?

Maybe a video? might be quicker…

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

That would be great, Dave. Have a nice day.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I spent some time trying to document those chords, and can’t crack the nut.  Even watching Blaine play them….I can’t figure them out.  Close, but it’s just not there.  I think  Blaine plays it as close as possible to the Kenny Baker version….at least he said that was his goal.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Rodger: Here are some of the double stops found in the tune. I have not arranged them in any special order. Just play each chord and you may recognize where it fits in the tune. I apologize for not having the time to transcribe this piece but when Dave plays his video for you, it’ll all make sense. He probably knows a ton more double stops, too.

I just threw a bunch of chords up there on the top staff and put the fiddle tab on the neck below. :)

Note: You may be able to right click and open the image in a new tab and have it appear larger.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Frederick Frederick.
    Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Here are two more Bb chords that are used a lot by Blaine and Kenny

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

sorry, I tried twice and messed up both videos…been a busy couple weeks and haven’t played much…out of light now…I’ll try again tomorrow…

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

OK Fred…Thanks for the trouble.  I wish I had my theory from college days, that would sure help to figure it out.  But it all just evaporated in the empty space up there….
    I guess if I can’t duplicate it I’ll have to settle for my own arrangement.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hope you can get a video up tomorrow, Dave!

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Frederick and Fiddlewood:

“Pass Me Not” sheet music in different keys:

(1)  Scroll  down the list of songs.  (2) click on key box.  (3) sheet music appears.

http://www.pbmusicworkshop.com/Transpose.htm

Joe
    Participant

Hey thanks Nancy for the link. I looked at the link and I haven’t tried playing off the sheet music yet. I guess it was written for piano maybe?

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

If you choose “Pass Me Not” in the key of B-flat on the table; it appears to be the same beginning measures that Fiddlewood downloaded.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks, Nancy. That person went to a lot of work to provide a nice free site full of useful information. Thanks for the link.

I transcribed my arrangement in G from one in a hymn book in Ab. Mine is very similar, too. The trouble with my transcription is that the violin double stops are mostly the top two parts of piano four-part gospel-type piano that I adjusted for fiddle. The pretty double stops Kenny and Blaine used are somewhat different and have some interesting embellishments added for “taste”.

Here’s my first feeble attempt at it:

It takes about one duokazillion passes thru the video to get an idea as to what they’re doing and I usually tire before reaching even halfway through. :)

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Frederick Frederick.
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Joe, until some better instruction comes along here is a video on my version of the Verse…Mostly taken from Blaine Sprous’ version in the video above.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

OK Fred, if it only takes a duokazillion passes, then I shouldn’t be discouraged I guess.  I was thinking it might take a little longer.

My problem is also the different sounding fiddles.  No two fiddles sound alike, and to my ear the sound is so different that even the same notes have a different flavor, especially when blending in a chord.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Joe, Here is a video on my version of Blaine’s version of the chorus. Sorry for any difficulties, I’m not a pro or an instructor but this should get you started…

Angela
    Participant

Oh my goodness guys….this is pure gold!  Thanks Dave and Fred for sharing all this hard work with us.  YES  duokazillion…..to start!

Dave…your demo and I are going to spend a lot of time together.  :^)

Joe
    Participant

good vids Fiddlewood, thanks i will give it a go.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.