Percussive dance tutorials?

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Percussive dance tutorials?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

Anyone know where I can find online percussive dance tutorials? I’d prefer Celtic styles (e.g. Irish or Canadian step dancing) but I’m also open to clog or buck dance, I’d just prefer not big band or jazz tap dance styles. I’d obviously prefer free lessons or YouTube lessons, but I might be willing to pay a little if it’s not expensive. Any suggestions appreciated thx

cricketcricket
    Participant

When I went to clogging classes with my daughter (she learned, I fumbled and stumbled and never learned…lol) there was some youtube channel showing various clogging steps…I don’t remember now what it was called…but it had the steps we were always supposed to be working on…I’ll ask her if she remembers it…that’s all I know…there is something out there…lol…hope you can find what you’re looking for!

Participant

A Google search found this website

Online Step Dance Lessons

Does anyone know anything about it or if it’s good?

Participant

Also I know John’s daughters are step dancers, so maybe he could point me towards something?

Participant

I was pointed towards this site

https://learn.thedancemovement.ie/

I’m thinking about it, but not sure yet

cricketcricket
    Participant

Is it mainly Irish you’re interested in?

cricketcricket
    Participant

Have you seen that African style dance where you dance with your shoulders?  We had Ethiopians in our old church back in the mountains and they taught us all how to dance with our shoulders…lol…odd but true.  The Queen of LeSotho came to visit us too…way back in the mountians, we had a lot more culture than all these guys up here who think they know everything…lol.

Participant

Yes I’m mainly interested in Irish dance. I don’t think I’ve seen any African shoulder dancing, around here the dance is a basic two step pattern that repeats

stumpkickerstumpkicker
    Participant

Here’s a French Canadian video that might be along the lines you want. And it’s free!

Québécois Fiddle Footwork Tutorial

Participant

Hey thanks for the link stumpkicker! I just saw that cuz someone linked it at another place I asked. I’ve already started practicing that with my fiddle

KaeleighKaeleigh
    Participant

Gunnar, I was in an Irish step-dancing troop for 5 years and I can tell you that the internet is a real rabbit hole for that one!!! I’ve never been able to find a video I was satisfied with to remind me of the dances I wanted to remember better. I was supposed to teach 60 ten year olds to dance an Irish jig and I almost went insane trying to find a video to explain it to them. In the end I had to do it on my own…

I also taught myself clog dancing using the DVDs (this was before I even knew YouTube existed) I bought for maybe $10.00-15.00 on Steven’s where I also bought my shoes https://stevensclogging.com/

I taught myself flat footing very recently just by trial and error (twisted ankle anyone?) and watching amazing (but unhelpful mostly) dancers on YouTube 🙂

I just read my post over, and that doesn’t seem very helpful, but maybe 🙂

Fiddle4meFiddle4me
    Participant
    Participant

Thanks Kaeleigh, I figured you’d probably have some experience with this. I’m seriously considering the two websites I linked to, but I don’t really have much money, so I’m not sure about which one to use.

Thanks Grace, but those videos require some prerequisite knowledge of dancing which I don’t have

KaeleighKaeleigh
    Participant

This lady has some free stuff Gunnar, it looked good to me (although she is trying to sell something 🙂 )

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe3cqmWmRrV9lt5xZqbGcYQ

KaeleighKaeleigh
    Participant

Mostly I’ve learned from videos like these:

these people are helpful (although they dance to some pretty awful songs 🙂 ):

https://www.youtube.com/user/tapman77

I wish I could lend you my old dance videos 😉

Participant

Thanks Kaeleigh, I had seen Sabra’s channel, I’ll give it a more serious look. Also, there’s a free Sean nos starter course at thedancemovement.com so I’m gonna try that. Also a channel called moonshine V has a bunch of flatfooting lessons which I’ll use.

I also don’t have any tap shoes, (or any shoes worth wearing) so I’m gonna try to get some hard sole shoes cuz they seem more traditional with buck dancing and sean nos

I wish you could loan me them…

KaeleighKaeleigh
    Participant

Ok, well, this will sound weird, but I’ve found that the best thing (actually, I prefer them even over my good taps shoes) Is old cowboy boots! Because they often have wood, or at least hard plastic soles. Do be careful though, they can be slippery!!!!!!!!! And I’ve even used them in public 🙂

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Gunnar, here is a site my daughter Lorien made a while back as a school project when she was giving some free lessons as an addition to our summer fiddle camp. I’m not sure how much longer it will stay up!

http://stepdancegirl.com/

Participant

Cowboy boots actually would be great, but I don’t have any, and they’re expensive ?

Thanks John, I’ll check that out!

Participant

Kaeleigh, I found this playlist on YouTube that teaches flatfooting (or buck dancing, what’s the difference?) I’m gonna start learning that too.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.